Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics of the Ash, Oak with harware, and some more Oak all scrounged. Never seem more metal in tree's than these Oak's. And everything you can imaging, including a clevis.

I had a big old tree blow over up at the farm late this summer. high winds and gungie inside trunk... more than once interior metal dulled the contracted crew's saw's pace. mostly old wire from yrs ago it had been used as a corner post...

this stuff was completely hidden with the trunk. I had never seen it before...

P1030083.JPG

even more....

P1030092.JPG

Been Mia too. Visiting dad, helping mum, then this week, dads funeral. there's a lot more helping mum to do obvs. some of that involves wood as i am primary supplier of seasoned wood and kindling. i've moved 2m3 there now since august. 2/3 of acube has gone up in smoke so far. dad used to be the stove operator but mum has learnt that art well already. need to get her to run it for heat not just ambience.....i keep saying, ' mum, burn my wood, not my inheritance.' :D
Been off for a couple of days. Very sorry to hear about your dad Neil.

Been Mia too. Visiting dad, helping mum, then this week, dads funeral. there's a lot more helping mum to do obvs. some of that involves wood as i am primary supplier of seasoned wood and kindling. i've moved 2m3 there now since august. 2/3 of acube has gone up in smoke so far. dad used to be the stove operator but mum has learnt that art well already. need to get her to run it for heat not just ambience.....i keep saying, ' mum, burn my wood, not my inheritance.' :D
My mind has been MIA, sorry to hear about your Dad. You and your family will be in our prayers.

I did put some time on the 011 with this chain. I like it so seems like I need to adjust the carb a bit to get the most out of it. I ran it in white and red oak that's been down a long time. Up to 8" or so and very dirty, iced over bark ECT...

Chipper doesn't really answer your sharpening and reprofiling question. But compared to 91 with shark fins it seems like an upgrade to me and I liked the 91. I think any 40-45cc saw would do very well with this.
how to screenshot on windows
Cool, thanks for the update.
Sorry to hear about your day, hope he heals quickly.

Was bidding on some stuff at an online auction and noticed these plastic lids off collapsible totes. I thought they might work good to lay on the ground and dump my splits onto off the conveyor. They are 40"x 48" and about 2 1/2" high, fairly heavy plastic. I bought about 150 of them because I'm crazy but figured I could always burn them in my OWB if they don't work out. I also have some 4 wheeler trails in the bush that are pretty mushy and these might work good enough for bridges there too. I also bought about 75 bags or covers for these totes. They will fit over my wooden firewood crates that I already have. Honest honey it's a win win.
View attachment 687210 View attachment 687212 View attachment 687214
Wife says, "that's it" :laugh:.
Most of us have seen it all Neil. Railroad ties,telephone poles,tires and whatnot. Couple cord of plastic pallets I didn't even blink an eye.:laughing:
Fixed :rolleyes: :baba:.

Sorry to hear about your dad Neil.
Just had the funeral for my FIL Monday, tough stuff for sure.

I'm sorry for your loss Neil

I've been told that my next door scrounge is time limited - take what you can use then Jack with his excavator is going to clean up the rest. The tree guys took one more peppermint down during the week so I figured I had better get to work.

2nd Dec 2.jpg

2nd Dec 3.jpg

This peppermint wasn't quite as easy splitting as the last and there was some punk in the mid section of the trunk, but I was able to halve them all with the Fiskars with a few hits at worst.

2nd Dec 4.jpg

2nd Dec 5.jpg

Without far to drive home, I figured I could load the trailer a bit higher.

2nd Dec 6.jpg

Might have been slightly overloaded with the mudflaps dragging and all but nothing broke so I called it a win.

2nd Dec 7.jpg

The trailer has 15 inch sides and holds 1.1 cubic metres when filled just level so I'm figuring there's approaching 2 cubes or over half a cord in there. Here's a bonus pic of a little guy who was watching me split up some previously cut rounds yesterday.

2nd Dec 1.jpg

:)

Neil, I guess I just presume you know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is never easy, even if you know it is coming, and even if you know it is time.

Been over 10 years ago that my Dad passed, but I still often hear his words of advice when I am working of something or facing a dilemma.

Among other things, he was a WW II Vet that was in the reserves when it broke out, so he was in from the beginning till the end and saw way too much. Only he and one other guy in his unit returned in the end. One of the things that he would say, that I now find myself saying, is "Life is for the living".

All the Best to you and your family.

Both hips done back about 2000. I, too, was up and about the next day and the cane disappeared in a week...although I did use it later when out scouting scrounges. Doc tells me "slow down!". Nope, lack of physical activity at my age results in unrecoverable losses and it is only a few steps from the easy chair to the grave.

I just came in from manually splitting roudns of willow - I have about 5 cords to do. It was going too fast using the hydraulic splitter. I found that the Fiskar's Isocore splitting maul is a very effective splitting tool but it sure do wear a guy out in a hurry - not fun swinging a 10lb maul.

I think u would give my cous' a run for his money! lol... any idea why the L hip is hurting, bothering you?...

Neil, I guess I just presume you know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It is never easy, even if you know it is coming, and even if you know it is time.Been over 10 years ago that my Dad passed, but I still often hear his words of advice when I am working of something or facing a dilemma.Among other things, he was a WW II Vet that was in the reserves when it broke out, so he was in from the beginning till the end and saw way too much. Only he and one other guy in his unit returned in the end. One of the things that he would say, that I now find myself saying, is "Life is for the living".All the Best to you and your family.

MM - good thoughts. always tough to loose a loved on. but as u share... the memories can be comforting. I find that as I get older... things about my dad really impress me... him as an individual, him as a man... things I never could have fathomed in my more younger times...

I've been told that my next door scrounge is time limited - take what you can use then Jack with his excavator is going to clean up the rest. The tree guys took one more peppermint down during the week so I figured I had better get to work.

View attachment 687644

View attachment 687645

This peppermint wasn't quite as easy splitting as the last and there was some punk in the mid section of the trunk, but I was able to halve them all with the Fiskars with a few hits at worst.

View attachment 687646

View attachment 687647

Without far to drive home, I figured I could load the trailer a bit higher.

View attachment 687648

Might have been slightly overloaded with the mudflaps dragging and all but nothing broke so I called it a win.

View attachment 687649

The trailer has 15 inch sides and holds 1.1 cubic metres when filled just level so I'm figuring there's approaching 2 cubes or over half a cord in there. Here's a bonus pic of a little guy who was watching me split up some previously cut rounds yesterday.

View attachment 687650

:)

good pix! yes, those tires do suggest that the trailer is working hard for you... ;)

Back