Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up working on a deer stand this afternoon so only had a little time before dark to cut. Started off by dropping a large birch (18") with the 550 and did bucking duties with the 3601. Then onto a couple of 8-10" red maples and ended the evening with a 15" birch. Will finish bucking tomorrow and load the wood into the new wood rack I built under the eaves of my sauna. 4' high by 10' long equals just under a half cord with 18" lengths.

I used about 1.25 tanks with the new 3601. Great power and torque for a little saw, I'm very happy. It's not going to unseat my 550 as the favorite child but it's definitely going to be on the short list when I need to grab a saw. Carl did a great job with the muffler mod. You definitely know it isn't stock but it's not obnoxious at all either.

IMG_0129.JPG

I also took a dremel to my X-27 and turned that rounded top end into a sharp edge for splitting duties tomorrow.
IMG_0132.JPG

241s may be expensive, but they run pretty darn good. They also have M-Tron. I'm really starting to like my M-Tron saws, and my new little MMW 261 is a little beast with 18" 3/8 square filed.

I only run Stihl chain, and square file it all (except semi or carbide). In clean wood, it works the best.

It is what we cut wood with when you are tightening all the fasteners on your Husky!!!
:rock2::rock2::rock2:

The 3601 blows it out of the water. Granted you are comparing a 1.8 hp saw (PS-32) to one that is 2.4 hp before muff mod and timing advance.

If I had to wager a bet I'd say this saw would outcut a stock MS241.
i ran my stock 241 against a MMWS in the cant races at the PA GTG saturday. the guy runnin the MMWS was a experienced cant racer. guess who won? :innocent: :laugh:

i ran my stock 241 against a MMWS in the cant races at the PA GTG saturday. the guy runnin the MMWS was a experienced cant racer. guess who won? :innocent: :laugh:
I'd put my money on the other guy unless you had a really good chain and he didn't.

I hear the 241's really wake up with a little time at the spa.

I'm guessing it was @Definitive Dave and he cut out :surprised3:.
If I had to wager a bet I'd say this saw would outcut a stock MS241.
And the stihl fanboys all said :crazy2:, and all the enthusiast said:laughing:, and the guys who don't know what's happening went o_O:lol:.
It's all fun a games guys, till a loose screw falls out and takes an eye out :laugh:.

The 044 (w/24" bar) and 440 (w/20" bar) felled and bucked this dead Ash into a cord of firewood today. Still has to be split. This is the first of 2 loads.

It was near the road, but a little up hill over dumped leaves and branches, which made it a little challenging. I rolled a few rounds up, then carried some, then got the wheel barrow for the smaller ones. Could only do a half load at a time up the hill and over the debris.

Attachments

• IMG_20171026_144940282 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20171026_144940282 (Large).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20171026_151407262.jpg
    IMG_20171026_151407262.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 14
Forgot to add, I ALWAYS wear my helmet when felling, and today it really paid off. I saw there were two bent over trees in the path of where I was dropping this one, so I cut them both. What I somehow missed is one of them was over another small tree. It was only about an inch in diameter, but when the Ash came down, that little tree whipped around and whacked me right on the top of my head. I never even saw it coming!

With the helmet on, it did not feel too bad, but if I were not wearing that helmet, I would be one hurting camper right now. I'm telling you, that thing really whacked me! Please, always wear a helmet when felling. Who knows, I was cutting alone, it could have even been fatal.

A good afternoon of cutting could very easily have been a disaster instead.

Thanks for posting that Mike .
I've gone through a few gallons of mix over the last few years and I'm alone for a lot of them gallons but I can tell you guys with honesty , head , ear , eye protection , chainsaw pants and chainsaw boots I wear and I own multiples of all .
I'm not a Pee Pee E nanny but I wear mine .
I even change up my hardhats , the plastic ones because of uv deterioration .
I like my MacT in the summer , cooler that plastic but it was made in 1969 so this summer I decided to upgrade it , I bit the bullet and got a new SkullBucket, I had one snuck across the border (no Cnd distributor) by another fine member here :)

I looked at some helmets at Bunyan and saw some good stuff but what do you do when its cold? Will a hat fit under the helmet?
I wear a hooded sweatshirt when it's cold and expand the headliner in the helmet to accommodate the hoodie. I've cut in temps down to -15f with no issues

Went back to the house tonight to feed the cat and grab some supplies for the weekend. Picked up some other chains to try on the 3601 including the square ground 14" Stihl PS. Will grab a video if I remember tomorrow.

Snowing to beat the band right now. Nearly made a new road off the end of my driveway when I pulled in here lol.

IMG_0155.JPG

Went back to the house tonight to feed the cat and grab some supplies for the weekend. Picked up some other chains to try on the 3601 including the square ground 14" Stihl PS. Will grab a video if I remember tomorrow.

Snowing to beat the band right now. Nearly made a new road off the end of my driveway when I pulled in here lol.

View attachment 609118
Dang that pic made me go load the stove.

Forgot to add, I ALWAYS wear my helmet when felling, and today it really paid off. I saw there were two bent over trees in the path of where I was dropping this one, so I cut them both. What I somehow missed is one of them was over another small tree. It was only about an inch in diameter, but when the Ash came down, that little tree whipped around and whacked me right on the top of my head. I never even saw it coming!

With the helmet on, it did not feel too bad, but if I were not wearing that helmet, I would be one hurting camper right now. I'm telling you, that thing really whacked me! Please, always wear a helmet when felling. Who knows, I was cutting alone, it could have even been fatal.

A good afternoon of cutting could very easily have been a disaster instead.
Good reminder Mike, it's never needed when you don't need it, but when you do you doo_O:yes::lol:.
I went to the sprint store yesterday and a guy was in there and told about how his sons brand new iPhone was ruined because he jumped off a bridge into the river with it in his hand :dumb:. Once they left the Gal at the store just laughed and said to another employed(I overheard it)that's the guy who said he didn't need insurance :omg:.
Couple lessons; insurance takes away a few freedoms when you don't need it, but when you do need it, it sure is good to have it, kinda like PPE.
Second if your buddies say lets jump off a bridge with our iPhones...:laughing:.

The funny thing is I'm going to be spending thanksgiving through Easter south of you. This may be the most extreme weather I'll see all winter. :cool::rolleyes:
And we'll be cutting wood, so :p.
That's awesome your getting the chance to do that Steve, I'm glad for you:cheers:.

View attachment 609117 First fire of the season boys! Didn’t really need it but makes it feel cozy. Just a small fire.
We burn wood for all our heat except a small amount from the pellet stove and I've almost finished a whole cabinet full now.
I like your wood stove a lot Jeff, what brand is it, I'm sure I asked before, but I didn't save it.
The odd thing is every time I see it I get hungry, not sure why lol.
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 10.57.29 PM.png

Back