Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really pushing it with a 32 on a 395 :laugh:. I may still have a 404x36 here if you need one :D.
I here being busy, how many kids do you have:crazy2:.
Sounds like a nice weekend, hope you get lots done.
I would have to change the sprocket to 404. Then buy 404/36 chains. No kids, pets or wifey person so I have more time than most. I had to modify a door so I could heat better with the little stove while the big stove is under construction. Normally dont use fans for circulation but the little s244 struggles with 3,000sq/ft

Attachments

• 20181017_185013.jpg
    20181017_185013.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Stove burning. nice enough in the day at 18C and sunny, but slightly chilly at night, going down to about 6C. i came in from work and my 3yo said 'daddy i'm cold' ...can't have that! lit up as much to dry the house as take the chill....was 70% rh, stove been lit 2.5 hours and pulled the living room down to 58% already....better. 2.5C warmer is better too.

It was 25 last night and warmed up to 60 today.
I haven't ran a saw in a couple weeks but put two tanks through the 4218 cutting trails on the family land. There are some good deer trails out there so once I give up around my cabin (there are way too many wolves up there) I will head down to the land and hopefully fill my tag. Or maybe just start out there.
Do the wolves stay away from the sound of chainsaws or no fear? We have black bear, coyotes, and the rare mountain lion sighting but im usually the biggest and hairiest thing I run across in the woods. (big enough to run across myself, apparently)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Nice load Joe, black locust :sweet:.
What do you keep in the ammo can, is it secured to the fender like that.
Yep, has 4 bolts going through the fender. Keep my logging chains, snatch blocks, clevis's in it. I think it's a 20 MM can. It's a good bit bigger than a 50 Cal. I have one big logging chain that is 25' long and weighs 100 pounds, the rest are normal chain for pulling vehicles out. I use 17,000 pound bull line to skid logs. I have a 150 foot roll of bull line and 150 foot roll of 7,000 pound climbing line in the back seat of the truck. If someone slides off the road I can usually have them back on the pavement before the cops and tow trucks get there.

Do the wolves stay away from the sound of chainsaws or no fear? We have black bear, coyotes, and the rare mountain lion sighting but im usually the biggest and hairiest thing I run across in the woods. (big enough to run across myself, apparently)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Yes, everything starts clear. And the wolves up by my cabin are almost completely nocturnal. I’ve never seen one in 32 years of hunting there but have had them howl within 200 yards at night.

Although I did have a buck walk within 20 yards of my generator once.

Got my new hiking/hunting loop completed tonight at the family land. Still need to pitch brush on the last 300 yards of trail. In all I burned 5 tanks of fuel in two evenings of cutting. Found two good spots to put up ground blinds along well used game trails.

Several natural clearings on the land like this.
6E9BFDD2-DEED-44E0-98D5-89C0F64CFA1D.jpeg

I’ve had this happen a couple times in my cutting career. Chain was tight too so not a function of excess slack.
AF5706B7-A627-4C2C-8742-50A353928DAC.jpeg

Partially caved in wolf or coyote den.
5A126724-B1E4-4813-A275-1836B3CADCD8.jpeg

Got my new hiking/hunting loop completed tonight at the family land. Still need to pitch brush on the last 300 yards of trail. In all I burned 5 tanks of fuel in two evenings of cutting. Found two good spots to put up ground blinds along well used game trails.

View attachment 680672

I’ve had this happen a couple times in my cutting career. Chain was tight too so not a function of excess slack.
View attachment 680673

View attachment 680674
Never have I seen that before, almost seems impossible. I do think the other side of the chain will cut better.

Since your getting ready for deer season I thought you might like this. My buddy raises deer. Last bad storm we had lightning hit a tree and it fell across his high fence, the buck got tangled up in the wire, panicked and broke its neck. The buck was 6 1/2.

Attachments

• D612C701-28AD-4EB8-B916-91C721FADDA4.jpeg
    D612C701-28AD-4EB8-B916-91C721FADDA4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Centrifugal force is amazing. Even a correctly tensioned loop of chain, spinning at 60 mph, will lift away from the guide bar. It is why our guide bars have rounded 'bellies' instead of being flat on the top and bottom. Twigs can get between the bar and chain and lift and throw the chain just like a tire iron. Guys who only cut big wood don't get this.

Philbert

Hasn't been any scrounging for me for the last little bit , the wife had surgery early September so I've been playing the "Good" husband :(

I got a call 3 weeks ago from a landscaper the does some work for Paul the developer .
He wanted to know if I wanted some wood if I cut it , he tells me that a customer wanted a back yard down to the lake .
Since I know the area and there are some strict rules and guidelines that will get a fella in **** if you don't follow them and it's in an area of spiteful residents I declined .
2 weeks ago the landscaper let me know that he got it cut right down to the lake .
The next thing he says is "I might be in trouble , I see that ByLaw Enforcement has taped a notice to the homeowners door ."
I'm glad I declined :)
I told the wife I'm going to play the "Bad" husband on Sunday , I've got to go cut a clearing so a garage can get built .
I hope I can remember how to run a saw it's been so long lol

View attachment 680672

View attachment 680673

View attachment 680674

Magic or witchcraft...no other explanation

Centrifugal force is amazing. Even a correctly tensioned loop of chain, spinning at 60 mph, will lift away from the guide bar. It is why our guide bars have rounded 'bellies' instead of being flat on the top and bottom. Twigs can get between the bar and chain and lift and throw the chain just like a tire iron. Guys who only cut big wood don't get this.

Philbert
I posted that pic on Facebook and one of my friends (a woman) replied that the photo was obviously staged. LOL

I posted that pic on Facebook and one of my friends (a woman) replied that the photo was obviously staged. LOL
I know some guys who stick something in there to hold their chains stable when they file.

Tell you friend that you set you saw down in some tall grass, and when you came back, a year later, the twig had just grown in there . . . (then offer to sell her a bridge in Brooklyn).

Philbert

Latest posts

Back