Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update on the paddles.
3/4 day on them today.
Three are pictured.
Right=my current paddle
Left and middle=those two cedar paddles.
Middle is with a wet wipe to raise the grain before final sand/oiling. Has Native timber blade edges (Rimu) and tips (Puriri)
Left just has the shape roughed out and I'm going to leave it with flat spots and sharp edges to experiment. Ironbark tips (another experiment).

Might not get them done tomorrow because fishing is likely in the morning.
Will post one final photo of better quailty when both done and oiled.

Attachments

• GPInProgress.jpg
    GPInProgress.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 45
Quick update on the paddles.
3/4 day on them today.
Three are pictured.
Right=my current paddle
Left and middle=those two cedar paddles.
Middle is with a wet wipe to raise the grain before final sand/oiling. Has Native timber blade edges (Rimu) and tips (Puriri)
Left just has the shape roughed out and I'm going to leave it with flat spots and sharp edges to experiment. Ironbark tips (another experiment).

Might not get them done tomorrow because fishing is likely in the morning.
Will post one final photo of better quailty when both done and oiled.

Will need fishing photos. After Car Why's?

Jeez where is everyone today? With rain across much of the east coast I figured this place would be busy.
I'll have some firewood stacking pics later. Just put my name in for one of the HD 64xx rental saws. Here in southern PA its low 30s and clear Sky's at the moment.

2F739595-1FCD-4404-A13F-AA59E9E83ADE.jpeg “What are you doing, dad?” My daughter asked. I said that I was going to carry up some firewood. 2 seconds later her and my son were out to help me without my asking. Many hands make light work and in a matter of minutes we had about 2 weeks worth stacked next to the door.

You can get a top end for those saws to turn them into 79xx. Be quite a difference I’d imagine. No more Dolmar in Canada, makita is selling them here and the 7310 is the biggest you can get here.
That's the long term plan. Can't afford a 7900 out right but the HD rental should be under $300 and I can get the P/C when funds allow. Iv wanted a 79xx saw since before I knew AS existed.

Jeez where is everyone today? With rain across much of the east coast I figured this place would be busy.
Been rewiring the studio. Can't get out on the ground. Can't even unload the wood thats in the back of my truck. Been haulin a load around for 2 weeks because I cant get to the fenceline.

Attachments

• 20180215_164619.jpg
    20180215_164619.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20180215_164635.jpg
    20180215_164635.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
Been rewiring the studio. Can't get out on the ground. Can't even unload the wood thats in the back of my truck. Been haulin a load around for 2 weeks because I cant get to the fenceline.

Great job on the wiring. Uncle Stach should be along to hire you.

Will need fishing photos. After Car Why's?
It was marlin with a by-catch of tuna and I was slaying them. No photos because in my dreams; overslept my alarm and missed the morning session. Will have to scrounge a suitable white light to legally hit it on dusk tonight.

Did catch a PB car-ha-why (kaha(strong)+wai(water)=strong fighting fish) after work mid-week last week. Don't know the weight because I seldom keep 'em, but it was over 700mm long. A great fight on a lightweight spinning rod.

On the plus side, I should finish those paddles today, and hopefully a dusk fishing session will have given the fish a few hours to calm down after the sonic assault of 6000 weekenders in fizz boats and jet skis that invade this place like locusts every Summer weekend.

Next week should see delivered a big box of fish candy from an Ozzy luremaker. A veritable variety pack to dispense amongst my kayak fishing brethren for a group-testing and review process to narrow down what works and what doesn't on this side of the ditch. Hard-body diving lures. Various depths. The trick is finding lures that work well without too much paddling effort - most lures over here are more suited to trolling from a boat and are too much drag to paddle around for long.

Hopefully some prove successful on our main targets of kingis and snapper and the luremaker makes a few sales. A few days ago my nephew caught a 29kg kingi, the tinny bugger. He doesn't fish much, doesn't eat seafood, is broke but somehow found $450 and two days off work for a boat charter with some mates who fish.

my good luck?... couple weeks ago I picked up a double plowing job from a new customer... after plowing his sales property, he asked if I would be interested in some logs! ok? tell me about them! piled, limbed and all jack pine, he say's! not wanting to chase off a new plow customer and some free wood, what could I say...looks to be about 4? 41/2 cords ... so it's a scrounge. ? "RIGHT" ?

Just caught up on the last week and a bit of scrounge thread. My wife was in th US for work so I was a single parent working full time........ not enough hours in the day to read the scrounge thread.

Anyway you guys will like this. You know how we always joke about the deadly Australian critters. Well last weekend I took a group of workmates canyoning in the blue mountains west of Sydney. This is where you walk down a creek which forms into a deep narrow canyon. The ones we did required a lilo / airbed to get through long stretches of deep cold water. On the walk in it was 40 deg C. One of the guys had heat stroke and nearly passed out. Then when we got to the canyon it was freezing cold. Soon after starting we had to get past 2 brown snakes, the canyon was only 1.5m wide and brown snakes a very venomous and aggressive (they will chase you not slither away). We all got through safely. A bit further down the canyon one of the guys was liloing in front of me he spotted a brown snake on a rock shelf. Next thing the snake jumps into the water and is coming for him. He jumps off his lilo and is swimming back at me literally screaming for his life. Lucky he got away safely, I was next in line and had to take the lead, fortunately I didn’t see it anD we all got through safely. We later regrouped and some of the other guys had also spotted a tiger snake on a log in the middle of a narrow section. I must have glanced by it without spotting it.
Anyway last week I keep getting people coming up to me at work with “hey Jeff I hear you tried killing a group of work mates”. We will have story’s to tell for years to come. :cold:

Latest posts

Back