Scored some wood....Some REAL wood.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Every once in awhile a guy gets lucky, and i guess it makes up for all the times you wonder about that cloud hanging over your head. I was given a piece of property to cut on, about 60 acres or so after they logged it off. From first appearance, it looked pretty good, a lot of small stuff with a lot of scrub and a lot of Poplar, but this last weekend we went around to the back side of the property now that it has dried off. And there was the mother lode, great big oak tops and HICKORY!!!!! And LOTS OF IT!!!:clap:
We dug right in and started on one big ole hickory at the edge of the clearing. Butt end of that hickory took a swipe from each side with a 24 inch bar, and left a few inches in the middle to boot. Loaded the trailer three times that day, and only 8 miles from the house. I counted 6 big hickory tops from the edge of the clearing, and 30 red and white oak within a few feet of the clearing.
I normally load the trailer with a cord+, but that hickory was so heavy we had to go home with less than a full load volume wise.
Excuse the resolution of the pics, took the pics with a camera phone,I will take a few more with an actual camera this weekend when we return.
My crew(my wife and my 10 yr old daughter) were a little tired after that day, but a rootbeer float on the way home cheered them a bit.:cheers:
Nothing like burning hickory, and the oak is a blessing too!

Those blocks look mighty heavy! Good thing the trailer is nice and low to the ground. Great score there, and hickory is my favorite.

Good access, and help to boot. You didn't fill the truck up with wood too??
Nice score though, hickory burns nice and hot.:rock:

Good access, and help to boot. You didn't fill the truck up with wood too??
Nice score though, hickory burns nice and hot.:rock:

Got to keep in mind the truck. All I have right now is a Dodge Dakota V6 4wd pickup for towing. When the trailer is fully loaded down to the overload springs I have 9000 lbs to tow. What you see here is 7000 lbs of wood and 1000lbs of trailer. A lot for that little pickup to get going! And makes it down right hard to stop once you get moving. Saving up for a diesel Dodge with a Cummins.

Last edited:
yup.. it's not what you can pull, but what you can stop.. brakes on both axles is prudent for hauling heavy loads.

took me forever to find my trailer with tandem 7k axles w/brakes on both. 97 cummins 12 valve which pulls trailer with 20k lbs loads is almost bomb proof.

good call on wanting a cummins truck!
be sure and don't get 24valve cummins 1985-2002. those years had all sorts of problems with liftpumps going out. which then takes out fuel inj pump. big $$$ item to fix.

. A lot for that little pickup to get going! And makes it down right hard to stop once you get moving. Saving up for a diesel Dodge with a Cummins.

good score. I hear you .getting tired of seeing my half ton's bumper dragging. had a ton of ash loaded on mine today and it was all it could handle. I sure hope I get my 3/4 ton put together soon!

yup.. it's not what you can pull, but what you can stop.. brakes on both axles is prudent for hauling heavy loads.

took me forever to find my trailer with tandem 7k axles w/brakes on both. 97 cummins 12 valve which pulls trailer with 20k lbs loads is almost bomb proof.

good call on wanting a cummins truck!
be sure and don't get 24valve cummins 1985-2002. those years had all sorts of problems with liftpumps going out. which then takes out fuel inj pump. big $$$ item to fix.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I had no idea. I looked at a 02 just this last weekend, the guy wanted 7K for an 02 with 45K miles on it. It was a sweet deal, but I was leery of the low miles on the odometer for that year of truck, the truck itself looked like it had more than that on it. I know the ECM contols the mileage readout, not the dash cluster, but there is no telling if a ECM had been swapped out on it. Decided to pass on it anyway. I am saving and wanting to pay in cash for the truck and was a few bucks short of his 7k. I figure if I work hard and save this summer, I will have the cash in the bank in time for fall wood delivery time. The price on diesel is also getting a little scary. I get close to 20 with the dakota empty, about 16 pulling my trailer.

if you get a fuel pressure gauge for the 24valve motors you should not have any problems. lots of info on it out on the web.

I had one for a few years and swapped out the lift pump (got it from a Cummins dealer as it was a bunch cheaper then the same dodge part) and was good to go. My BIL has that truck now and has had no problems with the lift pump or the injector pump.

BTW NICE Score on the Firewood! That is a nice find. Around here whenver they harvest wood they chip all the tops up so their is never anything for "free" when they are done...

Stew

I have a similar situation near me that I help my neighbor with. Been cutting on it for 2yrs now. Probably never get it all out before the rest rots.

Latest posts

Back