Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Mike about 1/6th the price for simular performance to an original?. So the break even point is lasting 1/6th as long as an original.

Actually, performance with the Cross cylinder is better than an original, but not as good as a fully ported saw.

The big questions is durability, and you have to assemble it and "fix" some of the little things that are wrong (like the float in the carb being out of adjustment, etc.). Also, does not come with B&C.

The pics above were taken a week or so ago. These 6 pics here were taken around April. Sorry for flooding with lots of pics guys lol 18th.
65aa782c5f5783c67bc5a8e351167a7d.jpg
c19b3846f3ef409448f9987d477b63c7.jpg
284438dd62db3c7df315cbbbb57e7806.jpg
fcf07b718f3e1eaf858756bcdaa443fe.jpg
e4345dd3080894f3254f523b0356ae4e.jpg
bf06f5391dc290952ca68ff7293206a1.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Went out today with the 562, 2150, 254 and 350 and had a great time, got 6 hours of 95+* cutting in, it was warm!!! Got the fuel in the 254 and 350 pretty hot so gave them a break, 12 tanks total and some good firewood for an upcoming Youth Academy event later this month, here is a little bucking video with a 350 I ported a few weeks ago towards the end of the day... Enjoy!

The pics above were taken a week or so ago. These 6 pics here were taken around April. Sorry for flooding with lots of pics guys lol

Flooding the forum with pics ... Hmm, I've never done that :oops:. Looks like you've done some good work there, what sort of trees were you cutting?

Roughly whereabouts in NE are you? My brother in law married a New Hampshire girl and I've spent a fair bit of time over there myself.

We're battening down the hatches for a major winter event this weekend. Looks like more than a metre of snow on the hills. Should be good for skiing once it clears up, and maybe a bit of storm induced firewood scrounge. I went up for an XC ski on Wednesday morning. Perfect conditions, sunny and snow firm enough to go off track into the high plains. It was about -4*C when I went out. I'm a bit of a fair weather skier these days, I've become spoilt by being able to ski any time I feel like it, more or less. Skiied about 20km and I was buggered. Bit pathetic really.

The dead trees are snowgums, killed off by the 2003 bushfires that went through more than a million hectares. But they're growing back as they always do, suckering up from the roots. They're ok firewood, medium density and not very ashy but they're relatively small, you'd be lucky to find one more than 14 inches. The nearby ski resort periodically clears some for various reasons and I've had the opportunity to pick up some from there in the past. Before the 2003 fires, there were still dead snowgums in many parts from the 1939 fires. They made great campfire wood until 2003 cleaned them up. Now of course, we have plenty more.

2nd Aug 1.jpg

That's the main range in the far distance (NNE) with snow on it. @Jeffkrib was up there somewhere.

2nd Aug 3.jpg

This is from about the same spot, looking NNW. In the distance sloping down is Mt Bogong which is the highest peak in our state, which we can see from our house (when it's not thumping down rain and snow).

2nd Aug 4.jpg

Whenever I've been to the USA, locals have always been surprised to hear we get snow in Aus. We do get it but it only hangs around in the mountains and you have to drive narrow, windy roads to get to it. Once you're there though, the views make up for all the pain-in-the-arsery. :)

guys check out your local walmart. saw a few things they were clearing out to make room for new fall stuff. mine had the fiskars x27 on clearance for $25. all i bought was a $2 scrench.:surprised3:
If you would have let me know, I'd have sent you a few, those things are like pocket change around here lol.
In the fall I send many of them down the road though with CL saws.
picked up a bin of cantaloupes today and found this pallet under the bin. i might have to cut it up and see how it burns. i think it's SPRUCE!!!!!! :rolleyes:
View attachment 594530
Get after it with the 241, I've heard they like spruce :).

I use ends and pieces of spruce 2x4s for kindling all the time. Easy to split and easy to start.
I've used them for the same thing.
I also like to try to keep the bark on the dead black locust I'm cutting, that way it's pre cut and I just slip it off the log, or pick it up off the ground. I will haul in a wheelbarrow load of it in and just burn that in the shoulder season, it works great.

My wife laughed when I told her my recent scrounging success was possible because of what I learned in the first ten pages of this thread.

High fives dudes.
welcome to AS @Greenmachine. yes, lot's of good info here. your wife won't be laughing after you tell her about all the new stuff you need to scrounge wood. :rolleyes: you know. more saws,mauls,axes,log splitter, tractor with grapple,etc.etc. only 1,133 pages to go. :laugh:

Still alive and recuperating.
After two weeks in Yale NH , I came home with a new heart valve and a Pacemaker.
Gonna be on lite duty for at est a month. Still on the ten pound limit.
Staying with my daughter. No internet at her house.
I'l check in when I can.
CUL FREDM Oxford, CT
Hey buddy, if you are around these parts please let us know how things are going.

I've used them for the same thing.
I also like to try to keep the bark on the dead black locust I'm cutting, that way it's pre cut and I just slip it off the log, or pick it up off the ground. I will haul in a wheelbarrow load of it in and just burn that in the shoulder season, it works great.
bark makes a good fire starter. I can usually find a piece that has fell off the round that is soft enough I can crush it in my hand. The exposed fibers from the crushed bark are easy to ignite. I will takes thin strips, and just roll and twist them in my hand until they crumble, put on top of a piece of old news paper, throw on some spruce kindling and some small splits of firewood, throw in a match and have a roaring fire in just a few minutes. Left over cedar or cypress siding is the best kindling, almost as good as fat wood

Latest posts

Back