Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! Rangers are being reintroduced this year here in the US. The last plant that built them is about 6 miles from my house - site is being redeveloped for residential.

Only offered with 2.3L EcoBoost and Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission. Would take me a while to learn to shift with my left hand.

Philbert
Crap, I still need to get with you for those chains!

I quit the business group that brought me to the cities monthly, but will be down in the next few weeks anyhow.

If every stick I got was sugar, birch, and ash I would be a happy man. Dries in about 36 hours and burns well. Not much birch around here though. The borer is getting closer so I am sure we will have ash out the yinger soon.
Cant cut dead ash fast enough here. Not much sugar or red oak around here. Tons of silver maple though. Everybody has a silver maple in their yard here. Or five.

If every stick I got was sugar, birch, and ash I would be a happy man. Dries in about 36 hours and burns well. Not much birch around here though. The borer is getting closer so I am sure we will have ash out the yinger soon.
Some ash looks good here and others is totally infested. Soon as I see borer signs I cut it. Just like today.
20190219_090939.jpg

I hear the summers are fabulous! always or mostly... nice, dry air and cool. none of this 98f and humid, and a/c down here... ;)

I wish, we get in the 40's where I live and you definitely want an air con, some places in Aus get up around 55 deg and I certainly wouldn't want to live in any of those;) I love the snow when it flies but I certainly couldn't live in some of those places in the U.S. that have a mtr or more, that would do my head in I reckon.

I think I mentioned higher in the thread, the cold mornings are much more bearable when you get a 20-40 degree warm up during mid day....a couple weeks ago when we had a high of -22 and a low of -38, now that gets miserable in a hurry.

That's definitely stay inside and hunker down by the fire type weather to me:D

I'm in the easy part of the state. SVK, Jakers, Chucker those fellas are in a colder area than me. Usually 10-25 degree difference between us. Plus they usually get more snow. We were pretty snowless down where I am until the middle of January and now it looks we will have the snowiest February on record.

If I didn't have family and obligations up here I would be in a better climate. Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana. Plus the way the culture is turning in this state its starting to get me. You get within 50 miles of MSP and it is a sh!t show. Heck just had an opportunity to move to Rapid City, SD and couldn't take it. Climate there is almost a 180 from what we are because of how the rocky mountains effect the jet stream. When I am able I will more than likely leave this state or have a place in northern MN where the people are a little more friendly and have common sense but also have a shack in a southern climate as well.

She sounds like a place of extremes mate, we had huge amounts of snow last year down the Victorian Alps and NSW High Country, it will be interesting to see how this winter goes as we have also had snow falling already in those places and down in Tasmania (we've had snow fall here in Summer too so not completely unusual but not the norm either.

What's the story with the people/culture where you are?

I don't know how long one piece of any wood burns because I normally put at least 3-4 in at a time. When I'm burning coals I'll set a piece on top and leave the damper wide open, a nice chunk of hard maple will last an hr like that and then there will be nice coals left from it. Outside temperature will change the duration of a burn in my stove dramatically. On a warmer day(few degrees Celsius) I can leave the house in the morning around 5am with a good fire going and I will have lots of large coals at 5 that evening, when it's down below zero I may get 4-6 hrs before its at the same stage.

Yeah it's amazing how different things affect how wood burns, my mate put some white gum in his wood heater and it burned for 28hrs from memory which really is right off the rikter scale LOL most unusual to say the least most I get is around 8-10hrs with the pepper and stringy and can get up around 12hrs or more with box etc, just depends how you run the heater etc, personally Im not too worried about how long it burns for as I have access to good wood and I'm usually up at night so can toss another piece in if it's really needed.

What was wrong with it James?
I pulled the carb plate off and carb to check everything. The bolts seemed really loose carb and intake boot looked good. Put it back together and made sure the bolts were tight. It started right up and ran fine. Thinking maybe an air leak from the loose screws. Going to pick up a new plug tomorrow for good measure.

I don't know how you can live in a place like that, I don't mind a bit of snow but I'm lucky as it usually only lasts a day or so once it falls and we only usually have 3 or 4 falls a year and most of the time they are only 3-4" but occasionally we get 15" but not often. Nice to look at but don't want to have to live in it 24/7 if I can help it.:cheers:

How do you think we keep poisonous everything at bay and keep the Dropbears away ?
If it wasn't for the cold and snow the Brit's would have named this continent Australia first lol

Latest posts

Back