Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one would be good.
flat,800x800,075,f.u3.jpg

I was noodling some of the 39" Pin Oak from last week. The slabs were popping on the splitter, the blade would sink in about 1", and it would just pop apart. So I figured I'd try the new, old Plumb. After i got the block noodled I flipped it up flat and grabbed the Plumb and hit the stop watch. It took almost 4 minutes to the second to crank out that little pile. Wish it all split like that before the noodling. I wouldn't need the splitter.
aov6q7h.jpg

uaujeiu.jpg

7XyCgI1.jpg

0abxW6k.jpg

I was noodling some of the 39" Pin Oak from last week. The slabs were popping on the splitter, the blade would sink in about 1", and it would just pop apart. So I figured I'd try the new, old Plumb. After i got the block noodled I flipped it up flat and grabbed the Plumb and hit the stop watch. It took almost 4 minutes to the second to crank out that little pile. Wish it all split like that before the noodling. I wouldn't need the splitter.
aov6q7h.jpg

uaujeiu.jpg

7XyCgI1.jpg

0abxW6k.jpg
And that good looking axe is a ?

Ron

JustJeff, I was past your place today and noticed that you need some time stacking. I went to Rockford to pick up a conveyor that I bought. Turns out that the conveyor was in Flesherton so a bit more of a drive. The conveyor was also 10' longer than I was expecting. She was a long slow ride home, trailer was 20' and conveyor was 37' long. No cops on the road today. It's the same conveyor as this and is used for shingles. It was real cheap but now I have to find a use for it. FBR-DenverTruck.jpg
FBR-DenverTruck.jpg

JustJeff, I was past your place today and noticed that you need some time stacking. I went to Rockford to pick up a conveyor that I bought. Turns out that the conveyor was in Flesherton so a bit more of a drive. The conveyor was also 10' longer than I was expecting. She was a long slow ride home, trailer was 20' and conveyor was 37' long. No cops on the road today. It's the same conveyor as this and is used for shingles. It was real cheap but now I have to find a use for it. View attachment 682439
View attachment 682439
A 15-20 foot conveyor would be sweet for what I do. I did stack some tonight but need a couple more nice days and some more skids. Glad you made it home unscathed.

We’ll stay in safe waters with this question. A couple times a year I get really big trees given to me so I want to get a bigger bar for one of my 7900. The bar won’t be used all the time, just on the big donations, usually 3’- 4’ dia oak, occasional maple. Should I get a 28” or 32” bar and what chain. Probably going to Nate’s shop to bounce it off him and make my purchase there but would like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Back