Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
qZ5IVs7.jpg

Straight back in the middle of the pic , a big birch with a dead top , he's next lol

Ash doesn't drop nuts.
That's right, only nuts drop ash :laugh:.
Dropped a lot of them two Saturdays ago :D.
Just getting started here, we took out all the way to the large red oak on the right with 4 spars. There's a large multi spar maple(on the ground to the right of the big red oak) the ported 440 ate up with a 20" bar, she was about 3' across, couldn't believe I managed to get that one in one piece :surprised3:.
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.55.38 PM.png
This was all cleared for a farmer who is installing a sprinkler in the field and needed the corner of this section around the swamp/wetland area cleaned up so the end would make the swing.
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.58.06 PM.png
Here's what we took out approximately. My nephew was the one benefitting of the "scrounge", as did the farmer.
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.58.52 PM.png

The x27..... The only polarising controversial topic on the scrounge thread. I’ll have buy one and form my own opinion but cutting and splitting has been the last thing on my mind over the summer months.
I was just thinking about this. Guys who hadn't used the X-27 would get so pissed about people singing it's praises.

The other fight that has completely died off was the "elitist" versus traditional wood stove. A few years ago there were some royally epic discussions on that topic as well.

I was just thinking about this. Guys who hadn't used the X-27 would get so pissed about people singing it's praises.

The other fight that has completely died off was the "elitist" versus traditional wood stove. A few years ago there were some royally epic discussions on that topic as well.
Same way with huskys :innocent:.

Thats for sure. Especially the internally rotted ones that you dont know are rotted. Get the face cut in then the tree pops and you're stumbling around trying to get away from it like the guy in that one vid.
I haven't had that problem with them, most everything we cut here is still very solid except at the roots and some of the smaller branches. You better be wearing a hard hat and keep your eye's to the sky as well as know you escape routes, as they will flick some pretty good side branches around an make you do a dance move or two if your not making a good plan to fell them in a certain order:crazy2:.

The brand wars died long ago.

However if you get your saw ported by the wrong guy, you can still get throw out of certain cliques :dizzy:
I run into it all the time still, and do everything I can to add fuel to the fire, meanwhile having a lot of them and being willing to run/own them all :blob2:.
So I heard, I'm being careful :lol:.

I run into it all the time still, and do everything I can to add fuel to the fire, meanwhile having a lot of them and being willing to run/own them all :blob2:.
So I heard, I'm being careful :lol:.
I have owned just about ever major brand at this point but I will still call out a fanboy when I see one lol. There is enough mis-information out there already so IMO there is no sense in spreading more. Like these video "comparisons" where they are putting the dawgs to one saw while holding the other one back LOL.

In regards to the saw builder groupies, trying to reason with them is like trying to talk politics...Facts and real world observations mean nothing if it doesn't fit into their agenda. :hi::dumb:

It is also funny how they are out to "expose" certain builders while trying to sweep the misdeeds of other builders under the table.

End rant. Thats what I like about the firewood forum. The chest thumpers stay out of here lol.

Back