Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ehhh, just stopping by to "browse". Actually recognized a guy from A.S. Over on a gun forum, made me think of ya'll.

Uncle Mike was kind enough to get my 262xp sorted out for me, thing is a beast. 60cc's that's been messaged enough to run with my 77cc Husky.

These days I work too much then daydream about 6.5 that can go 2,800fps....

I got bit by G.A.D. Replaced the CAD, always had enough guns but now I have, well you know.....
I've had lots of guns and still have several. I always lose money on guns but only sometimes lose money on saws. Plus a day in the woods with a saw nets you money versus a day with ammo at these prices lol.

But yes I totally understand lol.

Another load of Black Locust with a few Black Cherry pieces, and my 4-12' Locust posts.
Nice scrounge Mike. Is it a scrounge? I know some guys here cut from their own woodlots or others. I've never burned Black Locust but have burned Black Cherry.
I like your wood fabricated trailer sides and saw and oil box there. Very interesting and would be economical to repair or replace when needed.

Cowboy, where we fish off the coast of North Carolina, the state record for a King Mackerel is 82 pounds and a Spanish is 13 pounds. The King is kind of oily and are very good smoked. The Spanish is a more white flakey meat that is good fried. We use light, 30 pound test for the King and they give a good run for the money. The biggest I've caught was 42 pounds and it was a big one. The picture I posted is with my fishing buddy, he's from Vietnam, and is about 5'5' tall. Makes the fish look bigger, Joe.

Sounds like the King is similar to what we call the Spanish and your Spanish is different to ours. I caught a 1.2 metre (Aus) Spanish a few years back that I suspect was rather heavier than 13 pounds. We had some that night and gave the rest to the staff at the resort we were staying at. I'll try to find a picture.

Did some scrounging at the hardware store yesterday. I swung through the fleet supply store and wanted to grab a 20" bar for my 550. They were out of RSN bars but had Pro Lite (non replaceable sprocket nose) bars and since I won't use this one that much that's fine.

I noticed the first bar on the rack had been opened and had some greasy sawdust on it like someone had fit it to a saw. Rails were untouched so it had not been run. Asked the parts manager if he'd give a discount and he gave me ten percent off so it was definitely worth asking.

Tried to buy Stihl PS chain for my non Stihl small saws but they only had one loop of PS3 left in the wrong DL count. I'll just grab it from the full service dealer near work.

Nice scrounge Mike. Is it a scrounge? I know some guys here cut from their own woodlots or others. I've never burned Black Locust but have burned Black Cherry.
I like your wood fabricated trailer sides and saw and oil box there. Very interesting and would be economical to repair or replace when needed.

Thanks, I tried to be creative with the boxes, and can fit 5 saws in that box (max 28" bar length). Also thought the safest place for the Oil & Fuel was over the wheel where it is kind of protected. Plan to put another holder over the opposite wheel for my 066 w/36" bar.

In the box, 2 saws down, a plywood separator, 2 more saws up, then one (must have 20" bar) at 45 degrees.

A local landscaper purchase a house and took down several trees and offered me the wood, so yes, this is a legitimate scrounge, just go there & cut it to length. As a bonus, he is going to deliver the 4-12' Locust Logs to me!

The top saws get bungied to an eye hook & holes I drilled into the wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20170501_172434546.jpg
    IMG_20170501_172434546.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 36
You'll have to wait for @Just a Guy that cuts wood my phone was dead by 9am. It was a long day. Up at 10pm Sunday for work didn't go back to bed till 730 Monday night back up at 10 for work.
I should have cleaned the lens lol20170508_114110.jpg

20170508_125937.jpg

I took the time to show him how and why I always plunge cut leaners
We had two side by side so it was the perfect time
The smile on his face was priceless
20170508_135217.jpg
For fun I put a 4000 Poulan in his hands
Gotta love a reed valve torque monster
sent him off with a full load

20170508_140947.jpg

Was a good day

I finally scrounged up all of the parts to fix my 4 wheeler this weekend. Carb kit, new fuel line, new petcock, new battery, oil change, and repaired the slow leak in the tire.

I have about 4 cords of aspen to retrieve and around a half cord of hardwood in rounds and about 2 more cords of hardwood to cut before I can wrap up the spring season.

I should have cleaned the lens lolView attachment 578674

View attachment 578675

I took the time to show him how and why I always plunge cut leaners
We had two side by side so it was the perfect time
The smile on his face was priceless
View attachment 578678
For fun I put a 4000 Poulan in his hands
Gotta love a reed valve torque monster
sent him off with a full load

View attachment 578679

Was a good day
I'm there to learn. The wood is just a bonus. If your willing to keep teaching I'm willing to keep learning. Dropping that tree was nerve racking and exciting as its by far the biggest tree I ever put over.

Thought I would post a pic of todays scrounge.0510171221.jpg
Should be close to 10. cord in that cemetery dogwood. Dead and ready to burn. Brother pushed it over with his tractor and sawed it up with the saw he stole from me a couple weeks ago. I guess if he is going to cut wood for me, least I can do is furnish the saw.

China scrounge?
Almost have the fitting done for my Chinese 372xp handle to work on my cs-590

c8f893a6bb1abf513747b2ace1cafc1f.jpg

7147885441b231ba1ec79c3a598abd36.jpg

f22ffb3079bdb383597d46c5b4905a0a.jpg

Not the prettiest but it saves around $75 for even just a cs-600p half wrap not counting the full wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm there to learn. The wood is just a bonus. If your willing to keep teaching I'm willing to keep learning. Dropping that tree was nerve racking and exciting as its by far the biggest tree I ever put over.
Me too!

I have learned a lot about saws and chains, but have a whole lot more to learn about saws, trees, and cutting.

Plus, I have no more space to keep any wood!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back