Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol , I meant bored .

qX5RzCU-6rKd-8OqnABS3Cv8jWVdhPHXaxz0-t2tBGS9NOhvAFkzz0cE3BSzeGTSQxAml-HttNdR6QMDeq2eS4Za9rqwpf8mfaOHZX_FnoMUqnCdlUqmuEsttmx0-4CUHy_IH4IT-lFAMZuxsaBDbP-n8UAUQ-m4Zgg1pNnWR0cNEOtW0zycSaQo12G4E8LlUiPDMmzhEopUD5uQF93_XACN-yRK62NWNP7yUDmX4wKc2xrY0ppLszHSCBNJu4U-oDhvdEOMJkmz8-IZIzUeFpQXrDFBlvVUPaXPG5wqmDPsNuj1FnUPJxJzoMI2N2u2Bubalb0XVkSuplDajzZkn_fe1v9bgfD-MYOve-IKU1iw1svHuEgDK0Tprxqpz-Xdz_NCGUu6bBZIz2VsdaC0tc8OfseqalPsUaj4blBksJOmKXXbZ_-PbLjqwH--Q25WaaPbwluSxS4b8sHnN74Ez05v96nUNK4m0zUrRQXicZpdHCHGhCGcjJWbWF67OTXQkiJN3rB6n7-Z5O1vk33SmxwW1Vg84-y2ooLbOfdKGeyG2SIiBqEzdxloXDg2Kj4fYiBH4CH_bi_opP8mUnlJTXeqUkI5LKpixN0xEtRuNgL-0wGoLCWdtfYylEwov16rICdDU7M0woy8QEWBc9ZFLCYRFATTjXm4hw=w1663-h935-no

Couldn't let a weekend go by without a refill on the woodpile .

Where are the rest of the pics? I approve of your scrounginess in cutting that big oak but your photo taking performance needs to improve. Why, that log is worth at least seven pics per scrounge.
I'm almost too embarrassed to post this single picture of my scrounge yesterday. Forgot to get any pics of the 3 John Deere Gator loads or when that turned into 1 truck load. Ash, poplar, and 1 stick of locust.20180311_152112.jpg

Farmer Steve, those bolts look cool but pricy. I bent the original drawbolt so not sure those locking ones would last too long in the bush. I lost a cotter key on the grab hook on the chain that I keep on the grapple today. All it does is hold the grapple from swinging when I'm not using it, branch must have ripped it out.
I cut down what I thought was a real rotten ash today. The bark was all falling off and it looked pretty crappy. I cut it high and figured I would push it over later. Turns out it was solid as heck and I made some shredded carrot out of a wedge trying to push it where I wanted it to go. The picture is from after it fell. Chainsaw is where I was standing as it went over, red glove is where a dead branch from the top fell. The top canopy was all dead and most of it broke off when it hit the ground. I'm still surprised how solid the tree was when it looked so bad. Was a decent few hours, I got 6 trees down and hauled home and put on the log pile.
IMG_20180311_125709.jpg IMG_20180311_125743.jpg

Farmer Steve, those bolts look cool but pricy. I bent the original drawbolt so not sure those locking ones would last too long in the bush. I lost a cotter key on the grab hook on the chain that I keep on the grapple today. All it does is hold the grapple from swinging when I'm not using it, branch must have ripped it out.
I cut down what I thought was a real rotten ash today. The bark was all falling off and it looked pretty crappy. I cut it high and figured I would push it over later. Turns out it was solid as heck and I made some shredded carrot out of a wedge trying to push it where I wanted it to go. The picture is from after it fell. Chainsaw is where I was standing as it went over, red glove is where a dead branch from the top fell. The top canopy was all dead and most of it broke off when it hit the ground. I'm still surprised how solid the tree was when it looked so bad. Was a decent few hours, I got 6 trees down and hauled home and put on the log pile.
View attachment 638842 View attachment 638843
the white part on that is stihl sucking sap up the tree trying to live. the brown part is whats dead/dying. iv'e checked trees like that with the MM and a big diff in moisture content from the white to the brown wood. good score none the less.

BEA0FC05-D401-4002-98A9-501BC005F43B.jpeg Had to drive my son back to college today in Toronto so the better part of the day was spent folded into my wife’s gas mizer. Since the time went ahead, there is actually sunlight after supper so I sped off to scrounge site #2 and cut down 3 small dead elm (many many there) Yes that’s 3 trees in my truck! So to fill out the load we gathered some wood that had already been blocked up. No pics of that because it was too dark. There is still a load of maple (really valuable) ready to go plus I still have cutting to do at the first site. Now I’m about to lower my hurting carcass into a whirlpool. Forgot how much work running a saw and slugging rounds is!

Yes. Two of us cut wood together and split everything 50/50. Both of us have OWB ers.

I was going with the Oem 7910 kit but I got a bit in the B.B. kit so I will run it until it dies. It’s actually a really good runner. I have a 20” bar as well and was thinking of going to a 8 pin rim but it may be too much when I put the 30” on it and I don’t want to switch rims every time I change bars!
Nice to have someone to work/cut with, especially when your working with big wood like that.
Many of the BB kits for them are pretty decent, probably have no problem running with my ported 6421, there's a big cc difference there :yes:.

Nice to have someone to work/cut with, especially when your working with big wood like that.
Many of the BB kits for them are pretty decent, probably have no problem running with my ported 6421, there's a big cc difference there :yes:.

Do you think it will run the 8 pin with a skip chain on my 30” bar? I know with the 7 pin I can really bare down on it and it’s not lacking any power.

Justjeff, where the heck is your snow? The last storm was a real strange one, the amounts of snow is all over the board even short distances away. My pictures are from today, we have about 12" on the ground.
Farmersteve, it was a heavy log so I'm assuming it's holding a lot of water. It had a nice bend in it so I threw it aside for the milling pile. If I ever get time to mill, had another request today for some live edge. They don't care what kind but want knotty stuff with some shape to it. Good thing I bought the 130 instead of the 122 model.

Justjeff, where the heck is your snow? The last storm was a real strange one, the amounts of snow is all over the board even short distances away. My pictures are from today, we have about 12" on the ground.
Farmersteve, it was a heavy log so I'm assuming it's holding a lot of water. It had a nice bend in it so I threw it aside for the milling pile. If I ever get time to mill, had another request today for some live edge. They don't care what kind but want knotty stuff with some shape to it. Good thing I bought the 130 instead of the 122 model.
You guys got all the snow. Everything passed south of us. Everyone is cutting like mad while the ground is still frozen before it melts into a muddy mess.

Do you think it will run the 8 pin with a skip chain on my 30” bar? I know with the 7 pin I can really bare down on it and it’s not lacking any power.
I can't answer that from experience as I only have a few semi skip chains and run full comp on everything and normally a 7 pin. I don't usually worry much about it being fast, and I don't want to put much strain on the clutch side so I just get a bigger saw when needed or a different bar and chain combo.
This one isn't broke in yet, but it doesn't like a fresh chain at low rpms at all, it's running an 8 pin 28" full comp, but it pulls it fine once you get it feeding and the rpms up.

Different saw that's well broke in, it doesn't like a 20 with a little excess hook. I would imagine that if your saw pulls like a stock 7910 that it would keep the rpm about the same with an 8 pin and full skip on a 30" in hardwood, but I can't promise anything as I've never done it.

Latest posts

Back