Scrench mod and carry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, for years you've carried a scrench pointed tip pointed upwards at your kidneys or maybe lungs if you get knocked back wrong, but it ain't killed you yet, so it's OK and you won't be a clumsy moron until something big hits you unexpectedly. And nothing has ever hit you unexpectedly.
Seems to me that the only possible way anybody can ever get stabbed by a scrench carried tip-up in their back pocket ... is if they somehow bend backwards at the waist far enough for the backs of their knees to hit their shoulderblades. (OW!)

Deliverance_2%20jpg.ashx

Only way I see that happening is if you break your back, in which case, maybe getting stabbed with a scrench is a blessing.

You keep bringing up the straw man of "carrying a scrench on a string." Has anyone, ever, anywhere in the Universe, suggested that?

I can think of about 10,000 things to fret about that are 100 if not 1000 times more likely than getting stabbed with a scrench, such as:
1. Being struck by lightning while riding a unicycle, playing an accordion, eating green eggs and ham and winning the Powerball lottery
2. Getting eaten by a Bengal tiger escaped from the Philadelphia Zoo
3. Catching rabies from a violent prison gang of myotis bats
4. Flying crocodiles hijacking your airliner en route to DisneyWorld
5. Parasites. Literally. Everywhere.
6. Baboon sniper attack...

Ah, for years you've carried a scrench pointed tip pointed upwards at your kidneys or maybe lungs if you get knocked back wrong, but it ain't killed you yet, so it's OK and you won't be a clumsy moron until something big hits you unexpectedly. And nothing has ever hit you unexpectedly.

Just because you've gotten away with it doesn't mean it's a good idea. All of the people defending the ways they have gotten lucky for years is entertaining.

You guys do know there is a reason that sheaths and scabbards were invented, don't you? Many of you probably use them on your saws even when they aren't running, but some of you are offended at the idea of using one for a tool that can penetrate at least ten times deeper than a stationary saw chain.

We humans are inconsistent and funny. Myself included. Have a good evening.
I don't know about you but my back pocket is on my azz. Kidneys are a bit north of there by a fare amount.
Thinking you're a drama queen who probably should not be running a chainsaw or chewing gum while walking.

Thinking you're a drama queen ...
He/she/xi seems to have a very specific and acute OCD/phobia of stabbing/impalement/penetration...something psychosexual, maybe?

I mean, jeez, if you're going to worry about something, what about the Godforsaken PARASITES????

pot.gif

But were any of the things that caused THOSE injuries hanging of the injured parties belt loops on a piece of string before they jumped up and caused the injury?
Let's see, your argument is that since I haven't personally seen someone get stuck by an unsecured scrench, I shouldn't pay attention to the obvious and needless risk? Okey dokey.

Let's see, your argument is that since I haven't personally seen someone get stuck by an unsecured scrench, I shouldn't pay attention to the obvious and needless risk? Okey dokey.
A piece of advise. You have made your argument, no one seems to be buying it. If you don't want to carry your scrench on a string; don't. Leave it with your gas/oil or whatever you feel is appropriate. Don't try to convince others if they don't want to be convinced.

Just because you have an opinion that you feel is right that doesn't mean you have to share it. Will probably save you some frustrations in the future.

I understand your point that there exists a risk of being impaled by a scrench. I myself having seen many terrible injuries from pointy objects, I appreciate your sharing your safety concerns.
This is why I choose to carry my scrench in my wedge pouch or on my bar scabbard and I have my scabbard on my bar when not in use.

Like it was mentioned above, you have made your point, but you continue to push and push your narrative and honestly, it’s become old just seems like you want to have the last word and be “right”.

or a carpenter with a nail through his foot because he disabled the safety on his nailgun because it slowed him down,
You don't have to disable the safety on a nail gun to have that happen. You just have to get a little sloppy and only hit half the board. Watched a co-worker do that on a jobsite. We were building some headers for the doorways and windows on a new house we were framing. He only caught half the nail gun on the side of the header and shot a 16p nail through the top of foot and into a into a header he had just finished. Personally, I would have never guessed the nail would travel roughly 3' through the air, penetrate the leather boot, then his foot, and then the boot shank, and still have enough momentum to penetrate into the header. Turns out it does though....

They don't call it "toenailing" for nothin!
I REALLY want to laugh at that, but the whole memory still makes me cringe and it was over 25 years ago. Looking back, I'm just glad that it was him and not me. It was a toss of the coin on who was going to do what, and I could have just as easily made the same mistake.

Back