Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of us w/o the fancy tractors, etc. And, when I go on the road, it goes in the trailer, a much smoother ride, and my handle really helps getting it in and out. Also, makes it much easier for 2 people to share the load if another is available.

A solid piece of 2.5" X 2.5" Black Oak bolted and glued (w/PL Premium) and the ends rounded with a draw knife. Every splitter should have one!

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_171835335.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171835335.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20181006_171819542.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171819542.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20181006_171802229.jpg
    IMG_20181006_171802229.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 33
I don't think that is Elm, at least not like any Elm around here. Looks like Pig Nut (aka Smooth Bark) Hickory to me. I think Elm leaves usually have teeth on the edge.

You know after I posted that I kept digging in the tree ID book and I think you are right, pignut hickory does seem to match the closest.

View attachment 683282 The bucket on are tractor is drilled so we can mount a ball. Makes it easy to haul a splitter or trailer around the property.

I put a ball on both the hitch and front end of my rider mower. Most of the time the splitter is being pushed into position - much easier to push it than back it into position.

Well , I played the "Good Husband" this morning so I was allowed to play the "Bad Husband" this afternoon lol
I had to get the septic field done , a 100' x 30' swath .
It was a nice and sunny day but a little on the windy side so I started on the downwind end .

cFTCOaP.jpg

There's a lot of small and brush to clear
f1c9E4S.jpg

iRsO8ym.jpg

8pqFpDN.jpg

nhKQvGs.jpg

Hopefully the excavator operator can find my piles :)

You know after I posted that I kept digging in the tree ID book and I think you are right, pignut hickory does seem to match the closest.

The give away for me was the bark, look at the small piece on the lower left of your first picture. The only two trees I know that have markings like that are Pig Nut Hickory, and Norway Maple, and your pic of the leaves confirmed (in my mind) the Hickory.

Elm will have scalier bark, and serrated leaves (did I get that right this time?). I keep learning!

You sure keep that little saw busy!
Funny, just talking about them on the other channel :).
I just picked up another job for this fall, the 241(back up/sharp chain when I don't want to sharpen), 4300, 201cm rear handle and the ht101 will be the saws ran on that job.

@svk @James Miller and any other Fiskars fanatic. I did but that Fiskars splitting axe but since I was done splitting for the year I really haven’t played with it much. I split a couple dry rounds with it and seemed to work good. Stopped at my buddy’s place to show him and whacked a few green 14”-16” maple rounds, not near as good. Do you guys use the Fiskars on green wood? Lots of our wood has lots of branches, how do you work around those? I plan on using it this winter on some big oak rounds that we didn’t noodle and couldn’t get the truck/trailer to because of wet ground. Thanks.
Yes it seems to work great on green wood for me because of the speed you can get. Of course on sugar maple you often need a heaver tool.

I use a c clamp to hold a trailer hitch on the bucket of my little tractor. Works great for moving splitters, boat trailer etc. a bit more control than using the chain.

Thanks.
Do you have a picture. I just brought a raker grinder over to a buddies last night, he's a retired millwright and could whip something up in a flash. I look forward to the day I have a welder here, as well as a barn to put it in lol.
I've thought about that before as I have a couple Reese style receivers in the basement as well as a draw bar or two down there.
For the smaller stuff I usually use the mower/quad but anything with a heavier tongue weight I'll use the tractor, that's normally my larger trailers(16' steel, 20' aluminum) as the quad/mower do great with everything up to the 4x8 trailer.
Have a great day.
i use one like this for the splitter and moving trailers around with the tractor. https://www.palletforks.com/three-point-attachments/trailer-moving-attachments.html
tdrhd.jpg

i use one like this for the splitter and moving trailers around with the tractor. https://www.palletforks.com/three-point-attachments/trailer-moving-attachments.html
tdrhd.jpg
That's on sale now for $80, that's cheap :surprised3:.
I have everything here to make something that would be just as effective. I'd also want to add some hooks onto it.
Do you ever use the d-ring on it.
Since my buddy is working on the raker grinder maybe I will bring the parts over and cut and weld it all up, might even get a welding lesson out of the deal :).
Are you happy with the height of that receiver.

That's on sale now for $80, that's cheap :surprised3:.
I have everything here to make something that would be just as effective. I'd also want to add some hooks onto it.
Do you ever use the d-ring on it.
Since my buddy is working on the raker grinder maybe I will bring the parts over and cut and weld it all up, might even get a welding lesson out of the deal :).
Are you happy with the height of that receiver.
Hooked to the 3 pt arms so what ever height you need. have to use the toplink to level it out. thought about hooks but didn't get there yet. my buddy got that for me for hauling grain to the mill last year.

Cody, I just noticed in your signature

Stihl MS170 - WT215 Carb & MM; 12" B/C - BIL's

How do you/your BIL like it with the mod? I've largely thought there's so little to gain from modding my 180 that unless it needed a new carb anyway I'd leave it, but interested to hear what you think.

Back