Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y’all?!?!?! You live in southern NZ? Mud hole here, 53 and rain end of the week, can’t get in anywhere, I have 5 different huge oaks down I’ve been given. :angry:
My first car when I graduated in 74 was a 65 Chevy Impala SS with a 283. That year Chevy had trouble with 327 castings so they sent them out with 283. Merry Christmas to all, great bunch of guys here.

Response in reverse order:

My older brothers got all the hot rods, misbehaved and messed it up for us younger ones - 63 Impala SS 409 with every factory goody in the shed from 3 barrel to two 4s, factory cast headers, big heads, etc., usually set up with a single 4, Isky cam and Doug Thorley headers; coolest and loudest idling car that shook every window in the house - 66 Lemans Sprint with a transplanted 421 that would pull the front wheels off the ground in 1st, 2nd and 3rd; really fast but ate 12 bolts regularly. By the time I got my car no 4 speeds or big displacement were allowed. I was lucky to buy a 67 Chevelle with a small block, power glide and bench seat. Was a Michigan car so ultimately a real rust bucket.

Can’t post photos from this device, so here is a post of mine from the MAC thread. I am looking forward to this tree. I expect more to come as soggy as the ground is here.

East Tennessee has turned to soup so no MAC action today. I did line up a Holiday treat for the old MACs. Red oak probably 3' in diameter 30' up to first branch then 8' of flare. Yummy. Ron

View attachment 692017

Ron

I have the saws, fuel and oil in the toolbox and ready to go. I welded a couple of light bunks in and bolted the stakes into the log trailer tonight as I finally got tired of them falling out when unloading logs. Just have to sneak out of the house early, start the tractor, hook on and head to the bush. I just realized tonight that my wife and I never discussed Christmas presents this year. I never ever get her anything but she usually does or gets herself something for Christmas. Had Christmas with the kids and grand kids yesterday so that's all done. Only makes sense to head to the bush early before the fireworks start.
20181224_191140.jpg

sixtonoffun, I have 2 log wagons like that. I separate my logs while loading in the bush so that it saves me time unloading and stacking at home. I put logs that need cut and split on that wagon and put limbs and small logs on the other wagon, they just get left in rounds and cut to 4' long for my OWB. I have a couple more wagon running gears that I put wooden racks on for various things. I usually buy them at auctions. And the hoist is for my son to play on. Was a good deal on Kijiji a couple of years ago. I'm looking for another one for outside so my wife can wash vehicles on it. The sled just got put in there, says he's working on it tomorrow the 6" of snow we just got has him keen. Was a mint machine until a farmer accidently backed over it with a tractor. Garage usually looks like this.
IMG_20180412_193241.jpg

The oldest car I've owned was a rodded 37 Cord 810, with an early Olds Rocket V8 with 6 Strombergs, 4 speed auto, and a Columbia 2 speed rear out of a 48 Lincoln. Wish I had pics of it.

oldest tin car I owned was a 1930 Model A Ford Roadster... and I still gotz it. :D

The first car I wanted to buy, when I was 16, was this Black 58 T Bird, but my Dad would not let me buy it. I can still see that car in my mind.

The first car I did buy was a 67 Mustang Fastback, 289 4 speed. Put Thrush Dual muffler exhaust on it and a 600 Holley and I was a bad boy! Used to pal around with my friend with his 69 Z-28 Camaro. The Camaro was faster than the Mustang, but he was pissed off I could out run him till 50 MPH. Those little 289s had lots of torque!

I'm currently on Mustang #10, and when the kids were growing up I had a couple of Thunderbirds (an 85 Turbo Coupe and a 92 Super Coupe).

Mustangs: 67 289 Fastback, 65 289 Fastback, 68 390 Fastback, 68 302 Fastback, 67 390 Fastback - Auto, 70 Boss 302 Body with 427 Ford Motor (I installed it), 68 428CJ Drag Pack 4:30 gears, 85 302 GT Hatch, 2000 4.6L GT Feature Car (Zinc Yellow, only 917 built), 2006 Mustang GT stroked to 4.9 L w/Eagle Cr, Rods, Pistons, Whipple Twin Screw SC, Steeda Suspension and Clutch and 9.5" Wheels, Griggs Racing Torque Arm and Adjustable Lower Control Arms and pumpkin cap, MGW Shifter, Steeda drilled and slotted front rotors and rear adjustable panhard bar. Nitto rubber all around (except in winter), NT-05 275 X 40 X 18 front NT-555 285 X 40X 18 rear.

A few months ago I test drove a Richard Petty edition Mustang that had a 6 digit list price and over 700 Hp. My car would kill it in the 1/4 mile, the Petty Mustang just would not hook, as soon as you breathed on it, the wheels cut loose. My G Tech says I've done the 1/4 mile twice at 12:48 on real street tires (no drag radials). I think it is faster now with the adjustable panhard bar, seems to hook a little better. Need to do some more testing. So tough to find a place where you will not get into trouble.

MM - I had been wondering how u came up with your handle... lol ;)

Never really had a fast car had some cool 4x4’s over the years and the fastest one is my current ecoboost f150. I haven’t had to live a life devoid of toys however. Here is my daughter piloting one of them. Green grass yesterday, 8” of snow today. Hope everyone has a safe, healthy and happy Christmas! View attachment 692362

fastest car I had... was the Rocket Roadster. '23 street T-Altered. u started it with a Multi-engine check list... 1800#s, ran a LS-6 454, 11:1, 625 lift cam, way too much duration, hot 850 Holley from The Carb shop modded for the engine specs, 2 1/4" intakes, 2 1/8th exhaust, big ported heads, owner made 2" header tubes, Vertx mag, 14# alum flywheel, 4-speed and 4:88's and slicks! on the street! license plates and an inspection sticker, too! :rolleyes: a widow maker! lift the wheels in any gear! full set of VDO jet cockpit series gauges... that ol rat would turn 7 G's and it was still pulling... most cars like that well, few like that... say a sbc T will only scare the passenger when stood on. the Rocket Roadster would additionally, scare the driver - namely 'me'! :p I always ran it capped up, thru tuneable muffs... dint have the b***s to unleash it all on the street, less that add'l torque break something top of 3rd gear... WOT! I built it myself! :) I respected it, it respected me... all of its 650 hp! ~

and a friend respected it, too. one ride and he wanted it! lol :laughing: but he waited over 20 years... and finally, he got to buy it! :yes:

that car was so fast... it would have hurt a dumba** in a :heart:beat! I respected it, and it stayed together. I didn't promote the car, but imo... it was in the leauges of those hot rods in America... that made a difference. I mean... when did u last see a T with a rat... running a 4-speed with swing pedals... on the street, running like the Fuel/Altered it was fashioned after? ;)

oh! - and on the back it had a genie Deist 14' red/white/blue dragster parachute... D-ring hooked up in the cockpit! :yes:

can u say dual West Bends, sprint go-kart with a license plate? lol

Never really had a fast car had some cool 4x4’s over the years and the fastest one is my current ecoboost f150. I haven’t had to live a life devoid of toys however. Here is my daughter piloting one of them. Green grass yesterday, 8” of snow today.
Hope everyone has a safe, healthy and happy Christmas!
View attachment 692362

what fun!

Response in reverse order:

My older brothers got all the hot rods, misbehaved and messed it up for us younger ones - 63 Impala SS 409 with every factory goody in the shed from 3 barrel to two 4s, factory cast headers, big heads, etc., usually set up with a single 4, Isky cam and Doug Thorley headers; coolest and loudest idling car that shook every window in the house - 66 Lemans Sprint with a transplanted 421 that would pull the front wheels off the ground in 1st, 2nd and 3rd; really fast but ate 12 bolts regularly. By the time I got my car no 4 speeds or big displacement were allowed. I was lucky to buy a 67 Chevelle with a small block, power glide and bench seat. Was a Michigan car so ultimately a real rust bucket.

Can’t post photos from this device, so here is a post of mine from the MAC thread. I am looking forward to this tree. I expect more to come as soggy as the ground is here. Ron

17 years old, classmate 17, early one Sunday morning... down Military Rd in Seattle, WA down S by the airport... just N of Hwy 99, in his 63 maroon Impala SS, black buckets, no sb!, 409 dual quad, 4-speed posi... WOT thru all 4 gears to close to top of 4th. WOW what a ride... :surprised3:

he saved his pennies, and he saved his dimes...
zimp.jpg

17 years old, classmate 17, early one Sunday morning... down Military Rd in Seattle, WA down S by the airport... just N of Hwy 99, in his 63 maroon Impala SS, black buckets, no sb!, 409 dual quad, 4-speed... WOT thru all 4 gears to close to top of 4th. WOW what a ride... :surprised3:

View attachment 692465

My brother’s car except I don’t think his interior was black. I want to say red, but I can’t remember. I must be getting old. I do remember him carrying a handful of push rods in the center console. It had the habit of bending them though the red line was only 5500 rpms or so. Ron

View attachment 692366 Got the fiskars out and worked up the the crab apple got 4 wheel barrel loads out of that small scrounge. View attachment 692368 No fancy beer here I'm a simpleton just :givebeer:.
I gotta tell ya, if you waved that yuengling in front of me right now I’d trade you one of my Super 1050s for it. Doc said I can’t have a beer till I finish the blood thinner study I signed up for. I figured what the heck, I’ve got to take them, might as well help them out. Today is day 20 since the surgery, 40 days to go.

Latest posts

Back