Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to check out a possible scrounge site tomorrow. 10 acres of old apple orchard the owner wants cut. Just cut and haul the wood. Leave the brush, cut 3 cord for me leave 1 for him. Looking forward to running a saw!

I reckon three for one is a pretty good arrangement, especially if you don't have to bother with all the small stuff.

Morning fellas.

Have to unload a cord of wood then get working on my 4 wheeler and get the carb out back together and hope everything runs. It's a pretty straightforward project but when things have been apart for a few weeks it's always more of a project to put things back together. My memory doesn't work so good at 37 so I can only imagine myself if I make it to retirement.

Once that's all done I can go cut wood.

Plus they must have had two little Japanese dudes to hold everything in place plus one guy doing the actual assembly because it cannot be done with two hands alone.

Put the damn thing back together and it still leaked fuel. Flipping metering valve wasn't right and I never checked that as I marked it down to grit in the carb.

Having lunch and a beer before I go attack it again.

Went and checked out the orchard scrounge today there's lots of wood there but it's too wet for me to get my truck back there yet. Owner said I could walk in and cut and pick up later, but I know better than to do that. He's in no hurry, says he doesn't care if it takes two years to clear so I can pick away at it. So I came home and put the saws away and pulled the splitter out from its winter home and split off my pile (Which is what I need to be doing anyway). I can get carried away with sawing and scrounging and tend not to do the splitting until I need to. Sawing is more fun IMG_1252.JPG

Well I didn't make it to the bush to trim trees around the edge. Wife convinced me that I needed to go to an auction sale instead. Took a lot of convincing for me. Okay maybe I snuck out before she got up. She texted me a while later to see where I was. I made the mistake of telling her where I was, but when she showed up she brought me a hamburger. Got a few trees and some flowers. I'm reselling most of the trees as they were a decent deal. I figured that seeing that the ash are all dying out my grand children are going to need some oak to cut so I bought 10 bigger ones and 20 whips. I should have bought 20 for Duncan too. (2" whips were $1 a piece). I predict a sore back and blisters on my hands by tomorrow night. And a couple pics of me cleaning the thorn trees out of the fenceline. Using my newest 4 prong bale fork, it's about 6' wide.
IMG_20170513_175901.jpg IMG_20170513_161034.jpg IMG_20170512_154304.jpg IMG_20170512_154318.jpg

I was not disappointed that it rained hard all day today, and that tomorrow is Mother's Day ... my body needed a rest!

Last week I cut trees down (and to length) at 2 locations, cut fallen trees to length at two other locations, and split wood at 2 locations (one by hand).

Plus, went on my first bike ride of the year. I was spent. Takes a while after Tax Season to fully get back in the grove, but I'm working on it.

Well the idle is still funky on the wheeler but had a good afternoon and evening in the woods.

Tuned, tested, and troubleshot several saws. The little 142 Husky really runs strong now and the 352 Echo is also much improved. I'm ready to throw my XL top handles in the trash but we'll give them one more chance.

Took a ride with the kids and found several blown over/broken off maples to go after next weekend.

G'day troops,

I needed a new trickle charger and was walking through the hardware joint when something caught my eye. I'm not normally one to make impulse purchases, but...

14th May 1.jpg

Given how blokes on this site bang on about the fiskars, I thought I'd better grab one to see if it is as good as you all say. I didn't know the handle was hollow, well there you go. It can't do what the 8lb Hart maul can do with the big and gnarly stuff but you can get great head speed in the swing and I was pleasantly surprised with its performance. I have an unpleasant left elbow medial epicondylitis (technically a tendonosis) and the big maul is hurting me on the upswing. The fiskars is very light and not tiring to use. Didn't hurt the elbow. I look forward to using it in some different species and seeing how it goes. Green candlebark (above) up to 9 inches was one good swing material. We'll see how it goes in blue gum, might be a challenge. Peppermint should be easy.

Can I join the cool kids table now?

Back