Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a die grinder and grinding stones or an Emory paper whip to deburr all edges then I spray the heck out of it with brake cleaner then blow out with the air compressor at 100 lb. I do the brake cleaner air compressor routine 3 times. I use the brake cleaner for a fluid to carry off particles plus if it’s a used muffler it breaks down any deposits that may have trapped any metal particles.
I use brake clean to clean all of my chainsaw stuff. It cuts the oily crud fast and blows stuff away under pressure. I always check Advanced Auto, they have it on sale all the time, buy one, get one free. So, I buy it by the case. Just don't do what I did with my Super EZ. It was so cruddy I used 4 cans cleaning it. It's the one I got at a farm auction for $3. I had it all clean, the fins all clean, sitting on the wet rags. Decided to see if it had spark, pulled the plug, put the recoil back on and cranked it over. Yep had spark! the pile of wet rags blew up in my hand. Tried to smother out the fire wrapping it in a big bath towel. Didn't work, had to run in the laundry room and stick it under the spigot of the wash tub. Glad my wife wasn't home.

That's a lot of holes in that 5020 muff, what size? 3/8"? You should be keepiing to no more then around 80% of the exhaust port area, generally a little back pressure is good.
(Says the man that read they somewhere but had never actually done it)
They are small, I think the next size bit over 1/4.

From what I’ve read, 80 percent is what is needed to flow optimally. However the location of holes and size of holes also impact flow. IE the guys with race says have a big hole straight out the other side but those saws are loud as hell. If you have two smaller ports out of the side with deflectors it will still flow great but not deafen everyone in the county. If you have a chance to take a look at one done by Carl (miller mod saws) you’ll see what I mean.

Here’s how much 3 holes fill the exhaust port. With 12 holes I’d say I’m somewhere in the 90 percent range. The factory outlet is tiny and probably won’t flow much with the new holes. But again this is an experiment with a saw that I have almost zero invested into and worst case I have a saw that’s too loud. ;)

I patterned this after a muffler mod that a local friend did on his 044. You definitely know he’s around when he fires it up but it’s not obnoxious either.

2E2A9A32-922F-4910-86A9-5264A7348587.jpeg

I use brake clean to clean all of my chainsaw stuff. It cuts the oily crud fast and blows stuff away under pressure. I always check Advanced Auto, they have it on sale all the time, buy one, get one free. So, I buy it by the case. Just don't do what I did with my Super EZ. It was so cruddy I used 4 cans cleaning it. It's the one I got at a farm auction for $3. I had it all clean, the fins all clean, sitting on the wet rags. Decided to see if it had spark, pulled the plug, put the recoil back on and cranked it over. Yep had spark! the pile of wet rags blew up in my hand. Tried to smother out the fire wrapping it in a big bath towel. Didn't work, had to run in the laundry room and stick it under the spigot of the wash tub. Glad my wife wasn't home.
I’ve been there. Tried to clean up an old camp stove in my parents basement. Soon about 16 square feet of workbench was on fire. Lol.

Gotta give you ax boys credit but I’ld rather pull the rope, hear the noise then pull the lever to split.
I didn't want to load it in the truck unload split throw back on the truck then unload onto the racks. Lots less time moving wood if I split on site, load truck, unload on racks when I get home. I have a hydro just not worth hauling to the job for the small amount of wood.

I didn't want to load it in the truck unload split throw back on the truck then unload onto the racks. Lots less time moving wood if I split on site, load truck, unload on racks when I get home. I have a hydro just not worth hauling to the job for the small amount of wood.
Got ya. Extra work for me but I haul everything home and store it for future splitting. This will get filled, tarped then split for 2020. I have 15 cords split and stacked now.

Ran the new muffler mods on the Poulans.

The 5020 is louder but not obnoxious or crackly at all. After tuning it runs real nice, to the point that I wouldn’t hesitate to take it along with me even though I own ported saws. Dropping this saw down to a 16” bar with good chain and muffler mod really turns it into a good machine IMO.

OTOH, the 4218 (without spark arrestor/baffle installed) is loud, crackly, and still somewhat meh in performance. I’ve use three of these saws and one of them (my aunts saw that we burned up doing those big trees) ran really strong and the other two were very much meh. Don’t know what to say about that.

Ran the new muffler mods on the Poulans.

The 5020 is louder but not obnoxious or crackly at all. After tuning it runs real nice, to the point that I wouldn’t hesitate to take it along with me even though I own ported saws. Dropping this saw down to a 16” bar with good chain and muffler mod really turns it into a good machine IMO.

OTOH, the 4218 (without spark arrestor/baffle installed) is loud, crackly, and still somewhat meh in performance. I’ve use three of these saws and one of them (my aunts saw that we burned up doing those big trees) ran really strong and the other two were very much meh. Don’t know what to say about that.
Some saws were built on Monday, some on Wednesday, avoid those Monday saws, especially the day after the Super Bowl.

Back