Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed it for ya Mike.:rolleyes: Are you gettin ready for some snow.?
That's right, but which way do you run Steve:crazy2:.
Many of you guys have seen this one, but it never gets old, but you will if you stay aware that trees can kill you :yes:.
Skip to 1:00 for the real action :surprised3:.

Damn computers

Not enough sled snow here .

b51McFD.jpg

S8yEPBa.jpg

rI8P48X.jpg

I dropped that load off this morning , one of the resi lot scrounges , the fella was real happy because he was figuring his woodpile wouldn't last till spring .

Since I still had the trailer hooked up I headed back behind the gate to see what I could find after I had a sammich :)

bV9q1s1.jpg

I could smell the rain coming so I decided to pick up some of the maple and birch that I had hauled to the roadside a while back .

rsplhSB.jpg

mvypn1M.jpg

UrHBBjw.jpg

AbB7JOe.jpg

Not a big load but I was right

RRx1Q2X.jpg

Still was a good day :)
That Fiskars hook worked well loading the poles so I'm happy but it's not a tool for firewood rounds .

That's right, but which way do you run Steve:crazy2:.
Many of you guys have seen this one, but it never gets old, but you will if you stay aware that trees can kill you :yes:.
Skip to 1:00 for the real action :surprised3:.

a couple of things and you guys chime in on my thoughts. looking at the tree with a big hole in one side.TROUBLE. i thought the saw dust from his saw was really fine. a sign of dry/rotten wood. MORE TROUBLE. cutting on his knees with such a large tree. DOUBLE TROUBLE. just my 2 pennies.

Meanwhile in Groveport I'm over here scroungin popsicle sticks and filing chains backwards
dang buckeyes.:buttkick: (i know how they are i'm married to one):crazy2:

That tree didn't so much barber as explode. I assume he could see from the chips that the tree was rotten and what's going on with the stump? Looks odd shaped. He did well to get clear when it said 'ok, that's enough', even knowing it was a very iffy tree!
good eye Neil. that fine dust is always a giveaway.

I've posted a few of these types of pics before. I cut 13'4 logs into 16" rounds for splitting. 9 cuts per log and this bar was approx. 150 logs so 1350 cuts. Because the logs are all close to the same size it wears pretty bad and because I cut them all in one weekend the saw, chain and bar gets pretty warm. Saw only gets shut off to refill and that only takes a minute or two. I might change out the chain once or twice but again only takes a couple of minutes. I keep a can of chain lube and soak the bar about every half tank of fuel.
IMG_20160926_175636.jpg IMG_20160926_175835.jpg IMG_20160928_173952.jpg IMG_20160929_173003.jpg

a couple of things and you guys chime in on my thoughts. looking at the tree with a big hole in one side.TROUBLE. i thought the saw dust from his saw was really fine. a sign of dry/rotten wood. MORE TROUBLE. cutting on his knees with such a large tree. DOUBLE TROUBLE. just my 2 pennies.
And the tree looked like a leaner. I would have put the face-cut on the other side of the tree.

The last one cut for half a tank. Then I knew I screwed up. Then put the new chain on. On a better note...I discovered drop bears really do exist.

IMG_20180204_184921.jpgpre @farmer steve chain butchering. This barely maid dust on its first cut.IMG_20180204_185418.jpg two years of practice and I'm still not that good at it.

Damn computers
I've posted a few of these types of pics before. I cut 13'4 logs into 16" rounds for splitting. 9 cuts per log and this bar was approx. 150 logs so 1350 cuts. Because the logs are all close to the same size it wears pretty bad and because I cut them all in one weekend the saw, chain and bar gets pretty warm. Saw only gets shut off to refill and that only takes a minute or two. I might change out the chain once or twice but again only takes a couple of minutes. I keep a can of chain lube and soak the bar about every half tank of fuel.
View attachment 630555 View attachment 630556 View attachment 630557 View attachment 630558
Hi. For that kind of use , you need to be useing all stihl brand products. Bar & chain have oil groves to help lube bar and chain better. Is oil pump set to the high setting ?
. I have a 460 with all stihl stuff on it that I use it to noodle cut big rounds down to size. And never have Bar wear problems. Tip is still good when i call the Bar to be junk. I dress my bars on a tablesaw. And i use stihl oil. When my saw runs out of gas my oil is also. Almost empty. Just my two cents . hope this helps.

Back