Scored some oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc
How does Red Maple compare with storage concerns? I have a bunch of big rounds bucked and stacked at my brothers house but having trouble finding the time to haul, split, and stack under roof. Cut about 5 weeks ago.

So maybe it is most critical to get it split as soon as possible. I probably have about 3 cord of Red Maple, most ever for me, and way to much to watch it rot down. Oak has spoiled me in regards to storage. Thanks.

I have a local reputation as burning anything that fits in my stove. Red Maple is my favorite as it dries faster then oak, or it feels like it. I like to have things dry and in the stove ASAP.

In my area, Red Maple is generally a little better compared to Silver Maple. Tighter rings, a little heavier (at same moisture content), thus burns a little longer. It seems to take about the same time to dry when cut/spit/stacked.
I don't have any problems with either dry rotting. I have some/mixed maple cut/split/stacked (off the ground with good air flow and sun exposure) going on three years now. Dried for the first year exposed. Top covered only after that. It will be burned this winter though.

The problem lies in the fact the tree has half of the limbs spreading out 30 feet over top of the neighbors house, and his plastic back patio roof, and the tree has been hit by lightning years ago, thats what killed it, but most of the limbs are widow makers....

He told me that he has found a company that will take the big oak down, they will bring a crane truck and a truck with a cherry picker.....he has 2 problems, the tree so close to neighbors house, and he has many other trees around that one that he personally planted, other oaks and a maple, so you can't just drop it, it will have to be a surgical precision type job, one piece at a time ...

The company quoted him over $1,700 and he just can't afford 1/3rd that price, he barely clears $200 a week at his job and he is in bankruptcy, he can barely hold onto his house, cant even afford to keep the power on most months.....

Anyway, i did stack up the oak he gave me that i cut up with my saw......this is perfect campfire/ cooking wood, dry as a bone and highly seasoned....wish i had the whole tree..View attachment 533154View attachment 533155View attachment 533156View attachment 533157

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I see we have a similar job foreman.....lounging and panting...barking when youre not doing something right. All the same.

In my area, Red Maple is generally a little better compared to Silver Maple. Tighter rings, a little heavier (at same moisture content), thus burns a little longer. It seems to take about the same time to dry when cut/spit/stacked.
I don't have any problems with either dry rotting. I have some/mixed maple cut/split/stacked (off the ground with good air flow and sun exposure) going on three years now. Dried for the first year exposed. Top covered only after that. It will be burned this winter though.

Red Maple dries very fast. I have never dealt with silver maple but a lot of red maple. Red Maple is still considered in the lower end of the hardwoods, like paper birch.

I'll have end cracks on cut/split red maple in 7 days.

Back