Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrewUth , I would sweeten up the deal of the "You deliver ..." by adding , "Call me on the closer stuff to see if I can help you on that when time allows" to show that keen interest in wood so he doesn't forget you , but , always know when to say no and drive home empty handed .

I run premium in all my small engines because it’s non ethanol here and I don’t have to worry about draining tanks and adding stabilizer etc if I don’t run it for a while. That being said, I have noticed that some 2 strokes seem to like 87 octane and actually run stronger. I first noticed this with a 25hp Evinrude. I do like premium fuel however and now run a 35hp to make up the difference! Lol. Seriously though, it was quite noticeable.

I run premium in all my small engines because it’s non ethanol here and I don’t have to worry about draining tanks and adding stabilizer etc if I don’t run it for a while. That being said, I have noticed that some 2 strokes seem to like 87 octane and actually run stronger. I first noticed this with a 25hp Evinrude. I do like premium fuel however and now run a 35hp to make up the difference! Lol. Seriously though, it was quite noticeable.
That's funny :lol:.
It does seem that sometimes certain changes do not follow the excepted rules.

operator error!!!!!:buttkick::laughing:
Do you remember my old avatar, I had it for quite some time.
It was the directions for stihl flippys, there were so many guys who were having issues with them popping off and pissing oil down their leg.
One of the guys on my buddies concrete crew had that happen with the gas cap when he was cutting rebar, lets say it was an experience to remember :blob2::sucks:. Never seen a husky flippy cap fall out :rock:.

I like flippy caps!

What version of the 362 are you comparing with the 560? Pre M Tron, M-Tron Ver I, or Ver II???
Which ones Mike, I like both husky and stihl as compared with the earlier ones.

Not sure which version he has.
From what I've seen of them if your a husky guy you'll like the husky and if your a stihl guy the stihl, either one will get the job don just fine, and all the better if you have the latest greatest of either.

So fellas and fellesses (come to think of it, do we have any fellesses in the scrounge thread?), who thinks it will be faster to mill the ugly and big logs into 5x5 posts and run them all through Kermit (Bilke S3) than ring/buck it and split it on the SS? Just a little stir-crazy, rainy day pondering. I'll test it one of these days but wondering what the scrounger brains trust think.

Yea,

I have no interest in being a professional tree service- I never did really, but I know what you are saying of course. I looked into it briefly, but its just not something I'm into. I generally only did it for the wood.

After all this consideration (thanks everyone for all of your input!!) I called him and let him know that I just did not have the time or resources to dedicate to picking it up...but if he had someone to move it, I had a place for him to drop it off. So he responded that he would try and get someone to deliver it to me. :havingarest:
Good decision. I got to the show late. When I started hanging out on the scrounging forum it was a giant conflict of interest on my part. Coming from 4 generations of tree care, I knew that a lot of guys were going past just scrounging. In many states you have to be licensed to take down trees. So I did a search for Tree Expert License in NJ. Your friend's insurance would not cover you because he is not licensed to do tree work, and that is way out of the parameters of what they are charging him to cover. I'm not going to tell guys not to do some side work, making a few bucks (I don't do hard work free), getting some wood. I'm just saying be aware of the fact that if "YOU F UP", you maybe be paying for it the rest of your life in law suits. If a stupid customer walks into a falling tree, and it's a pro doing the job, there will be some assumption that the pro knew what he was doing, and it was a stupid customer. He will still have OSHA up his butt, and fines, maybe more. If the same thing happens to you, it will be assumed you are a hack, that shouldn't be doing that work, and it was your fault, and you are liable. Just think what it would be like to have half of your paycheck garnered for the rest of your life for some free wood.

So fellas and fellesses (come to think of it, do we have any fellesses in the scrounge thread?), who thinks it will be faster to mill the ugly and big logs into 5x5 posts and run them all through Kermit (Bilke S3) than ring/buck it and split it on the SS? Just a little stir-crazy, rainy day pondering. I'll test it one of these days but wondering what the scrounger brains trust think.
I often roll big knotty blocks out of the way, and at the end of the year, when I'm cleaning up the splitting area, noodle them. But, I'm using a 100CC saw with a 24" bar and .404 chain. I think it is just as fast to noodle them all the way down to firewood, just makes a giant pile of noodles that have to be cleaned up.

I often roll big knotty blocks out of the way, and at the end of the year, when I'm cleaning up the splitting area, noodle them. But, I'm using a 100CC saw with a 24" bar and .404 chain. I think it is just as fast to noodle them all the way down to firewood, just makes a giant pile of noodles that have to be cleaned up.
I've done that a few times. No 100cc saws yet but the Dolmar is one step closer. Those big piles of noodles make great fire starters.

I have a “to be noodled” pile near my splitter. The noodles get saved for chicken bedding. One thing I have noticed is the noodled pieces stack flatter and subsequently don’t dry as well so I try and sprinkle them amongst the splits.

I have a “to be noodled” pile near my splitter. The noodles get saved for chicken bedding. One thing I have noticed is the noodled pieces stack flatter and subsequently don’t dry as well so I try and sprinkle them amongst the splits.
I spread them out too. I've had some that got stacked flat to flat and had mildew so bad they stuck together.

I run high test in my saws because Stihl says it will make the saw run cooler … = last longer.

I believe the reports that some saws run better on low test. It burns faster than Hi Test, so at the revolutions a saw is turning it would make sense.

Octane is simply the temp at which a fuel will ignite. It can provide more power in a high compression engine, but it may not in a chainsaw. In a chainsaw, burn time will matter.

I typically always run 91 in all my small equip. It's the only fuel in this state you can get that is supposed to be ethanol free. Every time I fill my cans I always add Star tron to it. I usually have to 6 gallon cans around and fill my 1.5 gallon saw can from that. I'm usually always running about 40-1 in that can as well. I've cleaned too many carbs in my lifetime and would rather spend time doing something like drinking beer.

Like others, I use premium fuel as it's mainly ethanol free, all regular is E10, here, no exception. Don't think the saw notices any different.
What people don't understand about gasoline is.....87 octane will produce more power.....higher octane gas as it goes up in numbers actually burns slower....so in your higher compression engines...higher octane means slower burns creating less detonation....

Back