Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bobby Kirbos did you see a gain on the 490 when you pulled the base gasket? I was told the bump in compression may be cancelled out by the already low exhaust being brought down even more.
I bought it like that from a member here who is often the target of ridicule. (and most likely deservedly so - think low hours Makita that looks like it went through hell)
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/sweet-makita-6421-hurry.313054/

My saw runs well, so I would say that in my case, it was as described.

Made a trip to the saw shop today and got the parts I needed to fix the 272 and the 55. I still need the muffler heat shield for the 272, but we bolted the muffler on anyways and gave it a pull. Cranked on third pull. Put on a new 24in chisel chain and done. Just a little tweak of the carb and ready to go. Before leaving the shop, I asked about any old 55's I could rob a few bolts out of. No 55's, but he had a complete 51. close enough. I asked him what was wrong with the 51 and he didnt know, but since it was in the scrap heap, I could have it. A big thankyou and I loaded both saws in the truck and headed home. I had some small 12 dia white oak that needed bucking so I fired up the 272 and it quickly became my new favorite saw. With new chain it flew thru those little logs. Had a 24in white pine laying there so bucked a few rounds off it too. I'm impressed. After bucking a few rounds, I could tell the saw was getting stronger and reving higher. I guess the new piston and ring are getting broke in.

Time to turn my attention to the 51. I decided to just try to crank it and see if it would even run. Felt like it had decent compression so worth a shot. After a few pulls, I could tell it wasnt getting any gas so I pulled the top cover and found the little lever on the choke side of the carb was broke off. How does anybody break one of those. It was a walbro carb and I had a zima setting on the bench so a quick swap and time to give cranking another try. Couple of pulls with the choke on and it hit a lick. Pushed in the choke and a couple more pulls and it was varoom. A few twist of the carb adjustments and it was screaming. This saw is to good to rob parts off of, so I guess I am back to looking for another parts saw to fix my 55. My brother has a old 50 that isnt to dependable that I think I will swap the 51 for. I figure it will be a two for one swap, I give him the 51 and I get the 50, plus I get my other 55 back he has had borrowed for the last 6 months.

Ah, neat little bugger. May have to order one. How long have you had yours? Anything a potential buyer should be aware of?

Works great, I love it, very useful. Buy the rope from them that goes with it. Not cheap, but 3X the strength of what HD sells, so it is worth it.

Things I really like:

1) Adjusts to any length real quick, (just pull the rope through till it is snug) Much faster/easier than a wire come along.

2) Since rope stretches a bit, you can put tension on the tree before you cut, even if you are working alone.

You will learn how tight you can make it, too tight will strip the rope.

That's a land rover .... We don't see many here in the states ..... only seen 1 myself

I get to work on them every now and then lol

IP8TDy3msmyUm12GTLo5P4zGMC1zZX3p2_iuhubD0wMABwky6Fi1CjXYjtORjdVx0dQY4FZx58akZXwBznYLdn0iXnDpLNfZBa06JhKPsHCPQp2hszj1uSaXMr9Eh4PJNzrjM0Mxhy1zU737WjWge0IWA0cnDEVMQdC37bOdJkDfWnrEiXRHYf7BwtaKRGWEVZQ7aejw0nXeZC1HgDRmDYIINvj9CM1VP9hTjAK9HZnM0OT3JVULEmRTtacxKZoGZxN_U0HfhEHcUPqFNK4bHR2DaZBFYZ3Cv7rwY_TEJ_74UxyH7lPFWguPJemkwoiRwt-t36fm4YFAcgwXIoyxS7OiTtr2Lqg7gICSEN3jj-4ZZjQMD-8-O8dEDedaS4bPaY4ufC7zzI5vCYGR1_2RiB2FCrSjZBX3d7XVWwobsL-zNqSY7OJclWu8bXh6orSiULRrA7ukwx4Tp48W429SlIHMranfFE2E5ule2lPjJiPn1rFxqivwtdveK7bv8l3zbIdaeGEHiP9UNCVjyAVp3N5mhHYiRHdIl9ibHRJFLDJ6ltW9nagZ5cV2IUxZL_ABwRvK3-lYWbI2S9sYI_WydegXJqGBs_Dpveq1CdQ=w1248-h937-no

This one came over from Germany so the steering wheel is on the correct side ;)
Hey Cowboy !!
I have a not so pretty but a paid off house , if you come up we'll drive by some expensive homes on the way to the scrounging grounds so I can show you the "Magical Spruce Forest" :)

Hey Uncle Mike, if your going to be milling some wood this spring, make me a bench top for my reloading tools. My RCBS box came in the mail today. I ended up ordering it from Midway USA, dragged my feet and it went off sale at Cabelas but then went on sale at Midway. Super excited to get going. I don't want to put it on my "chainsaw" bench...

View attachment 628698 Chickens say “Thanks for burning all that pesky wood so we can sit here”.
View attachment 628699 I have been picking away at the pile, doing some hand splitting. Usually there is way too much snow for this. I’m running out of hand splittable pieces, mostly the big and gnarly ones destined for the splitter or saw.
Got maybe 3 facecord of hardwood left to split and maybe 2 of pine. I’ll be on the hunt for hardwood this year!

Our chickens love me for splitting wood, they hang out around me when I'm splitting if the temps are above 50 or so and when I walk away they go through the pile of scraps and stuff pretty quickly. If I come across and bugs/grubs I always throw them for the chickens, and if I get a log that has a lot of ants I'll set it away for awhile to let them go through it, they love the wood sheds/piles.

Will do Matt, no problem, maybe you even come and help me!!! Got the Radial Arm Saw and Boards all set! Let me know the dimensions you want.

Also, let me know what powders you want to try. I know I have IMR 4350, RL 22 and RL 19 in bulk. May also have IMR 4064 and H-335.

I don't use the RL Powders, so feel free if you want to tinker. They works well, but are more temp sensitive than other powders.

Milling Logs available for Spring: Ash (both downstate + upstate), Cherry (up at the property), White Oak, Chestnut Oak (standing + down), and Sugar Maple (all downstate). We got some work to do!!! Harold is very interested in, and may help me with, the Chestnut Oak. I think Chestnut/White Oak combo would be striking!

Got lots of Hickory (both Smooth + Shag) and Red Oak already milled. 2" + 4" (4" for legs).

Story time...

Couple weeks ago I got my W-2's and my morgage interest statement from the bank. Run to H&R Block. After the $1,000 Obama fine I got like $30 back from feds. Today I check the mail and theres a another interest statement. (?) I didn't actually look at the 1st one and it was a statement for an equity line of credit. There was only $750 paid in interest on it so they didn't itemize because the standard deduction was more than itemizing that interest. The REAL morgage interest paid was $3,500 so she amended the return and even after the Obama fine I now get $700 something. :D Halfway to a splitter. :D

Then after I left there I went up the street to the big scrounge pile where I thought I left my spudbar. And there it was. Stood up against the log I leaned it on. All cold and lonely. But its back home now. To see another day of prying on big logs. Carry on.

Back