Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , no worky on my home logitch keybord because I have a laptop type mousepad instead of the numbers :(

Here's a new wood scrounging/handeling tool that I found on the interwebz using my googlefu .

I've got a hundred year old set of Ice Tongs that look almost identical and just as heavily made, maybe I'll try them. Just seems by the time I bend over and pick up the tongs, I could bend over and pick up that little log. i can see a hook, you just reach out and smack it. The tongs you kind of have to take time to place them on the log, and then you have to lift your hands to chin level to clear the trailer. If I were trying to put wood on the back of my truck I'd have to lift my hands over my head to clear the tailgate. Now, if she comes with it, I'll take two, Joe.

If I was there I would just hang it on the line ... dry in 10 min.
Sydney made the news here 116 ..... you can keep that
I can dress for the cold lol

Yep and I was wearing a suit for about an hour. The poor groom had to wear it the entire time. I took the jacket off and rolled up my sleeves. Let me tell it completely sucked in that sort of weather

Yep and I was wearing a suit for about an hour. The poor groom had to wear it the entire time. I took the jacket off and rolled up my sleeves. Let me tell it completely sucked in that sort of weather

Well, I assume that the bride and groom chose the time of year to get married. In all fairness, of course, no-one could have foreseen that it could be hot in Sydney in summer o_O.

We often have couples get hitched up the mountain in summer which is normally fine for temperature but you take a risk with the wind and if the couple forget the sunscreen they get toasted for the wedding photos.

Well, I tried out my Asian Twin (660) #2 today, it is the one my Grandson's helped me assemble. I had my brother's 28" B+C on it, and likely this saw will be going to him. I really liked how it pulled, cut some decent size rounds of dead, hard, Chestnut (Rock) Oak. This one had a less aggressive muffler mod, but it pulled at least as well with it. May have had a bit more low end snot, but they are very close.

I went into the woods with the saw, a Timber Jack, and the X-27. Likely will use a wheel barrow to get the wood out as nothing else will fit.

Of course, the deer had come recently to check things out, and if anyone doubts the X-27 can split tough knots, check out pic #2! You just have to make believe you are mad at it!

Not bad for only being on site for less than 2 hours. You work much harder when you know your time is limited!

Attachments

• IMG_20180110_155144452.jpg
    IMG_20180110_155144452.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20180110_152803585.jpg
    IMG_20180110_152803585.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20180110_151843249.jpg
    IMG_20180110_151843249.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180110_155152817.jpg
    IMG_20180110_155152817.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 32
Well, I tried out my Asian Twin (660) #2 today, it is the one my Grandson's helped me assemble. I had my brother's 28" B+C on it, and likely this saw will be going to him. I really liked how it pulled, cut some decent size rounds of dead, hard, Chestnut (Rock) Oak. This one had a less aggressive muffler mod, but it pulled at least as well with it. May have had a bit more low end snot, but they are very close.

Of course, the deer had come recently to check things out, and if anyone doubts the X-27 can split tough knots, check out pic #2! You just have to make believe you are mad at it!

Not bad for only being on site for less than 2 hours. You work much harder when you know your time is limited!

I must say, that's a good looking saw. Then there's this:

"I went into the woods with the saw, a Timber Jack, and the X-27. Likely will use a wheel barrow to get the wood out as nothing else will fit."

That's old school scroungin'. I like.

Yesterday is the first time I let the fire go out in 2 weeks. But I'll take cold over 100*+ any day.
Filled stove Tuesday night. Cleaned it out Wednesday evening and still had a few coals in the ash. No fire yesterday or today. Another cold spell headed my way so I Loaded up the carts in the basement, got kindling laid in stove and even bought a new lighter yesterday. Ready for the next round with nature. I figure I have at least 6-8 more weeks of off and on fires. I have already burnt more wood this winter than I did all of last winter.

Back