Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right or wrong I bought a new “firewood” saw for some of those really big down trees I get given to me. It’s the top one in the picture. New on shelf, 2015 build. Ships from Greece Monday morning. It’s the top one. Recommendations on a bar, 32”, 36”,?
Go 42 the 7900/7910 will pull the other two and save your back.

Am told we are getting your heatwave here starting the next few days now. Typical - you steal our pavs, phar lap, crowded house, and give us heatwaves and try to return Russell Crowe.

Happy Aus Day anyway.

Lol you are welcome. Just don’t give it back lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a call from my friend Harold's son Jesse today. Jesse recently purchased a house and needed a saw so he got one of the Asian 440 Big Bores I built and ported.

Jesse works for the NYS Highway Dept and runs various saws at work, but says none run like the one I built for him.

He was cutting some White Oak rounds with it, and he says he felt like he was in a cartoon, and every time he cut a round the saw looked up at him and said "Is that all ya got"!!!

I guess he likes it! Feels good to know the saw went to someone who appreciates it!

Good evening scroungers :hi:.
I finally got caught up after not getting alerts for the thread for quite a while.
When the site was acting up I couldn't get this thread to load so I avoided it and I stopped getting the alerts :badpc:.
Looks like you guys are surviving these cold/warm/cold blasts.
For those having trouble getting heat throughout the house, make sure you keep the humidity at a good level as the heat will transfer better.
Hope you are all doing well:chainsaw::chop::blob2:.

Petey’s keeping an eye on the fire on another Indiana cold night
39e44bb22fc07ea6c570077b9f5d0c8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not realize that the government shutdown would affect the weather: someone forgot to pay the heating bill for Minnesota this week . . . Philbert

that's for sure!!! tonite on the weather news... tv weather man had his map of US up... and up in Mn... calling for -61 WC factor next week, Tues I think he said... ouch! not even Richard Proenneke liked to outside when it got that cold, or felt like it... 33" thick ice, can you just imagine!!!! :oops:
.......................................................................................................................................................................... --------------------------------------------------
........................................................................................................................................................................... < ------- 33"

that's for sure!!! tonite on the weather news... tv weather man had his map of US up... and up in Mn... calling for -61 WC factor next week, Tues I think he said... ouch! not even Richard Proenneke liked to outside when it got that cold, or felt like it... 33" thick ice, can you just imagine!!!! :oops:
.......................................................................................................................................................................... --------------------------------------------------
........................................................................................................................................................................... < ------- 33"

I'm a few hours south of @svk and our real air temp is supposed to be -28 to -32. I'm guessing he'll be -40 to -45. Gonna be nasty. 33" of ice on the lake isn't that much! I had double extensions on my ice auger last year and it bottomed out a time or two. So over 4' of ice to get to fish. You could drive a sherman tank across the lake and not fall in.

I dont add humidity. My laundry dries faster when its like this. :D
I'm guessing it would dry just as fast with more humidity and it being 10degrees warmer throughout the house ;).
Whenever I run a wood stove there is a coffee pot on it to add some humidity! Helps the heat circulate and keeps the air from getting too dry.
I've got a large pot that's always on mine, the inside looks like it's ceramic coated because if the lime/calcium in our water. It taste great but it's pretty hard. I think I need a coffee pot on ours too just in case I need some coffee real quick :drinkingcoffee:, great idea Mike.

I'm a few hours south of @svk and our real air temp is supposed to be -28 to -32. I'm guessing he'll be -40 to -45. Gonna be nasty. 33" of ice on the lake isn't that much! I had double extensions on my ice auger last year and it bottomed out a time or two. So over 4' of ice to get to fish. You could drive a sherman tank across the lake and not fall in.
You gonna get the 359 out and cut a few sticks up:chainsaw:, kinda like a polar bear plunge sort of a thing :laugh:.

sorry, I meant 33" up at Twin Lakes, AK. where RP lived and built his log cabin. I am sure you know of his saga up there. well, 48" is amazing. sounds like u will have some bitter temps up there. do u have to use block heaters? even if in garage, etc?

Burned 4-5 gallon buckets of knots, shorts and crotches. All oak made some good btu's! Cleaned up some space in the wood shed win win!

I have a couple of gallon buckets, too... drop, splits and splinters from firewood splitting... I use all but the chaff... and that usually gets dumped into the compost bins...

Latest posts

Back