Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is Red Oak, but it is Oak!!! Generally, White Oak has rounded lobes (on the leaf) and Red Oak has pointed, but there are many varieties of both Red & White Oak (Like Chestnut Oak is part of the White Oak family).

Most (about 80%) of the Oak I get is in the Red Oak family (which includes Red Oak, Black Oak & Pin Oak, etc).

Red Oak is the most popular wood for flooring, White Oak was used a lot for ship building, and is still used for the locks on the Erie Canal.

Your polly right Mike , I was surprised to see any oak in this general area , it's usually a 1/2 hour drive in the opposite direction lol

img_2381-jpg.598466

That's a load :)
I love the use of the come along to be able to close the back gate lol

img_2381-jpg.598466

That's a load :)
I love the use of the come along to be able to close the back gate lol
Thanks, lol, yep good eye still couldn't get it latched with the come along .
Love that load too, looks like a real biatch to load up though.
By buddy did most of the loading, he's a big stout feller.:)

Let's hear it for spruce! Getting kind of late for photos, but this was a large load from my usual spruce/pine/fir source with a couple of hardwood rounds thrown in for good measure. Hopefully none of that leafy invasive species @dancan found! o_O
View attachment 598617
any wood is good wood that is not related to foreign oil! heck I even burn brush around the fire pit to keep warm on late fall night's! lol

Remind me, did you get a bear permit this year?
no.. didn't get time to apply this year? so maybe next. the wife and I will be heading up for fishing and berry gathering around the 4th of sept tho... echo trail to Ely. a quick stop at the crappie lake first!

Hey @Cowboy254 I need your help.
Since you have much experience with trees that want to kill you :eek:.
This is at a property a buddy bought to flip.
He asked me to look at it for him.
After talking with him a bit I could tell he had no knowledge of what was involved in removing this tree or what that would cost :oops:.
So I asked him how much he figured a "tree service would charge to remove it, he said $500, and I said :laugh:(he's a good friend). I then told him he should get some bids on it(this helps someone to be more educated, and also to appreciate what you do more), I also told him to rent a 60' lift it cost around 6-700 and for an 80' it's 9-1000 a day :baba:. Personally I would just trim it up nice and get it off the house, remove all the massive killer thorns from it up to where a potential buyer would see them and:crazy2:, that's just not what I would want them walking around the rest of the house thinking about :rare2:.

That tree certainly takes its self preservation seriously! Those are some impressive thorns.

Since he doesn't know what's involved it sounds like your mate assumed it would be easy to remove that tree. And actually, it would be easy. I'd drop it for 20 bucks as long as it doesn't matter where it lands :laugh:.

Well it's not oak, but as close as we get here, very nice tamarack (larch). Rare find hereView attachment 598462top was rotten but bottom 3/4 was very good View attachment 598463 my buddy Scott broke his winch line trying to pull it whole so we ended up cutting it in halfView attachment 598464 I told him there's no way we can get it in one load, he said "can't leave any here someone might take it"View attachment 598465 He got it all on there:surprised3:View attachment 598466 No room for the saws so they got to ride up front :)View attachment 598468 Sure liking the new 385, don't think it was even broke in yet, keeps getting stronger the longer I run it.

Nate, you do some of the best pics. I see lots of noodles, does larch not split easily?

That tree certainly takes its self preservation seriously! Those are some impressive thorns.

Since he doesn't know what's involved it sounds like your mate assumed it would be easy to remove that tree. And actually, it would be easy. I'd drop it for 20 bucks as long as it doesn't matter where it lands :laugh:.

Nate, you do some of the best pics. I see lots of noodles, does larch not split easily?
Thank you! Well normally it does split pretty easy, this one not as easy as most. Also I didn't bring my fiskars and the only axe we had wasn't very good for splitting, and... well I just like running my saws:rolleyes:.

Finally done for this year. What a strange way to do it. Normally I knock down the trees in fall after leaves go, for next winters wood, split in spring, take home & stack. Last fall (2016) the motor went in my truck. So I never got around to felling the trees, I put off & put off & then the snow arrived. Motor went at end of Oct, I decided to by a remanufactured engine, swap everything I needed, timing cover, oil pan, valve covers etc & drop new motor in. Replaced lots of other stuff, like steering rack. Took me to Dec to finish truck. Outside, cold, laying on pavement.

So trees got felled in spring, I cut & split as I went, hauling it home so I could stack under cover to help drying. Had a very wet period this spring which soaked the field to my spot, so that held me up for a month. Now back to normal, soon as leaves go this year I will get back out there & fell for 2018/2019. Little over 4 cord. Now I'm bored lol. Although next week after I work this week, I've got to help my wife's aunt (elderly) split 2 cord she had delivered. Wants it split smaller & she has a splitter. Love this thread guys.
28895608468efe84b0403d45ed7fa8ad.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Indeed. Every piece placed by me. Wife gives me trouble about not using my stepson, & of course I'm sure he'd not enjoy helping. Face in computer at all times. Just left Sat for 3rd year of college, major, computer engineer. Anyways, I tell wife that I enjoy doing the wood. And I do, for real. And I bet everyone here can say the same. I drive an hour away, go into woods myself, fell, buck, split, load & bring home & stack. Of all the jobs I've had, I had the most fun working with tree company's. I wish when I was younger, I should have been a climber, start own business. But alas .......

Indeed. Every piece placed by me. Wife gives me trouble about not using my stepson, & of course I'm sure he'd not enjoy helping. Face in computer at all times. Just left Sat for 3rd year of college, major, computer engineer. Anyways, I tell wife that I enjoy doing the wood. And I do, for real. And I bet everyone here can say the same. I drive an hour away, go into woods myself, fell, buck, split, load & bring home & stack. Of all the jobs I've had, I had the most fun working with tree company's. I wish when I was younger, I should have been a climber, start own business. But alas .......

enjoy your time! we all have regret's!! mine are too many hour's/day's in the wrong end of tree's!

Oh I hear you re. enjoying it. Jealous of the stacks though, mine are functional and don't fall over (touch wood!) but don't look neat, but then I'm dealing with arb waste from garden trees, so its not uniform in length nor is it straight. Hnece I envy and admire neat looking stacks!

I'm retired and cutting wood is the only "recreation" I indulge in. I am so far ahead (around 100 cord) that I'm c/s/s wood that I will never use. Went all out this spring as I got sacked last year by a new customer for a 6 cord order of my 'for sale wood' - managed to get 5 to him. So this sspring I went wild and got 6 cord c/s/s by june only to be told that he is probably going to go pellet stove. So 6 cord of 'for sale', 4 cord detieorated oak I was given in March plus all my work all summer winds up with some 20 odd cord 'for sale' that I don't have customers for.

Now the shocker. My 'for sale wood' is willow and I have regular customers for over 30 years, one takes 4 cord/yr, that love it at $120/cord.

I'm working two willow bush clear cuts for farmers just for the exercise and the fun of processing wood. All sales are just 'icing on the cake' and don't even beging to cover expenses. Stable has grown to:
Echo CS303T, MS/193T,310/361/441 and a very beat us 1989 F150

you process willow for fun?! the bits i've had (had to learn by experience) have grain so wavy it doubles back and forth on itself, a fair bt is in my ugiies pile, awaiting noodling, i simply can not split it. Got a big round as my chopping block currently and its proving to b very durable. I can't imagine processing it for fun

Latest posts

Back