scoring in 046....how bad is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually you can seal behind the carb similar to the exhaust with some innertube or such cut. I have plates and plugs with my vac test kit but there is usually a way.

OK guys I'll stop with the constant questions. I definitely have what I need to get some more pertinent info.

Much appreciated!!

Just remember on a 2 stroke a pressure/vacuum test has nothing to do with the rings you are just testing for seal on the case as the only air that should be able to get in should be through the carb.

I use solid rubber stoppers available at any hardware store,trim to fit the intake boot and exhaust port on the jug. My engine is rebuilt with new piston/rings installed as I do not want to have to reset the piston/base gasket twice. pressure/vac test through your impulse line. This will get everything in your case that you are concerned with.
BTW, make your base gasket from gasket material...way cheaper.

I use solid rubber stoppers available at any hardware store,trim to fit the intake boot and exhaust port on the jug. My engine is rebuilt with new piston/rings installed as I do not want to have to reset the piston/base gasket twice. pressure/vac test through your impulse line. This will get everything in your case that you are concerned with.
BTW, make your base gasket from gasket material...way cheaper.

I was planning on going w rubber stoppers as well.

While it prob wasn't economical or necessary, I already went ahead and ordered new impulse line, cylinder base gasket, fuel lines and decomp delete kit. I might as well add a new boot to the order too. All this stuff was probably just fine but why mess around w $50 total after all this time and effort.

I'm hoping when I'm done this will be the last thing I have to do to this saw for quite awhile other than plugs, filters, gas oil and shapening

Unseasoned sizzling oak in a bbq is a great idea. Adds lots of flavor. Burning it in a stove is a bad idea.

Can I get an invite the next time you bbq? I'll bring the beer.

Why delete the decomp?

To keep my wimpy friends and relatives from ever using my saw!

In all seriousness I don't have a real good reason other than the conservative side of me says that simplier is better. Why have an extra piece that could possibly fail and either let air in or worse drop a physical piece into a running engine?

I'm probably being dumb, it seems like a well thought out design and its on all the pro model saws. Prob nervous about nothing, but its easy to reinstall if I decide to.

Deleting the decomp makes vacuum test easier as the decomps like to leak some.

I remembered that I have used plastic card stock like an old insurance card with no stamping behind the carb to seal the intake if I did not have a proper sized block off plate handy.

Why delete the decomp?

When you're married long enough, you reserve your forearm strength for other things.

#1) Now that is funny !

#2) I agree with his decision to eliminate the decomp as I have seen the damage when a decomp fails and sheds the balls onto the top of the piston. But there are people that like them and use them without a problem. I have no personal experience with the 046 but my 044 and 045 do not have/or need a decomp. My 066 needs one.

I'm at harbor freight being told the mityvac mv8000 does both pressure and vacuum. I think this guy is way wrong. Based on the mityvac website at least the 8020 and 8500 are the ones that do both....

Unseasoned sizzling oak in a bbq is a great idea. Adds lots of flavor. Burning it in a stove is a bad idea.

Can I get an invite the next time you bbq? I'll bring the beer.

What is "unseasoned sizzling oak" ? I don't cook with anything other than live oak, pecan, or mesquite because that is what we have available. I mix green oak with seasoned oak because it burns slower and cooler. 50 lbs of brisket will take almost 14 hours at 225 degrees to get tender. You are most certainly invited and I drink almost anything!

I'm at harbor freight being told the mityvac mv8000 does both pressure and vacuum. I think this guy is way wrong. Based on the mityvac website at least the 8020 and 8500 are the ones that do both....

Look at the unit and see if it has a switch to flip from pressure to vac. I am not at my shop to check my unit.

Look at the unit and see if it has a switch to flip from pressure to vac. I am not at my shop to check my unit.
It doesn't. No worries I kinda wanted the better unit anyway and I won't be vacuum testing anything until the plug is back in the jug.

Amazon prime here I come.....

PS anyone got any idea what size socket the decomp requires to remove? If memory serves its prob thin wall and deep well...

You are right the description on the 8000 is wrong have seen that before but it still gets listed that way 8000 is vacuum only

#1) Now that is funny !

#2) I agree with his decision to eliminate the decomp as I have seen the damage when a decomp fails and sheds the balls onto the top of the piston. But there are people that like them and use them without a problem. I have no personal experience with the 046 but my 044 and 045 do not have/or need a decomp. My 066 needs one.
Like handing out money to the kids....

What did you think I meant?

FWIW the unplated white mighty vacs don't like the new gasoline much when pressure testing carbs the plated seem to hold up better but for occasional use unplated will be fine.

Looking at the mighty vac site looks like they have dropped many of their choices

Latest posts

Back