Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen pto splitters with the screw. Matter of fact the shop I work at just made 4 screws for a guy building them. Personally I think it would be great on dry straight grain woods but a pain on stringy stuff. Plus danger just isn’t my middle name anymore! Lol

Limited slip, I believe 355s, you hit the gas, you best know how to counter steer.
My 69 340 Swinger had 355's, great street gears. A friends wife had a 70 340 Swinger with 391's and they kept the car tached out a bit too much for me. But, then I drove my 67 R/T with a 426 Street Wedge in it with 489's on the street, just not real far:), Joe.

What is the end purpose of splitting those logs smaller? If it's to make them fit on a processor, it's ground so much dirt into the bark, it would ruin the processor saw. It does a good job, but unless they are dropping them into a big tub grinder to make mulch, I don't get it? If they explained I missed it, my youtube is stuck on mute, Joe.

I buy those 3 pth unicorns and sticklers at real cheap at auctions once in awhile. They almost always have the bent arm on them. Guys use them until they get hurt and then they sell them. I put new arms and them and resell them, I usually give the guy the old bent arm as a reminder to be careful with it.
The screw ones on the skid steers are sometimes used for big outdoor boilers that burn long wood.

My 69 340 Swinger had 355's, great street gears. A friends wife had a 70 340 Swinger with 391's and they kept the car tached out a bit too much for me. But, then I drove my 67 R/T with a 426 Street Wedge in it with 489's on the street, just not real far:), Joe.

My 68 Factory 428 CJ Mustang had the 4:30 drag pac option, but I was never a fan of those gears for the street. Put 3:50s in the 427 with a small block (wide ratio) 4 speed and it worked out much better. 1st was like a close ratio with 4:11s.

Got it home and took a pic. A little welding and a couple of hoses and quick connects and almost free logging winch. I got the 8k lb hyd winch in some tradeing and the little 4ft scrape was free. Winch has almost new rope, but I dont know how long it is. Ony drawback is the winch rope is power feed on and off. No free spooling, but cant beat the price.logging winch.jpg

Thanks nighthunter. I'm not sure if black and hawthorn are the same or closely related. I think sloes are from blackthorn and haws are hawthorn, but both make good gin liqueur. Anyway, sounds like I should get to the pile tomorrow if I can and grab some
probably so, 1 thing I do know is that when you get picked with the thorns, it hurts like hell, we call both hawthorn and blackthorn the same thing over here

No cutting today but I did go around and pick up two loads from the stuff I cut at the farm on Wednesday. Some of it is dry enough to burn right away but most is only half dry and could use a year in the shed. Trailer is 7 x 4.5 ft. Load one

6th Apr 1.jpg

Load 2

6th Apr 2.jpg

There's stihl some more there from the other day, maybe another cube or so. Should be back on the saws again tomorrow.

:)

I got out yesterday and cut a load for the Bt-50 nearly killed me litterally but I managed to survive and it sure burns great as I got 15hrs out of one piece in the Lopi 380. No idea what it is but there are 2 different types but she burns well.

vgEsKkKl.jpg

xiZJ9YPl.jpg

No cutting today but I did go around and pick up two loads from the stuff I cut at the farm on Wednesday. Some of it is dry enough to burn right away but most is only half dry and could use a year in the shed. Trailer is 7 x 4.5 ft. Load one

View attachment 644586

Load 2

View attachment 644587

There's stihl some more there from the other day, maybe another cube or so. Should be back on the saws again tomorrow.

:)

What is it cowboy? looks similar to some of the stuff I cut yesterday.

Latest posts

Back