Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just have to have the right sub 50cc saw, the makita 4300 does a great job as does the ms241 and then the ms201/200.
@farmer steve wanted to know if your measuring those rounds :innocent: :lol:.
People measure there rounds :eek:. I just cut wood that stuff will all fit in my stove so it's good enough.

svk, I use my tractor to load everything in the bush. At home I stack logs in 3 different piles. Milling logs which are bigger 14" and up, character logs go in a pile. From 6" to 14" go in another pile. The 6" and smaller go in another pile which I sometimes cut up with my buzz saw or just cut them all at 48" to put into my OWB. I don't use any of this small stuff for 16" wood to sell, I only sell split wood, no "round branches". I have 2 log trailers to set up in the bush to save me sorting logs, one for small stuff and 1 for bigger stuff. Anything smaller than 4" or shorter than 13'4 gets trimmed and left in the bush. Sometimes for fun I'll take my Steiner and wagons and hand load the small stuff. That doesn't happen much, it will rot in time and is good for the bush. Old pic.
2014-05-18 13_14_17.jpg

Oh it’s not that bad....:innocent:View attachment 668750View attachment 668753 View attachment 668754 Bars on front of blower are 12’
Nate...
Are those pictures taken near Valley county?? I was raised on a little farm between Emit & Middleton. My uncle & grandfather had a gypo logging operation out of Horseshoe Bend. I spent every second I could up there with them. Lots of good country up that way, loved the Yellow Pine, Big Creek area. Left Idaho in 1980 & only been back a few times since. Way too many people now. The winters did suck!!!

Something between 16-18 inch is what I shoot for. My FIL has been a machinist for 35 years he wants everything at 17. He doesnt mind cause he hasn't had to cut, split, or stack anything for about 3 years now.
Is that 17" +/- 0.005", or is it 16-3/4 + a little bit?

Nate...
Are those pictures taken near Valley county?? I was raised on a little farm between Emit & Middleton. My uncle & grandfather had a gypo logging operation out of Horseshoe Bend. I spent every second I could up there with them. Lots of good country up that way, loved the Yellow Pine, Big Creek area. Left Idaho in 1980 & only been back a few times since. Way too many people now. The winters did suck!!!
Wow small world. That’s pretty cool. Yes sir valley county, blower and pickup next to snow pics are on road to snow bank mt radar site (west mt) about 5 or 6 miles outside of cascade where I live. Other pic is at top of tamarack ski hill (west mt area) between cascade and McCall. Going to yellow pine for work tomorrow. My firewood load pic earlier is at landmark between cascade and yellow pine.D4EFE5C7-347A-4231-B001-FCB503EEA6A5.jpeg266F219D-85B7-4143-9694-C4CB9297BF0E.jpegProfile Gap between Yellow Pine and Big Creek last year. Quite the road, takes 2 hours to go 24 miles.FE9AE177-87E2-4ADE-B7F8-BD1C487E0675.jpegBy Big Creek lodgeB6D89F3F-B653-4BC4-B949-827D0CC8F683.jpegBig Creek air strip.

Middleton, horseshoe bend, Boise are all pretty much one now:nofunny:. Pretty crazy.

Wow small world. That’s pretty cool. Yes sir valley county, blower and pickup next to snow pics are on road to snow bank mt radar site (west mt) about 5 or 6 miles outside of cascade where I live. Other pic is at top of tamarack ski hill (west mt area) between cascade and McCall. Going to yellow pine for work tomorrow. My firewood load pic earlier is at landmark between cascade and yellow pine.View attachment 668843View attachment 668844Profile Gap between Yellow Pine and Big Creek last year. Quite the road, takes 2 hours to go 24 miles.View attachment 668846By Big Creek lodgeView attachment 668847Big Creek air strip.
Loved that area. Thanks for sharing your pictures...brings back some really great memories!!! Gotta get back up there sometime and catch some trout outta Johnson creek. Your right - small world.

11.5m was the most snow I've seen on my favourite ski field here. Was a record season with some insanely big snow dumps. When it takes a day to dig your way out, and another 1.5 days to dig the rope tows out, it's pretty special. Some of the best times of my life so far were the weeks I wasted on that ski field.

This was back in 2012 at my old house most snow in a season here. Beat the state record back to the 1800s over 4ft snowed every night. That is unheard of around here.
ee721b22a0919488335ba5214a9dc50f.jpg

I wood like to but the market is keeping me busy. gonna be a hot one today so you guys make sure you have plenty of water. have fun and be safe.
Hoping to be cutting by 8 and done before the heat kicks up. Have a guy from work stopping for a truck load when we get off I need stuff gone so I can get to the rest of it easier. The maple is going to him and a friend as I'm being a wood snob at this spot and waiting for the oak and locust before I take any home.

Hoping to be cutting by 8 and done before the heat kicks up. Have a guy from work stopping for a truck load when we get off I need stuff gone so I can get to the rest of it easier. The maple is going to him and a friend as I'm being a wood snob at this spot and waiting for the oak and locust before I take any home.

i didn't think you were listening. :innocent: :rock2:

Latest posts

Back