Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some of that bleeding maple spruce right there, very rare lol.
It is nice wood for the shoulder season, or to mix with something that overcoals on very cold days.
Steve said it's garbage wood :lol:. Shoulder season and overcoal are foreign language to me. I just put wood in the stove.

I been wanting to, and now that I know who has my glasses I just might have to lol.
Have you made up you mind on a quad yet, I liked that Rincon, there a sweet ridding machine very smooth like a husky :rock:(sorry guys :laugh:)
I think I changed my mind. I want a dualsport. If I can figure out a way to pull the wagon with a bike I would have a street legal off road work machine. I cant afford a dualsport, a quad, and a street bike. (on top of the Harley)

What's that rule again? Something like 'he who dies with the most rods, wins'? Can we just declare you the winner and all go home? I'm trying to work out a system to keep the quantity of rods I take with me on the yak to...wait for it...one. It's a work in progress. Can't seem to get it below two.
Sorry Bro, when we are trolling for Stripers on the Chesapeake we run 15 lines on planer boards, and have a couple pre rigged extras in case of a break off, and that's just the light gear for inshore!

What's that rule again? Something like 'he who dies with the most rods, wins'? Can we just declare you the winner and all go home? I'm trying to work out a system to keep the quantity of rods I take with me on the yak to...wait for it...one. It's a work in progress. Can't seem to get it below two.

LOL! It's an addiction. I started building rods about 15 years ago as something to do in the winter. After the 1st 50 I figured out what I was doing. I have zero idea how many I have but guessing a few hundred. I can't get down to under 3 on my yak. I carry 14 in my bass boat. 4 on the deck and 10 in the locker.

I hate retying and I'm goofy about baits on certain action rods.

That was a test, to see who was paying attention, there is also something orange on the workbench over the trash can. I think I came up with 20 or 21 total.
I look at Craigslist ads all day, I'm always looking for buried/hidden treasures and usually bring extra cash if I see something that's shinny lol.

I look at Craigslist ads all day, I'm always looking for buried/hidden treasures and usually bring extra cash if I see something that's shinny lol.
Pretty much do the same thing. Some newbie on the chainsaw forum asked how and where I find so many nice old saws. I look at farm auction pictures. They very seldom list saws cause they only go for a couple bucks, but all farmers have them, and they never throw stuff away. Piled under a workbench or in the corner of a shed, there they are.

OUT OF CONTROL CAD!!!!

So, my brother brings two of his saws over yesterday and asks me to sharpen the chains on both of them. I tell him "no problem". Then he says "and I want to get both of them ported".

I looked at him and said "I thought you were real happy with they way they both were running".

He says, "yea, I was, till I ran your saws"!!!

Unlike Oak, which are pretty hard across the board, the Maple family seems to have a very wide range of hardness.

IMO, Black (Rock) Maple, Sugar Maple and Norway Maple are at the hard end, and Boxelder and Sycamore are on the soft end, with Red Maple and Silver Maple being some where in the middle. I will tell you my small saws look VERY IMPRESSIVE when cutting Silver Maple!

IMO, Norway is the toughest to split.

We've had a sad week. The Cowcat started picking at her food a couple of days last week then abruptly stopped eating and drinking on Thursday. Blood tests showed some elevation in liver enzymes which may or may not have been significant. A couple of teeth were bad also, may have been the reason for not wanting to eat. By review on Saturday she was very quiet and her gums and inside her ears were jaundiced. Liver cancer. The vet gave her a shot of dexamethasone which perked her up and alleviated most of her pain but it was only a patch-up. We had five good days with her at home where she was almost her normal self. We spoiled her with tuna, roast chicken and thin slices of raw steak and lots of love and affection. It also gave us the opportunity to explain to the kids what was happening in advance and they have learned some important lessons about life. The vet came around yesterday and we put her down peacefully on the kitchen bench.

IMG_3409.JPG

:heart:

Attachments

• IMG_3208.JPG
    IMG_3208.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 13
Today was a typical early March 50-50 day. 50 degrees and 50 MPH winds, and it's almost May. Yesterday was beautiful, today I was going to mow my lawn, built a fire and played on the computer most of the day. My friend is stressing he's going to have to sell his mother's house. She's been in assisted living and the rent has just about broken even. Their long term renter retired and moved. They have been trying to get the place rented but it's going slow. Getting ready for the worse he sold his 67 Malibu, now he has his 63 Merc Convertible for sale. He's been giving me anything I want out of the garage, so after a day of yard work Sunday, we loaded up his big drill press with a cast iron base. I spent a couple hours getting it off my trailer this morning. With just me and my bad knees it proved a challenge, but I won.

We've had a sad week. The Cowcat started picking at her food a couple of days last week then abruptly stopped eating and drinking on Thursday. Blood tests showed some elevation in liver enzymes which may or may not have been significant. A couple of teeth were bad also, may have been the reason for not wanting to eat. By review on Saturday she was very quiet and her gums and inside her ears were jaundiced. Liver cancer. The vet gave her a shot of dexamethasone which perked her up and alleviated most of her pain but it was only a patch-up. We had five good days with her at home where she was almost her normal self. We spoiled her with tuna, roast chicken and thin slices of raw steak and lots of love and affection. It also gave us the opportunity to explain to the kids what was happening in advance and they have learned some important lessons about life. The vet came around yesterday and we put her down peacefully on the kitchen bench.

View attachment 647471

:heart:
Sorry to hear, she's a pretty cowcat. We lost 3 of our dogs in the last year and a half. Two were old and we were waiting, but one was only 4. She went from 97 pounds down to 64 pounds in about 3 months. Spent thousands in tests and they never found out what it was.

Latest posts

Back