Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
City is doing heavy pruning on my block today. Only happens every _(?)_ years. Lots of 'zogger wood' (up to about 8" maximum) available, but I really have no place to put it. Plus, they are kind of cleaning up as they go, so (fortunately) I can't be tempted to sneak out later tonight and pick through it!

IMG_1643.jpg IMG_1644.JPG

Philbert

Chase them around with a chainsaw.
I've done that in the past! Hatchback open like @dancan ; battery powered chainsaw to amuse and distract them; etc. Most are pretty good about it, as long as I stay out of their way. Some have asked that I don't use a chainsaw while they are there,so the Fiskars comes out.

I burn mostly smaller wood, but too many projects, and not enough room right now.

Philbert

I think James meant that it often works with finishing off bucking cuts as well as noodling cuts. In the right circumstances.

You could do that. Or you could just go and buy a Stihl :numberone: .
I think James meant that it often works with finishing off bucking cuts as well as noodling cuts. In the right circumstances.

You could do that. Or you could just go and buy a Stihl :numberone: .

My whole stable is Stihl so I'm way ahead of you! :) Well all but an Echo CS303 top handle I bought to fill-in for my MS192 while it was in the hospital - not very satisfied with the 303 - doesn't hold a candle to the 192 in the cut. Just bought an MS362 to replace my very well used 361 last week. Haven't even fired that one up yet.

The plate I asked the dealer for was from my MS441 which oddly, as opposed to all my other Stihls, has the chain catcher attached to the clutch cover plate.

I know what noodling is. I break the rounds off then noodle them in half and use sledge and wedge to break the last inch or so to avoid getting the chain in the dirt.

Ahah! I read it as making the bucking cuts and using the wedge to break the round loose. I figured I had mistook something.

Will anyone second this motion?
I second!

Will hold it for you Neil if you want to come pick it up!

Turned down a partial silver maple removal across the alley (even closer) a few months ago.

No room. Have a few years' worth stacked away. It's what happens when you help others clean up their trees!

Philbert

Done a little back yard scrounging lately. Thought this tree was much smaller looking at it every day through the kitchen window. Turns out it’s 22 inches across the base. Biggest tree I’ve fell to date.

eea9361531de603bd4ce6b58730341aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back