Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i managed a bit of splitting yesterday. Justb 1/2 a cube of oak. I'd got this stuff at the end of november and roughy chunked it up to star drying so yesterday i just took the ickle x17 to it. That little splitter doesn't half pack a mighty punch....and of course the oak was pretty darn easy splitting. this oak is an experiment. i know that oak dries slowly but i want to test if i can beat te 3 year rule and dry it in 1, i want to burn it next winter. i split small for my ickle stoves so it can dry faster but this is also being stacked at the front of house against a south facing wall and i think i'll get a sheet of clear plastic and cover it for a bit of solar kiln action. we shall see where it ends up. it doesn't need to be burnt in a hurry so if it isn't ready it doesn't matter, just a bit of fun experimentation.
When I lost my house and moved in with my in laws her dad never let anything dry more then a year. Probly wasn't perfect but he never had issue with oak being to wet to burn. IMG_20170416_192419.jpgAre racks are 8 feet high by maybe 10 feet long. Setup so one side gets sun in the morning and the other in the evening and the wind is normally blowing threw it to. I'm sure all that helps with drying times.

Neil,

What’s the max burn time you can get with your little stove?

Not long. Absolute maximum, 2.5 hours. It's the equivalent of an epa tube stove and always gets too much air in order to burn clean at all times, so it races. Not too much of an issue though, it just gets lit evenings and other times when we are in, burns out overnight and if it's chilly by morning the gas boiler kicks in briefly.

Wow that’s almost spruce short times.
I’d be measuring up your fire box, cutting some pieces to suit and trying to fit two big chunks next to each other to see what you can get out of it.

Shorter then that on Spruce. 2.5 hours is hard wood logs placed on just a few embers, vents as closed as they go, burn through to just a few embers left. If a put hard wood logs into a decent bed of coals the cycle is much faster and I'm at embers in well under 2 hours. Softwoods, I'm loading hourly. It's a dinky firebox, Mac log length is 13.5", max diameter 4.5". With a log that size only one fits. Also most/all my larger diameter wood is already ringed when I get it and often much shorter, 6 " sometimes. So it's load often. I don't mind though, stove is in the lounge where we sit of an evening so it's no bother really. Mains gas and timer/thermostat controlled central heating fills in if the stove is out. Besides, no room for a bigger stove, the house is the limitation there. If I had a bigger fireplace though I'd fit a bigger stove.

Moms first car was a 68 hard top Formula S. Mom and dad have the 69 383 4-speed Dart my grandmother daily drove for 12 years.[/QUOTE]
Mines a 383 4 speed. They only built 64, 383 ragtops, in 68 and none in 67 and 69. Many years ago I had a chance to buy a 68 Dart GTS for $200 dollars. It was yellow with black interior and black stripe, auto. Only problem was the kid that owned it was in jail for drug related stuff. His brother said he could get the title and would sell it to me. I grew up with the family and knew all the boys, but the last thing I wanted was for the kid to get out of jail and come to me for his car back. I don't think he would cause any trouble, he would just want the car back for what I gave his brother. But a 68 GTS is one of the Holy Grails of Mopars and once I got it, I wouldn't give it back. The last time I checked the Chrysler Registry there were only 12 68 383 converts know to exist, Joe.

PS: In high school I did have 3 different 69 Dart 340's, 1 red 4 spd, 1 orange auto, and 1 blue with black vinyl top with hood and stripe delete. The blue one with the flat hood and no stripe was a cool sleeper.
H6FIR32.jpg

Moms first car was a 68 hard top Formula S. Mom and dad have the 69 383 4-speed Dart my grandmother daily drove for 12 years.
Mines a 383 4 speed. They only built 64, 383 ragtops, in 68 and none in 67 and 69. Many years ago I had a chance to buy a 68 Dart GTS for $200 dollars. It was yellow with black interior and black stripe, auto. Only problem was the kid that owned it was in jail for drug related stuff. His brother said he could get the title and would sell it to me. I grew up with the family and knew all the boys, but the last thing I wanted was for the kid to get out of jail and come to me for his car back. I don't think he would cause any trouble, he would just want the car back for what I gave his brother. But a 68 GTS is one of the Holy Grails of Mopars and once I got it, I wouldn't give it back. The last time I checked the Chrysler Registry there were only 12 68 383 converts know to exist, Joe.

PS: In high school I did have 3 different 69 Dart 340's, 1 red 4 spd, 1 orange auto, and 1 blue with black vinyl top with hood and stripe delete. The blue one with the flat hood and no stripe was a cool sleeper.
H6FIR32.jpg
[/QUOTE]Are Dart is blue. I'll try to get some pictures up. If you've been to Chryslers at Carlisle you've seen it. We go every year.

H6FIR32.jpg
Are Dart is blue. I'll try to get some pictures up. If you've been to Chryslers at Carlisle you've seen it. We go every year.[/QUOTE]
I haven't been to Carlisle in a few years, I used to drive the Cuda up, but I think I've only been twice since I took it apart, Joe.

Wow that’s almost spruce short times.
I’d be measuring up your fire box, cutting some pieces to suit and trying to fit two big chunks next to each other to see what you can get out of it.

You guys must have pretty crappy spruce down there ....

Pffft ;)

Back