Scrench mod and carry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the paracord and it distracts me. I’m going to try this screw eye solution.

I’m not Superman so I wear saw chaps. And I’m not Batman so I don’t wear a utility belt. Too much going with the pants belt and chaps belt for a utility belt.

I don’t want stuff swinging from my waist and getting caught in the brush.

But this could hang from the chaps belt and hook and unhook with ease. Also the screw eye shouldn’t get in the way during use. I like it. I’m going to build one and then change the spark plug and take off the bar and chain and put it back on. If all that works I will attach it to my chaps belt. Give it a try.

Thanks!

I take a sacrificial scrench, and just fling it out into the woods as soon as I get there. Get losing the scrench out of the way right at the beginning.
This is absolutely, hands down, the best solution. Turns out I have been doing it all along and didn’t even realize it 🤠

I have suffered from this dilemma also. Great photos.
I finally found a pocket in a pair of chaps where this fits, but it is an overly tight fit in that pocket. It is not ideal.
I'd be afraid of falling on the tool if I had it on my side. I have fallen in the woods before... amazing I know.
I would not want the extra weight of it on my saw during use.

Your cord version inspired me to try one since it's fast and free.

An e-star hitch around the scrench (opens up and slides right off when needed), a single strand lanyard knot (celtic button knot), and a perfection loop. Open and closes easily to attach to a bag or pants.

I'll probably shorten it up a little bit and try it out. If I make it past spring without losing it I'll call it a success.

Scrench lanyard open.jpgScrench lanyard closed.jpg

Your cord version inspired me to try one since it's fast and free.

An e-star hitch around the scrench (opens up and slides right off when needed), a single strand lanyard knot (celtic button knot), and a perfection loop. Open and closes easily to attach to a bag or pants.

I'll probably shorten it up a little bit and try it out. If I make it past spring without losing it I'll call it a success.

View attachment 1052353View attachment 1052352
That will be simpler without buying extra things, the carabiner gets in the way when spinning nuts. Please keep me posted. I think I will try to learn those knots and do something similar. Thank you so much for sharing!!

The stihl Swiss army knife is nice since it fits in your pocket without stabbing yourself and has the hex socket for the bar nuts, big flat blade for chain tension, small flat for carb adjustment and torx for all those fasteners.

That will be simpler without buying extra things, the carabiner gets in the way when spinning nuts. Please keep me posted. I think I will try to learn those knots and do something similar. Thank you so much for sharing!!

I shortened it up to use on a belt loop. There's still enough slack to open up the e-star hitch and take it off easily when needed (left photo). It slides right back on and tightens up without issue (right photo). This is a 30" piece of paracord for this short scrench. A longer scrench might need a little more wiggle room to get it on/off the scrench. But I tried it on a bar nut and the paracord doesn't really seem to get in the way if you hold it against the screwdriver shaft. So I don't think I'll take it off very often. Time will tell.

I left the long tail on the button knot to pull it through the perfection loop. Works nicely without gloves, probably wouldn't be easy with gloves on. Overall this should work well.

If you want, DM me a mailing address and I'll send you one to try as well.

Scrench lanyard small side by side.png

I have not had much contact with the manufacturer since those original posts. If the website is down, and a Google search does not pull them up, then I don’t have any suggestions. Sorry.

Philbert
The ratchet scrench is to v3 now and will be available soon. I just got an email about it.

It'll be interesting to see what improvements they've made. It looked like that product had "died".

Please post some details when you get them!
These are the details Nick emailed me about changes to the ratchet scrench

“RatchetScrench changed manufacturers from V1 to V2, which improved quality and ramped up quantity. Version 2.1 was the latest tool available, and it resolved a couple issues related to the rivet and the flathead-screwdriver tip.

Most exciting, however, is that V3 will be 100%-forged (think, “stamped”, like what a blacksmith does, instead of “poured”… (V1/V2 were “poured”, or cast-molded). Bottom line: V3 will be stronger, more resilient. The design is slightly changed to a “chunkier” tool which will be stronger and give a better feel in your hand.

We’ll be in touch, soon, with availability dates!

Nick”

smallRATCHETlogo.jpeg

Youtuber"wranglerstar" did a review on a product sold by another youtuber "topsaw" calledthe topsaw scrench. You can buy it on treestuff or Amazon. I haven't tried it, I just keep a small bag full of tools nearby, but it looks handy.

I have an Oregon branded version of one of those chainsaw multi-tools. A bit clunky. I keep it with my gear as an ‘extra’ / ‘just-in-case’ tool, but not as handy as a basic scrench.

It you like Leatherman type multi-tools, then you probably would like one of these. Sometimes they can be handy. Given the choice, I would always prefer to use the full sized tool.

Philbert

Back