Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early start today. Love watching the sun rise from a tree stand.
1d09e77844ec6da875398fb30a524755.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DB5AE494-7B64-47D9-ADF1-1FFAB5E9E122.jpeg
Take a closer pic of the hickory if you get a chance. I have some stuff that looks just like that but I dont know what it is. Super white, super dry, super light but super hard.

Picture of a different tree that still had some bark. Stem and branch are included. Dead standing, the wood color fades to a blonde almost white, especially if it starts to get punky.

B0F1BB34-1804-444F-899B-D83855AA0E4C.jpeg Was outside today doing Christmas lights, let my chickens out for a bit etc. it’s been unseasonably mild, so I grabbed the maul and puttered around the scrounge pile. Split some silver maple (seen here) ash, Manitoba maple, and balsam fir. Felt good to swing the axe except for the tennis elbow. Surprised how much I did without really going at it hard. Anyways, some is stacked for next winter and some for next camping season. Plus the lights are up so my wife will be happy.

I heat 3,000sq/ft with one stove. An Englander NC30. Single story ranch. 1,500(ish) upstairs, same in basement. (I'll have to measure my basement to see exactly what I'm dealing with). The advantage I have is natural convection/air flow. The stove is in the basement on the west end of the house. Big hole in floor above stove. Big hole in floor for return air at east end. 64F at the thermostat in the hallway is good for me, which means its like 68F in the living room which is plenty warm for me.
Correction...25x50 is the inside footprint of my house. Single story ranch including basement, bathrooms, closets and hallway, which isn't counted as living space as far as home value goes or the auditors website but its still space you have to heat. 2,500(ish) total sq/ft. With one stove, and plans for further modifying air flow in the works....

Back