Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got enough right now for next year...got almost five cords under cover from last year. That's if I'm not heating heating the house in July.

My operation is definitely smaller than a lot of those I have seen here. Put away a touch more than a cord this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

This winter I was glad I had some less than desirable wood on hand. I hauled it out and stacked it where I knew I could get to it fairly easily if the need arose. It did!

I was glad I started cutting ahead last year (based on the thoughtson this forum), not that we didn't have other heat; but I got into next year's wood because it was a longer heating season.

I have no doubt we would have been out in January.

I snagged about a half cord of willow from the landfill/transfer station last august. After hemming and hawing about hauling it home after a long day of construction work; how terrible it is to burn, 42" rounds, soaking wet and heavy and all, I snagged it. Split it up pretty small while drinking a couple of beers and left it in a pile.
The stuff was dry enough to burn in mid-october and got me to mid-november without having to dip into the more desirable wood. I also have a half cord of cottonwood/poplar to get me through this spring. Similar scenario, almost didn't grab it but I'm glad I did.

Scrounging rule #1, don't turn anything down if you have the time to gather and process it. Wood is fire, and fire is heat. Scrounging is not for snobs. Anything that makes the stacks of primo wood last longer is worth picking up, IMO.

I know a lot of folks on here gave me a bad time about trailering home and processing several cords of tree of heaven, but it heated my house just as good as any other softwood. It throws good heat. And it was free for the hauling.

Again, knowing what
burns and what has some stigma attached to it also help in the scrounging...nobody wanted that TOH, I heated my house with it more or less for free. Same with the pine...nobody would touch it, I took as much as I could haul...again, free.

In the begging like a lot of us , grabbed anything , now I am several years ahead ( more than 3). I now can wallow in the luxury of being somewhat snobitish about it, Additionally stacking area is a bit tight, without incurring the wrath of the local Gov. types. I have some aspen/popple trees on the property that need to come down before Mother Nature has her way, as you know they will either get a part of the house or power lines if not directly then by association. New neighbors already asked about the same thing late last fall since then 2 of their's have succumbed to weather related fury, in about the only area that could do no harm other that to make a mess. even missed the 2 cords stacked close by- Mother Nature's aim must been off a bit that day. Still have apx foot of ice/snow in that area so haven't worried about it.

Well , since the snow's days are numbered (cept for what's on the radar for Wednesday :() I figured I'd better get an extra hand for scroungin durin the upcoming blackfly season .

Since I can't afford a PortaWinch or one of these .

I searched and found a starting point .

IMG_20140324_132622.jpg

It's a 12v Powerwinch and it was cheap , I gots plenty of rope and snatch blocks :)

I would temper that a little. Depends on how badly you need the wood and what options you have available.
Philbert
That's why I said, "...if you have the time to gather and process it."
I didn't like grabbing the crap after a hard day of work, but it was there, it was free, and it was just what I needed at the start of this 'winter that won't end'.
My options are; gather wood, or freeze to death.

Rope guides would be the ticket, if you can fashion something workable. Snatch blocks work great by themselves, add motorized pulling power and you have the best of both worlds. I use a 4x4 Dodge for my pulling, my $600 skiddah!. All you need for a power winch is a tree.

That's why I said, "...if you have the time to gather and process it."

What I meant was that sometimes you take what you can get, and sometimes you might have choices. After a severe blow down, you might be able to choose which piles to scrounge from. Other times, pallet wood can look pretty appealing. If you have a bunch of wood already put away, you can be choosier about how far you want to travel, and how much effort you want to put into the wood than if the house is getting cold.

Philbert

What I meant was that sometimes you take what you can get, and sometimes you might have choices. After a severe blow down, you might be able to choose which piles to scrounge from. Other times, pallet wood can look pretty appealing. If you have a bunch of wood already put away, you can be choosier about how far you want to travel, and how much effort you want to put into the wood than if the house is getting cold.

Philbert
No argument with that. But, I was at the 'dump' and it was available, so I didn't turn it down. I could have, but I didn't. I had plenty of stuff to split and stack waiting for me at home.
I'm a couple of years ahead with primo firewood, and have been for many years. I didn't really need the crap, but I grabbed it anyway. And I'm glad I did, as it turned out.
The OP asked/talked about scrounging firewood, and set up a great discussion about just that. I added my opinion; take what you can, when you can. Scrounging 101 IMHO.

The power co took down several locust and ash trees today in front of a warehouse.
I asked the guard if I could have them and she said I needed to come back tomorrow and ask inside.
Hopefully I will be able to pick them up before someone else gets them or someone else that works there gets it.
Its right on the road and about 1.5 cords maybe a bit more.
I'm hopeful but doubtful at this point.
Wish me luck.
Chad

The power co took down several locust and ash trees today in front of a warehouse.
I asked the guard if I could have them and she said I needed to come back tomorrow and ask inside.
Hopefully I will be able to pick them up before someone else gets them or someone else that works there gets it.
Its right on the road and about 1.5 cords maybe a bit more.
I'm hopeful but doubtful at this point.
Wish me luck.
Chad

Luck!

I am not ashamed to scrounge when I can. I keep a small saw in the truck in case the need is there to make a few cuts to be able to get pieces in the truck to get them home. So far it has worked for me.
I don't scrounge all of my wood since I have a friend that has a tree company and lives around the corner so he will drop a load off every now and then.
Up until now I have never bought firewood.

Latest posts

Back