Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willow now that is very ordinary firewood. From your humble beginnings you've become an international scrounge superstar :rock2:.
I have 2 years of wood stacked in the back yard and wood shed and my neighbors think I'm a bit weird.
I keep it to 2 years, that's enough to keep the termites out.
With your wood pile I think you could make some fantastic 'wood stack art' once its split :chop:(google it).
Me thinks 'Cowboy' theme would be perfect.:laughing:

Willow now that is very ordinary firewood. From your humble beginnings you've become an international scrounge superstar :rock2:.
I have 2 years of wood stacked in the back yard and wood shed and my neighbors think I'm a bit weird.
With your wood pile I think you could make some fantastic 'wood stack art' once its split :chop:(google it).

Ugly looking pieces. But shorter.

Philbert

Ranier Hydraulics claimed that wood processed through the Chomper dried faster , I don't know if it's true but it fractures the end .
One nice thing is that I have no sawdust to deal with .

Two year's worth - how much is that in Sydney (and in ironbark which is worth a bit more than my peppermint)? At our place, you're looking at 25-30 cubes for two years worth and we've been burning gently the last few days even though the weather has been fine.

I have a client who is a pest controller who tells me not to get more than four years ahead - the foraging underground termites will find it in that time. In my case I have this year's and next in the woodshed which is on a concrete slab then the pile which is another good two year's or more worth, including some to take down to my brother in Melbourne. So I suppose I could add another year's worth to Mt Cowboy....the spirit is willing, but the flesh can't be stuffed.

Ranier Hydraulics claimed that wood processed through the Chomper dried faster , I don't know if it's true but it fractures the end .
One nice thing is that I have no sawdust to deal with .

I imagine it would dry faster with those sheared ends. How does it go in oak?

Two year's worth - how much is that in Sydney (and in ironbark which is worth a bit more than my peppermint)? At our place, you're looking at 25-30 cubes for two years worth and we've been burning gently the last few days even though the weather has been fine.

I have a client who is a pest controller who tells me not to get more than four years ahead - the foraging underground termites will find it in that time. In my case I have this year's and next in the woodshed which is on a concrete slab then the pile which is another good two year's or more worth, including some to take down to my brother in Melbourne. So I suppose I could add another year's worth to Mt Cowboy....the spirit is willing, but the flesh can't be stuffed.

I burn about 4 of my trailer loads a year, that's about 8.5 cubes per year. So about half what you burn. We would burn less except our house gets no sun in winter and has crap insulation. Haven't put the fire on yet this year, got it loaded up though ready for a match.

Cowboy, Apple is prized as firewood, but tough to get cause not much of it is straight, but good BTUs & smell. Ditto Black Cherry.

Happy Easter everyone, my day to do my own Tax Return w/o phone interruption!

Call me an old fart, but my vision of a Cowboy is just not compatible with face piercing, etc.

I'm way behind on photos for you all but grabbed this today. Its my haul of Robinia PseudoAcacia aka Black Locust aka 'Primo Firewood' :dancing: There's a little over 1/3 but not quite 1/2 a cord I reckon. As you can see, it does rot in our wet UK weather but there is plenty of good wood there. That is the pile that it seems, in suburban london, makes me look like a firewood dealer! :lol:

33256344923_9fd069c947_h.jpg

as for heating the house with pallets and other oddities, I can't pass up a nearby skip if it has a pallet in it. I have a blunt blade for my circular saw that I put back on so hitting a nail isn't upsetting, and slice the boards off pallets with that. These board pieces get split into kindling. The larger pieces get chainsawed to length and go in the stove, nails and remaining bits of boards and all. it all burns. I do check for the treatment symbol first though to ensure no chemical nasties go in the stove.

I do too, normally, but I'm behind on my splitting and stacking so the rear garden is littered with lots of little piles of wood as it is. I'm getting 'Those looks' from my dearest and in order to keep some room for my 19 month old daughter to play, the front of house is temporary storage. It ought to be safe though, wood burning is on the up, but its mainly a middle class stove owner nice to have thing, not a cheap heating necessity thing, and most of these people are too lazy to steal it and split it.

Back