Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita order cancelled. I'm going for the 365xt with a 20" b+c for £565, amazon has oregon 72dl 3/8 x 1.5mm full chisel square file (until i first sharpen it) for a mere £13.11, under half the price at the local dealers. oddly husky chain is more...and i thought it was rebranded oregon. anyway, £13 for oregon feels good when stihl 20" loops are twice that.
Good choice. You will be happy with the 365xt. It’s more than enough tool for the job.

any tips on removing tight clutches? I've stopped the piston with some 6mm static accessory rope (prussik rope) shoved in the cylinder, and got a 19mm box spanner on the hex of the clutch spider. its left hand thread i read in the service manual so i'm trying to turn clockwise. doubt this clutch has ever been off....its stuck firm. I'm left it to soak with some wd40. tips welcome

When your 18v impact driver is too ickle it helps to have befriended the semi retired car mechanic that lives 10 doors up the street. I wouldn't have bothered him on a Sunday....but i looked out and he was laying under the back of a mercedes sprinter van....i could see the compressor and rattle gun next to him....we soon found the long 18mm socket and

IMG_20180805_192753.jpg

the red rope worked great as a piston stop

London Neil: Your file needs to be much deeper in the gullet to get the right hook. I try to keep 10% of the file above the top of the tooth. Your last photo looks like you have maybe 40% of the file above the tooth.

I agree. Odd really as i had been using the 2in1 so the depth is set. As I said above I think i had the flat file in bacwards so it wasn't cuting the rakers, hence the round file was being lifted by rakers that were too tall touching the backwards flat file. It wa noticing the cutters looking wrong that made me go free hand and i was dong the Buckin' get the gullet....propbably need to go harder. that bad tooth is worse than most. i think i may have missed it, it looks pretty poor doesn't it. the others look i bit better i hope you agree, although i still think i should have gone deeper. however, now i think i have the flat file in the right way around, and i've taken the rakers down free hand, the 2in1 has more chance of working ....hopefully

Which saw are you working on again?

Its the 038 Super. The one I bought last year. I bought it cheap sort of expecting to need to fix lots of problems...a learner saw....but then with little girl #2 arriving last August I found i had no time. I fixed the immediate problem it had, a destroyed spark plug thread and sealing surface, and got it running but back in the spring it had a wandering idle which i was told meant an air leak. it also had a tendency to spray fuel over my fingers as i squeezed the trigger to restart it...I concluded knackered carb and took a short cut and bought a farmetec bing carb for about £6. Suspecting the AV mounts to be past it I was guessing the intake boot had ether ripped as the saw vibrated excessively, or had also perished...farmetc replacement ordered for £1.50 these had sat around for months but with my fiancee away at her parents with the 2 girls i got to play yesterday.....I had to take the motor off the handle to get to the boot....then i got carried away. I decided to give it a good clean, lots of pics, and hopefully it'll sell a bit better on ebay once rebuilt. however once at the boot it is clearly fine, so...seals are the next obvious leak. I considered reassembling and being an utter git, and just selling as is, passing the problem on, but i just can't do that....too honest....so farmertec flywheel puller, new av mount, pair of seals, a fuel hose, a tank vent hose, and a bit of pipe for the vent on the bing carb that goes to the filter (tillotson carb didn't have it), and a carb kit for the tillotson, I've spent another tenner. Hopefully after all this the saw will run well....and I'll probably think, 'why have i just bought a brand new husky?' but no... I love playing with engines, I'm a chartered engineer, but don't have the time. With shipping from china and then my girls keeping daddy busy it;ll be months before i get to rebuild this (and remembering where everything goes will be a challenge!). I'm drawing a line here though...bearings are staying put....unless they are visually utterly goosed ...even then my want will be to just fit the seals, bolt it together, tune, video it starting and running nicely, stick it on ebay and get most of my sunk cash back.

on the plus side...its turning out to be the learner i wanted.....but please, i've decided that right now i don't need to learn parting the case, driving out dead bearings, sticing new ones in the fridge, and cases in the oven, driving new bearings in, pressing the shaft back in and so on.....I really don't need to learn that. I want to get my giggles running a bigish husky instead.

This may be a silly question, Neil, but do you have the right sized 2-in-1 file holder and files for the ickle saw?

very valid question, I'd had to think myself as it does look like it might have been too large.

4mm version whcih stihl say here https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produ...-of-chainsaws/21733-1632/2-in-1-EasyFile.aspx
is for 3/8 P chain

and here https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produ...nd-Grounds-Maintenance/254057-110/MS-180.aspx
they say that the ms180 has Picco micro 3, 3/8 P x 0.05"/1.3mm chain

I have a 5.2mm version of the 2in1 too, for the big saw and proper chain (3/8 x 0.063/1.6mm) I promise I've never picked the wrong one up...I always pick up both, check..big file for big saw, small file for small saw....but i agree the chain looks like its been filed with too large a file.

You're on your way to bigger and better things now that you have your file on the right way. It should cut pretty slick!

lets hope so, at least I'm learning....its been a weekend of learning more about my saws :rolleyes:

Not perfect! really! if they all look like that i'd be very happy. I'm glad i started filing, even though my brother's FIL grinds my chains for free. and the 2in1 makes it very straightforward. i think its worked well that i've stuck largely to one chain as it has drifted off over time i think, so I've picked it up before all my chains are way off. also lucky that its one of my cheap chains not a stihl. Need to test it out...and with the 038 now a box of bits, it will get buried in some bigger wood next week, we shall see if it cuts a bit better.
Everyone butchers a chain or two when they first try filing. 20180805_165617.jpg hears an ugly one that's been sitting in a box for a few years. I should try to fix it just to see if I can.

what do I buy btw, tank vent hose?
I have one word for you IPL, well it's kinda of a word o_O.
all ready to sell on ebay and get half my money back o_O
:laughing: That's funny stuff Neil :happy:.
Makita order cancelled. I'm going for the 365xt with a 20" b+c for £565, amazon has oregon 72dl 3/8 x 1.5mm full chisel square file (until i first sharpen it) for a mere £13.11, under half the price at the local dealers. oddly husky chain is more...and i thought it was rebranded oregon. anyway, £13 for oregon feels good when stihl 20" loops are twice that.
Sounds like a great deal, bummer you couldn't get the dolmar as they are great saws, but it seems things work out for a reason:cheers:.
I prefer to use the 050 chain as I can swap it onto other saws and vise versa, if you run 058 then you may be limiting your options for chains(at least you do here in the states).
You can round file the square chains once they dull, you will just loose some of the speed mike likes, but they will be easier to file.
Your chain looks like the gullet is high and there is very little hook. Billy knows a thing or two, but he's stuck his foot in his mouth with the "get the gullet" phrase as he's been messing with a chain that he's using a small file on and he has not been "getting the gullet" even though he say he is in the videos o_O, but it's still cutting well. He still needs to "get the gullet" just as you do with a square chain which is another process from sharpening the tooth.
Back to your chain, I think now that you know a bit more about what your looking at/ what it needs you can run the 2-1 over it again and pay close attention to what it's doing and if it's rocking on the raker. The 2-1 is a great tool and helps a lot, another thing is having the chain held well which is what some of the jigs do a great job at, whether you are hand filing or using the 2-1 having the chain held well or being able to compensate for it moving are crucial to getting a great edge.

Did 3/4 cord of aspen from the never ending pile this morning, stacked that, and finished up cleanup at my friend’s cabin. I’m pretty tired from working in the heat but will probably play around with saws a bit more in a bit. Picked up a depth gauge tool and file as well as an Oregon file and guide.

Edit: it’s sprinkling again, will this **** ever stop??!!

1C3F9C55-EABC-4F83-B581-E351252198F5.jpeg

Back