Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cowboy, a wedge or two and an X-27 will free a lot of stuck saws, and is lighter than a second saw! I'm sometimes surprised how well it works. (but I always have a second saw just in case).

I've actually lost track of how many saws I currently own, a good defense mechanism for when dealing with the wife. I guess I currently have 11 runners in my possession, and two more being built for me, and that is after I sold a couple. Going to have to sell a few more!

Snowing like crazy here today, my morning appt cancelled, which is OK, I got a mail in yesterday to replace it. I have afternoon appts, so I'll use the escape instead of the Mustang, one of them in on a Mtn Goat road. Snow on snow on snow, I guess winter is finally here, even if just for a brief while ... and more predicted for Thurs. It had to wait till tax season didn't it!!! Thank goodness for the ATV w/plow!

Cowboy, a wedge or two and an X-27 will free a lot of stuck saws, and is lighter than a second saw! I'm sometimes surprised how well it works. (but I always have a second saw just in case).

I've actually lost track of how many saws I currently own, a good defense mechanism for when dealing with the wife. I guess I currently have 11 runners in my possession, and two more being built for me, and that is after I sold a couple. Going to have to sell a few more!

Snowing like crazy here today, my morning appt cancelled, which is OK, I got a mail in yesterday to replace it. I have afternoon appts, so I'll use the escape instead of the Mustang, one of them in on a Mtn Goat road. Snow on snow on snow, I guess winter is finally here, even if just for a brief while ... and more predicted for Thurs. It had to wait till tax season didn't it!!! Thank goodness for the ATV w/plow!

I absolutely agree with Mike on the bucking wedges @Cowboy254.

Cut down a few inches and pop the wedge in. No bar pinching.

I always have one in my back pocket when cutting in the woods.

This scrounged its way to me yesterday.

It's processed oak and elm swamp mats along with some other hardwood in there.

Good stuff. Some of those pieces are heavvvvvvvvy.

I wish I could get down to 10 or 11 saws. I said I would never do it, but I'm thinking about selling my 2 Homelite Super 1050's. One is running with a 36" bar, and the other has a cooked piston, with a 24" bar. But, I have a good P/C and an NOS SDC carb for it. I probably have $200 dollars worth of new chains for them, both .404. Since I bought the 660 I haven't used the 1050's. That decomp valve makes a world of difference. My Dad bought them new in the early 70's, so it's been sentimental value keeping them, but if I'm not going to play with them, it might be time to pass them a long, Joe.

When people ask me why I need 2 saws for, I say "The first saw is to get into trouble, the second saw is to get me out of it". And then they ask what the third saw is for. "Well that's for getting the other two out of trouble".

Cowboy, a wedge or two and an X-27 will free a lot of stuck saws, and is lighter than a second saw!
With most STIHL saws (outboard sprocket), an extra bar and chain can also take the place of an extra saw, provided that the powerhead is still functional. On an inboard sprocket saw, you might have to break the chain to do that, and might want to carry a Granberg Break-N-Mend (or file, cordless Dremel, etc.) for that purpose.

Philbert

With most STIHL saws (outboard sprocket), and extra bar and chain can also take the place of an extra saw, provided that the powerhead is still functional. On an inboard sprocket saw, you might have to break the chain to do that, and might want to carry a Granberg Break-N-Mend (or file, cordless Dremel, etc.) for that purpose.

Philbert
You be confusing us lay folk with outboard sprocket vs outboard clutch. I had to read that one a couple times. ;).

I adjusted the oiler on my 350 and now she drools all over, just the way I like it.

Limbed the aspen from yesterday so the deer and bunnies could enjoy the few remaining buds and cut a couple dozen more cookies with the 350, 352, and 361. I guess you could say it was a three series day even though they are all different brands.

I adjusted the oiler on my 350 and now she drools all over, just the way I like it.

Limbed the aspen from yesterday so the deer and bunnies could enjoy the few remaining buds and cut a couple dozen more cookies with the 350, 352, and 361. I guess you could say it was a three series day even though they are all different brands.
I like em drooling and snot slinging too. Lol. One thing I don't like about Stihl, they're stingy with the lube.

Okay saws cost double what you guys pay, so we can only afford to keep half as many saws as what you guys have.
What's a reasonable number of saws to own then?
Our winters are nothing like what you guys have but our houses have atrocious insulation so we burn more wood than you would expect.

Okay saws cost double what you guys pay, so we can only afford to keep half as many saws as what you guys have.
What's a reasonable number of saws to own then?
Our winters are nothing like what you guys have but our houses have atrocious insulation so we burn more wood than you would expect.
Reasonable? ;)

Also how much to ship a saw from US to you? You'd think you could fit a couple saws in a box for you and buddies to split the cost.

Latest posts

Back