Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back I saw pics of guys throwing dead saw crankcases into the fire to watch the magnesium burn. Not sure if that would cause dangerous runoff though?

One of the first things a chemistry student (I was one many many moons ago) learns: the two most dangerous things when burning magnesium are

1)Water and CO2 extinguishers will just make things worse... actually water will make things much worse
2)The worst risk for your health is looking directly at the flame without welder's googles or another form of UV eye protection

Assuming magnesium is in pure form or very nearly so the byproducts are just magnesium oxyde, which can help with indigestion, and a lot of energy in form of light and heat.
Magnesium alloys used in dies usually include small quantities of aluminum, manganese, zinc and occasionally more exotic metals... nothing in such quantities as to be harmful unless directly inhaled.

Of course this is not a behavior your local authorities, especially professors, are likely to condone unless carried out for didactic purposes under controlled conditions... :rolleyes:

A politician once promised a statutory holiday if he was voted in. So now we have “Family Day” in Ontario. Since my boss has to pay me, the least I can do is endeavor to spend as much time with my family as I can. Me and my two youngest took a hike to a frozen waterfall. They are getting big but not too big to enjoy sliding down a hill on a toboggan. Later we had a bonfire at my brother in laws (here is where the scrounging comes in) where we ridded the city of any pesky pallets/skids that were laying about. CBE370C6-46A3-4448-BC6E-A3749AAB2735.png 617BFBD4-5C0D-44FC-B8D9-B4AB64EF8302.png

I didn't run any saws this weekend but I did make it to the undisclosed scrounge stashpile today :)
Jerry had been there during good weather when he had a bit of time blocking and stacking some of the scrounged wood . I figured I'd best get up there and put some time in on the stash so I grabbed a few of my splitters and headed out .

RB4xTtl.jpg

CFglWue.jpg

vydY7C1.jpg

0twYjsk.jpg

nwA90NL.jpg

I saved some for another day lol

3Rav4p8.jpg

How do you like the Husky maul? Looks to be 6-8 lbs.?

I like it , the balance is good and the head design makes it easy to twist as you hit the round .
It doesn't stick in the round like I thought it would unless you stick it in the doughty center of a maple round (don't ask how I know this lol) .
Is it the ultimate , I don't think so but it is nice .
If it was down to only having 2 , I'd have to go with the X25 and the IsoCore but what would be the fun of that ?

I didn't realize how big these were until I had to load them. lol
I know the feeling, when I go into the woods and pick a tree to cut, it never looks that big when it's standing, but when you have it cut up in lengths and left onto your shoulder do you realize how big and heavy it is. The worst part is to carry it all out to the road telling myself that I won't cut a tree as big next time but I never learn

Wood.jpg Remember this mess from about three weeks ago? Well, we finally had enough rain to float the big sections of the Cottonwood down the creek towards my property (the tree actually fell on neighbor's property). I cut them into manageable pieces and then the Fiskars did the rest. I did this before I had to go to work, so there is still some moving & stacking to do. A lot of work for just Cottonwood, but hey, it's free wood.

View attachment 634342 Remember this mess from about three weeks ago? Well, we finally had enough rain to float the big sections of the Cottonwood down the creek towards my property (the tree actually fell on neighbor's property). I cut them into manageable pieces and then the Fiskars did the rest. I did this before I had to go to work, so there is still some moving & stacking to do. A lot of work for just Cottonwood, but hey, it's free wood.
I wish all my firewood would just float down the stream into my yard.

Latest posts

Back