Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my experiment of Sun Drying seems to be going well. After only one day, the highest reading I get (from the North end of a piece) is 20, and lower readings elsewhere on the pieces. Not a bad change for one day. I'm sure a lot of the change is just near the surface, but I'll bet that wood will be pretty dry after a week or so of good weather. Considering it was about 30 any where on those pieces this time yesterday, I'm pleased with the results.

Only did a half day today, cut some decent size rounds (including from the stump) with the MS440, split 1.5 cord of Ash, and delivered two loads (one cord).

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_152253771 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170928_152253771 (Large).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Got to the farm tonight and the guys building the new driveway had cut down the two trees that were in the way. Farmer dragged them out of the way and I'll deal with them later. So I dropped these two small trees showed the Poulan Pro some love and used it for felling and limbing. Despite having a couple pro saws, I still like this one.IMG_2053.JPG Bucking fell to the 460, it's so badass, I could rev it up and let go when I hit wood and it will coast through the small stuff.IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2055.JPG Got a decent little load. Spruce and maple laying there waiting. IMG_2056.JPG

When I bought my 395 I thought it would be the saw that gets the least use. Exactly opposite. Ive put more time on it than any other saw since I got it. I thought I would be using a 3-saw plan but lately its been a ONE saw massacre. That may change when I actually drop a whole tree. Then I'll use the t540xp for the small limbs but I'll be interested to see how fast instinct makes me pick up the 395.

A buddy from the town just sent me these pictures from there scrap yard. Help me identify before I commit to grabbing it.
Welcome to AS Therival.
Looks like the first is maple and walnut(as Mike said), the second picture is ash.
All great burning wood.
If you can figure out who is dumping it there you may be able to get them to drop right at your house and skip hauling it.
How much wood do you have split and ready to go for the season.

Good thing I haven't mastered new pics yet. First week of October is our annual fishing tournament in NC. Last year while we were fishing, my room mates tenant, he has two rentals, sent a pic of a big Red Oak snapped off about 50 feet up. The day we got home I helped him clean up the mess. Since then I've taken about 7 cords of standing dead Oak from that rental. Two days ago I decided to take down the 50' stub. No problem, open field to drop it in. Put tag line on just for insurance. Bucked up 30, 18" blocks before I got to the jagged stuff where it broke off. Had a couple rows loaded on the floor of my trailer when my buddy showed up and finished loading with his loader. Then he pointed out two little dead Oaks so we got them too. Had the trailer pretty squashed, a tad over a cord. So far great day. Had one small yard to mow yesterday afternoon so I started splitting the wood in the morning. I had to unload and split all of the small stuff by hand because my battery was dead on the dump. Everything still going great. Battery charged up, dumped wood, went and mowed lawn. Every thing still going great. Got home and started splitting the bigger wood. When it got too heavy to lift, I noodled a block in half for the first step, and stood a block on end for the second step, and was flipping the bigger rounds up on the tray. I had about 6 rounds left that I wasn't going to try to flip up. Was just going to noodle them. So I get the last round up, and let it roll over and smash my right finger of fate, flat as a pancake. I grabbed my hanky and wrapped it up, jumped up and down, and yelled SOB,SOB,SOB, three times, didn't help. The splitter was still running so I tried to finish that last round. By the time I got finished yelling SOB, my hanky was soaked and blood was running down my arm and leg, so I went and got a beer. Had to finish this morning. My finger looks like it was smacked with a 5 pound no bounce hammer. Whole nail is gone, but it doesn't hurt unless I bump it. We are leaving at 3 AM Saturday for the fishing tournament. At least it wasn't my trigger finger, Joe.
Feeling for you man, hope you get better soon.
I smashed my pinky toe on my accelerator foot yesterday, big nasty purple looking thing today :eek:.
Good thing is I didn't have to wear a brand new pair of steel toed boots, I had to do that at a brand new job hauling drywall after I broke my foot, that hurt like, well real bad :yes:. Reminds me this isn't to bad :).
Good luck at your tournament :numberone:.

Nice find Duncan. Here is a pic so guys know what we are talking about skidsteer mounted back hoe. New is $1200 for arm and $325 for a bucket.
View attachment 604324
Hi Cantoo.
The mill setup is looking great.
I'm thinking they call that implement a spruce hoe :laugh:.

When I bought my 395 I thought it would be the saw that gets the least use. Exactly opposite. Ive put more time on it than any other saw since I got it. I thought I would be using a 3-saw plan but lately its been a ONE saw massacre. That may change when I actually drop a whole tree. Then I'll use the t540xp for the small limbs but I'll be interested to see how fast instinct makes me pick up the 395.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

On zogger wood the big saw is not significantly faster than the small saw since neither slow down in the small stuff. Sure is heavier though. I use the small saw (the 460) on wood that is 12' and smaller, anything bigger than that and Limby gets the call, it's faster that way even though the 460 is perfectly respectable. I hadn't used the 661 for a couple of months but yesterday he started first pull. Might have another go at that manna gum tomorrow. :sweet:

After 4 or so tanks through my 038 I now understand how addictive ccs are, very addictive!

I do however still like my ickle saw for small stuff and haven't neglected it, small is light which is very nice, small also equals much much less fuel consumption, I've never used fuel so fast in my life as now with this 038. I am sure I newer big saw would not be as heavy, or as thirsty, but don't ignore the benefits of small.

Oh here we go again.... The annual ' ban the burner' has started again. Sadiq Khan, London mayor, is seeking powers to strengthen the clean air act and ban wood burners. We currently have ability to burn in approved stoves, like your EPA, although possibly not so tight. Still, it'll be 2025.... I'll have burnt enough to have paid for 2 stoves and my saws etc by about 2023. However I may have to hold off on a bigger saw ;)

My 044 is light & fast, and it amazes me how much wood it will cut with one tank of fuel. I've posted it in the past, and don't have time to search for it now, have wood to cut!
The 044/440 is a great lightweight 70cc saw, I run a 20" lite weight stihl bar on mine for my light 70cc saw, the 576 autotune is my heavy/torqy 70cc saw since I don't have a 460/461 right now. It amazes me how much wood you can cut on how much fuel on a larger saw, you may have to fuel quicker even with a larger tank, but there is no way you could cut that much wood on the same amount of fuel with a smaller saw in larger wood, smaller wood and a lot of idle time you can have different results. I remember when I first got my 346xp ne(my first pro saw) I was amazed at how much it would cut on a tank of fuel, that was a while ago :).

Finally got my stuff together today. Time to get to work. Everything you see to the tree line is wood that needs split. Even the grass has wood under it. Ti.
a20c27d9e1cc03dd97b3b116541c3481.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It is all Oak & Hickory and the 044 bucked it all with less than one tank, running a 28" B&C.
That looks about like about as many rounds as I cut with my 346 when I first got it, a couple differences though; all the rounds were 14" and under and I was running an 18" bar lol.

Latest posts

Back