Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I promised some old pics, hope these come out OK.

The first set of pics show the last deer my Uncle (who taught me to hunt) took, a spike, and the doe I got on the right. It was before I had a cabin built, we hunted from the car, around 1986. Then below is the First Buck I got with a Bow and arrow, a big guy in the early 1980 (the antler on the other side was broken off), and a Coyote I got in 97.

Moose River was in the early 1970s. I have a 348 Winchester Model 71 and a Puma Bowie Knife, my Uncle has a Mdl 95 in 30-40 Krag. My Aunt's Rifle (unfortunately not pictured) was a Model 95 done over by Griffin and Howe in 30-06.

My Blue 70 Boss with the 427 Ford Motor (my 68 302 in the background), and my Black 68 428 Drag Pack 4:30 gears. Would have been worth a fortune if I kept it. I've seen them go for over 1/2 mill (fully restored) on Barrett Jackson a few years back.

Attachments

• HuntingPicsMe+Hank.jpg
    HuntingPicsMe+Hank.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 39
  • MooseRiverPlainsAdirondacksEarly70s.jpg
    MooseRiverPlainsAdirondacksEarly70s.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Mustangs427+428Mid70s.jpg
    Mustangs427+428Mid70s.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 40
Did I see a VW Thing?
OK, I promised some old pics, hope these come out OK.

The first set of pics show the last deer my Uncle (who taught me to hunt) took, a spike, and the doe I got on the right. It was before I had a cabin built, we hunted from the car, around 1986. Then below is the First Buck I got with a Bow and arrow, a big guy in the early 1980 (the antler on the other side was broken off), and a Coyote I got in 97.

Moose River was in the early 1970s. I have a 348 Winchester Model 71 and a Puma Bowie Knife, my Uncle has a Mdl 95 in 30-40 Krag. My Aunt's Rifle (unfortunately not pictured) was a Model 95 done over by Griffin and Howe in 30-06.

My Blue 70 Boss with the 427 Ford Motor (my 68 302 in the background), and my Black 68 428 Drag Pack 4:30 gears. Would have been worth a fortune if I kept it. I've seen them go for over 1/2 mill (fully restored) on Barrett Jackson a few years back.

Welcome back Cowboy! How was the vacation (or do you say Holiday down there, like in England?)

Thanks Mike! We have holidays down here, like the poms. We had a week down on the beach then a few days 2000km north with Cowgirl's family.
Cowboy won’t be able to respond until he has at least 12 pics ready!:chainsaw::chop:

This is correct. I also had to read about 17 pages to catch up on what's been going on. Since you asked...

This is Marlo, a sleepy little coastal town at the mouth of the Snowy River. We mainly fished and swam in the estuary but also had a go at the surf beach as well.

29th Dec 16.jpg

Cowgirl was clearly bad luck, this afternoon fishing with her was the only time I went home fishless. Beautiful spot though.

29th Dec 15.jpg

The rule has always been "If you're going fishing and leaving me with the kids, well, you'd better make sure you catch dinner".

29th Dec 14.jpg

The flathead. The only fish smarter than man.

29th Dec 13.jpg

There were also lots of tailor about, mostly little fellas about 12 -14 inches. Small teeth but like razor blades and they're nasty psychotic b@stards. One bit the tail off my plastic but I then snagged it on the hook, pretty nifty I thought.

29th Dec 12.jpg

Generally I fished the mornings from about 5.30am. Flatties and tailor for lunch and dinner this day.

29th Dec 8.jpg

Tailor are easy to fillet and cook up really well in a little oil and garlic. Nom, nom, nom.

29th Dec 18.jpg

More to come... :)

Since we were there before the school holidays there were very few peanuts hooning around in boats so there was some great swimming and general horsing around with the Cowkids.

29th Dec 17.jpg

The Marlo pub overlooks the estuary and is a great spot to stop in after a swim.

29th Dec 9.jpg

The food's pretty good too.

29th Dec 7.jpg

Since you've all had to go without Cowboy posts full of pics for the last two weeks, here's a few more.

29th Dec 11.jpg

This was the biggest flatty of the trip, 60cm or 2ft. Oversize so I had to let her go, a pity to see a nice lunch swim away like that.

29th Dec 6.jpg

This is an estuary perch, normally found a bit further up the estuary amongst the snags. This one must have been lost and that was his second last mistake. EPs are delicious.

29th Dec 5.jpg

Here's a black bream with a size 10 for size reference. Bream pull really well, not quite as good on the table as flatties or EPs but coming home anyway.

29th Dec 3.jpg

Cowgirl doesn't like killing things or pulling their guts out so we have a good arrangement: I kill and clean (as needed), she fillets and cooks. Over to you, wifey.

29th Dec 2.jpg

My parents bought me a 9ft surf lure rod as a Christmas present so I gave it a run in the surf, looking for a few Australian Salmon (Car-Why's for the Kiwis). Previously I had caught a few juveniles but never an adult so I was keen to have a crack. I didn't have long as we were leaving that morning but did manage two, including this guy at a fraction under 5 pounds. They are torpedoes and fight like anything, certainly give you a bit of curry. They became fishcakes for 6.

29th Dec 1.jpg

Too bad now, holidays are over. Back to work on Monday and it's hot so cutting wood is not so attractive. But I will anyway.

:)

THAT is a sandwich! What’s in it?

Hmm, everything I think. Beef, bacon, beetroot, cheese, an egg, cucumber, lettuce, red onion, relish, aioli, maybe more. I think I ended up wearing a fair bit of it but it was good! Couple of beers to wash it down...perfect.

Trailer load of black walnut waiting for me at FIL's property - more that's not pictured also. His neighbor sold a few of the trunks and I'm left with the spoils. They cut and piled them and I'll probably use his tuck and trailer to bring them home. I guess all that's left is to burn them. My senior citizens are really working hard for me!20181228_141750.jpg

Lovely holiday snaps Cowboy. Every antipodean childhood should be filled with memories of Summer holidays on the beach, camp-fires, swimming, fishing, treks and adventures. Despite life's responsibilities, i say screw it - I still want to be able to do that stuff too.

If only Car-Ha-Why would grow to four times the size and stay just as prolific. Pound for pound, they must be one of the strongest fighters around.
Sadly, legal (>750mm, 29.5") kingfish, which are the logical target species progression for the yak fishing crusade, are considerably more elusive. Have only caught rats (undersized kingies) so far that got to live another day. But hopefully persistence pays off and this can be me one day:
kayakfishing-northland_800x500.jpg

Back