Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do that too on the easier splitting stuff. If I ever get time I will add a pre splitting piece onto my 4 way so that it will split either way. I stepped the wings back but the split doesn't open quick enough and it's just too much surface area to split all at once. It will still split it but it has to work harder and it slows the process down a few seconds which just adds to cycle time.

Dropped a few dead pines this past week and used little tractor to drag them out today.
8031bf07ddcae64427d0de1ff9fb72d8.jpg
7065d8b5907824a510ab516a61ea635a.jpg
ed202e1fee59b8cac1ce8c048651e531.jpg
3c9c6a648f43a8cf6e2275693676d242.jpg
7135e549458b2e5e7e13d79fca4714e1.jpg

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
good job Chris. i used to drag small dead oak trees out with one of these.luckily it was all down hill. think Forest Gump.
attachment.php

Old Oak pasture fence. When they are done with the new fence they are going to stick a match to it. I got a pick up load. I usually plane it down and make display boards for trains. I have been thinking of planing a bunch for flooring in my cabin. The fence guy said if the entrance to the pasture hadn't been on a blind curve with a 50 MPH speed limit he would have put a free sign on it and it would be gone by the end of the day. He also said if I was interested he would call me when ever they got jobs replacing old Oak fencing. Oh, he said all the other people use it for firewood, Joe.

Just bought an electric 'Leaf Eater' today (cross between a string trimmer and a chipper) at a garage sale for $10.

Looked at them for years, to reduce the volume of leaves and make them easier to bag (I don't have a bagging lawn mower).
Will let you know in November how it works.

Philbert

We have a gypsy moth Caterpillar problem here in Mass that is almost Biblical. Poop all over the cars trees getting decimated and the side of the road looks like the town went down with a brush hog. Made a tail gate and rear window guard today to finish up. Got a good load of pine, pile is growing. Wish it was hardwood but the OWB won't care003.JPG 005.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG

We had an infestation up at me property (Catskills) several year ago that was scary! The wife & I left early (right after we arrived) cause you could not walk through the woods. You could hear them eating, and the decent on the web lines was endless.

When we got the car home, after 2.5 hours on Hwy, it still looked like something out of a Halloween Movie, completely covered in webs!

They seem to have a real fondness for Hard Maple, and the tops of most of my Hard Maples up there are dead.

We had an infestation up at me property (Catskills) several year ago that was scary! The wife & I left early (right after we arrived) cause you could not walk through the woods. You could hear them eating, and the decent on the web lines was endless.

When we got the car home, after 2.5 hours on Hwy, it still looked like something out of a Halloween Movie, completely covered in webs!

They seem to have a real fondness for Hard Maple, and the tops of most of my Hard Maples up there are dead.

I had them dropping on me as I built the stake side, kind of a horror movie. The webs as you say are crazy, can't even avoid them. My only saving Grace is that I am too deaf to hear them crunching up trees. I hope trees can survive this after last years hit. The firewood may be good next year but all the dead trees would be bad.

I actually turned down a scrounge this weekend. I have a lot on my plate this week plus we decided to Thompson water seal the deck (which is 30'long). Worked like a dog around the house but I did get a new hose for my splitter and had to try it out for an hour and a half. Really need to process the wood I have before I go hauling more home. Too hot for wood this weekend anyways. Freaking 84 degrees in the house at 9 pm! Stay cool peeps!

Back