Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought of you lot this morning. Wondering how many of you are snowed in and dreaming of Spring.
This crossed my mind as I was admiring the view from my kayak, about to land my first of about a 1/2 dozen fish.
Here's a pic from this morning down here, for the Winter white-outers experiencing cabin fever up there:
View attachment 692713
I would take that white out. Friday is 58* and thunderstorms. Everything is so swampy now you can’t get in.

My son ditched on Christmas and went ice fishing. I think he was rebelling against his gf's family. Appearently they are a controlling lot. Screwed him out of a hunting date with his gal the week before. Oh to be young and perfect all the time!
Youth is wasted on the young.

Like to but the creeks and rivers are running high and I already put the boat and motor away for “winter”.
Can you earn reward points at home to redeem when the weather is more amenable to outdoor pursuits? I'm often in overdraft but occasionally all the moons are in alignment and I earn enough points for a leave pass off the plantation.

WoOT !!!

OpGTynh.jpg

But being a nice day I wasn't gonna let that stop me :)
I bucked that birch into 8' sections and will go haul it out with the tractor later .
Good stuff further up .

yAeBV7u.jpg

Then I headed over to a section of road that I hadn't been on before and walked a good bit taking inventory .
TTm9yoE.jpg

cAQ0YRi.jpg

hWnxESJ.jpg

HWPHd67.jpg

Found a bunch of dead standing and dead top maples that we'll have to go get over the winter :)
On the way home I spotted a broken top pine so ,,,
vLgk3Of.jpg

YZ4vn4B.jpg

1D7pqYc.jpg

YQ5XVkq.jpg

Stay warm my friends !

Making progress, Slowly, but making progress. Went with wife and dogs for over a 2 mile walk on the bike path, then came home and wheel barrowed and stacked some split Hickory.

Did not over stack the wheelbarrow like I normally do, but I did fill the 6 cube thing level to the top. And nothing hurts!!! :)

Let me clarify, nothing hurts when walking or sitting. I still hurt getting in/out of the car, or putting my socks on, but I seem to be able to do mild stuff pain free, which is a big improvement.

Today is a day over 4 weeks.

@cantoo Is that all borer killed ash? Also in your second pick what is that scaly tree on the .
Yes the ash all dead or dying. And Mike is right that is a cherry. There are quite a few in the bush but most are forked about 20' or so up. There is one that is 23" diameter and 30' to the 1st branch and straight as an arrow sitting there waiting for my saw bandmill.

Changed oil in the snowblower prepping for the big storm. Then after putting up those cherry limbs I went to town to get gas for the tractor, snowblower ECT.. Just in case!

Needed some hydraulic oil so stopped at the most loved/hated box store. Figured I could get some Chile fixins and oil. OMFG! You would think the storm of the century was coming.

Positive note the gas station had the cheap cigarellos I like. Gas was $2.00 I almost fainted.

What kind of kayak are you using?
A locally made cheapie. We have some great fishing kayak makers in NZ but I couldn't afford them so went with a smaller (3.6m) model from another NZ maker and have been really happy with how well made it is and now consider this manufacturer a great one too and this model is a bargain.

Maker is AR Moulding, brand is Phoenix, model is Hornet.

thisMorning.jpg

A locally made cheapie. We have some great fishing kayak makers in NZ but I couldn't afford them so went with a smaller (3.6m) model from another NZ maker and have been really happy with how well made it is and now consider this manufacturer a great one too and this model is a bargain.

Maker is AR Moulding, brand is Phoenix, model is Hornet.

View attachment 692763
61201543-CA3F-453B-876E-AE98369B5BBB.jpeg We are just getting in to kayaking. My daughter bought her own this summer with her own money from her first job. It’s called a Strider from Winner kayaks and they are made in China. A friend had one and I really liked it. Tracks really well for a 3m boat but handles well enough for river running as well. Comes with a couple rod holders. At $540 Canuck bucks it’s a bit more that the pelican cheapies and half the price or less than the big names. This one is what I got my wife for Christmas.

Back