Scroungers felling trees on other people's land

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK a lot of us get to cut on other people's land. Do you fell a tree in someone's yard if they ask you to? A buddy said his in laws need a tree dropped, presumably I'd be keeping the wood. Any insurance concerns? My head is spinning thinking about it. If I do it for free (of course I'm getting the wood), am I lowballing tree services? If I charge for my service as a tree company would, am I over charging because I'm not insured? How does this work? Where do you draw the line? Or do you just tell them to pay a tree service to drop it and then you'll come take care of the rest?

Thanks for good advice
Eric

I have cut up trees that friends "in the city" have had taken down by a tree service company. Way too close to structures for me to even consider it, but they did get a lower cost from the tree service for just getting it on the ground, they got their yard cleaned up, and I got the free wood. Some people have no way to deal with wood or dispose of it on their property - fortunately I do. :D

If it was a tree in the middle of an open field I would probably cut it down, but any risk then I'm out.

Yea I have no idea of the placement of this tree or how big it is what it's close to etc. I just figured this could be a good topic to discuss in general...

For sure you need to do a drive-by before agreeing to cut anything. Heck, it could be a dead Box Elder 100' down a steep ravine 1/2 mile back on their property with no access for that big blue diesel. It's worth looking though because it could be an Oak next to the driveway! You might even get a cup of coffee and piece of pie for at least going to look. :drinkingcoffee:

Heck yea! Lol the big blue 12v is long gone but it's been my user name for so long on so many forums I just kept using it. I have a white 04 3500 ctd quad cab single wheel with 9' flatbed. Gotta haul my little ones, and it is a hoss hauling wood!

I'll happily fell trees on others land. (About 20% of my cutting over the past two years has been on the grounds if a children's camp). Of course this is all volunteer work as I'd never think of charging them. The only thing I don't do is fell trees that could cause damage to buildings if something went wrong. Not because I don't think I can drop the tree, but if something went wrong I could get sued and the director could lose his job. It's not worth the 1% chance of disaster.

I'd suggest a similar standard for others. If it can really mess something up, leave it to the pros. Otherwise dropping a yard tree for the wood or a nominal cash payment seems fine in my book.

You've also got to look at what a pro charges and why. Just dropping a few yard trees (owner cleans up) may run someone $350 and the same trees with cleanup might be $2500.

One thing to add. Many folks are so flaky these days that you really need to be careful. If you drop a tree that damages someone's lawn you could end up paying to re-sod. Take care in discussing potential implications ahead of time and unfortunately the need to judge their character beforehand.

Svk, yea I know a good chunk of price goes to insurance workers comp etc all for protection. I used to have a landscaping business we didn't do tree work other than trimming low branches. I understand most all of this, just seeing what others think and how they would handle it. I'm curious to see what these people have for me. Hopefully it's a safe easy one.

bb12v, take my advice for what you paid for it.

If you are not going to be compensated then regardless of whether the tree owner is friend or stranger - you must remember that you likely have no insurance so you need to have a low risk tree and you must set the terms/rules/expectations before agreeing to fall the tree. Generally, this means:
1) no obstacles, bystanders, observers, tree owner, other persons, critters, or other living things that the owner wants to remain unharmed.
2) you clearly state what you will and won't do, and you secure the tree owner's agreement.
3) you obtain the tree owner's agreement that you are in charge, you set the rules and tree owner agrees to abide by them, including what, when and where the tree owner stands, works, etc.
4) you advise tree owner of what consequences to expect such as ruts and other damage to the yard, aspects of the resulting stump, sawdust piles, etc.

If you are falling the tree for compensation then you have a new can of worms to address. You should check with someone locally regarding licenses, taxes, and insurance.

Either way, preferably a written release and hold harmless agreement favoring you from the tree owner(s) and any other interested party should be secured.

Ron

Very well put Ron! I'm not looking to get into tree service, wasn't really thinking of charging for it, much harder to cover your butt when you're essentially being a fly by nighter uninsured at that point. That's not me lol. When I was 15 and started my lawn and landscape business I was the youngest person to open a policy at my insurance company. Registered my business, did everything by the books. Makes it hard to compete in that field lots of unemployed and beer money part timers here with a mower and trailer... But it was the only way I would consider running my business.

A local tree company brings all the good wood to his wood lot and him and his daughter split it and sell. She is out there almost every single evening splitting. They sell a lot of it. Lucky dog getting it coming and going. She's widowed, good looking and a helluva hard worker.

Most folks have to do everything they can to make it. It seems around here that the bigger companies dispose of everything. I assume their labor costs exceed the residual value. The small companies salvage and stockpile logs. Very few sell firewood or mulch.

Ron

Yea the bigger crews come from out of town to do contract work and everything gets disposed. They'll gladly dump a load of chips for mulch if you ask when they're in the area. My mom has gotten a lot this way to use for mulch.

Heck yea! Lol the big blue 12v is long gone but it's been my user name for so long on so many forums I just kept using it. I have a white 04 3500 ctd quad cab single wheel with 9' flatbed. Gotta haul my little ones, and it is a hoss hauling wood!
Ah, bigwhiteCRD! ;) That'll work.

If I thought I needed a signed release I may not do the job. It could help in a small claims about lawn damage or such, but if something goes sideways with real lawyers involved I doubt it's worth much more than the paper it's written on. Lots to be judged by meeting them and reviewing the work. There's a lot of difference in expectations between maintaining a golf fairway lawn and a country lawn (meaning you can drive on it anywhere.) Also different if everything has to be "just so".

There is a significant difference between a disclaimer of liability and a release; likewise a hold harmless agreement. svk is right these documents should be drawn by a reputable local attorney as laws vary.
Ron
Yes, I'm sure that is true. And it may even stand up in court. However, it does not mean you can't be sued even if you prevail in the end. The time off work, legal fees, stress, etc. isn't worth it to me for a little bit of firewood. Unfortunately that all applies if you don't have a disclaimer or release also. We all have to judge our own threshold for risk in the end I guess.

I'll happily fell trees on others land. (About 20% of my cutting over the past two years has been on the grounds if a children's camp). Of course this is all volunteer work as I'd never think of charging them. The only thing I don't do is fell trees that could cause damage to buildings if something went wrong. Not because I don't think I can drop the tree, but if something went wrong I could get sued and the director could lose his job. It's not worth the 1% chance of disaster.

I'd suggest a similar standard for others. If it can really mess something up, leave it to the pros. Otherwise dropping a yard tree for the wood or a nominal cash payment seems fine in my book.

You've also got to look at what a pro charges and why. Just dropping a few yard trees (owner cleans up) may run someone $350 and the same trees with cleanup might be $2500.

I don't even fell trees in my own yard if there is any possibility of doing damage to my house, out buildings or power lines. Hired a tree service to drop the trees and the $350 amount per tree is about what I paid to just get them on the ground. They had to climb the trees and piece them out.

Some homeowner policies cover you if you are gathering firewood for your own use. I have taken trees down for a fee, and my insurance actually allow for it up to so many trees per year.

Latest posts

Back