Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love all Locust, especially Black Locust. I set a piece aside in my garage to dry a bit. I cut some scales for a WWII vintage scout knife. It was a pre licensed knife, so the escutcheon just says Scout Knife, not BSA. It's a nice Camillus knife. the original escutcheon set on top of the scales. I plan on inlaying it. I also wanted to checker them, but a gun stock maker friend said he wouldn't try to checker Locust as a first attempt, wood is too hard. But the wood is free and my time is too so I may give it a try.

I found two of these in my wood pile. It's a juvenile Southern Black Widow. I checked and they do live in your neck of the woods. They might not suck all of the dead juice out of your body and dry out your skin and make a house out of it like some of those down under critters will, but they are still there.
ZwNXbJW.jpg
Sounds pretty awesome.
Bet that wood will sand up nice.
yep, It's nice here in England....30C is very hot, -5C very cold, and basically nothing native with more bite than a wasp.... that spider looks nasty....I'd run from that screaming like a girl
It's a spider, that's what God gave you fingers for, and if your not into that, that what a torch is for :ices_rofl:.
Just as I remembered it, glad I got something right today lol.
Black Birch is also missing from that BTU chart, lots of it around here and the BTU value is generally hirer than the other Birch wood.

Also, those weights must be dry wood, cause wet Red Oak is about as heavy as it gets!
Never burnt any birch, how does it smell. Most of it I've handled was light.
Red oak will get you/your back, I'm grateful I know how to noodle, thanks to the scrounge thread members :rock:.
I'm burning a few 3-4" rounds of dead black locust limb wood right now :blob2:.

Black Birch is also missing from that BTU chart, lots of it around here and the BTU value is generally hirer than the other Birch wood.

Also, those weights must be dry wood, cause wet Red Oak is about as heavy as it gets!

Agree. My usual haul is green willow (weighs very heavy) or Black Locust (also heavy. Green oak is much heavier than either of them.

Not by much. The beer fridge is set at 33* F. And I'm drinking Canadian beer!:cheers:
I keep a few IPA’s in the fridge at the hunting camp. Was up there the other day and the only thing not froze solid was the beer in the fridge. The gator aid was like a slushy, but it was in the fridge too. Every thing on the outside, froze solid.

Last night those few sticks of locust mixed with a few small ash splits the stove got a little warmer than I expected with it being warm out :blob2:.
My stove doesn't normally run this warm.
View attachment 728538

nothing worrying there, good to do that every few days and clear any moisture out the flue properly.

Last night those few sticks of locust mixed with a few small ash splits the stove got a little warmer than I expected with it being warm out :blob2:.
My stove doesn't normally run this warm.
View attachment 728538
Seen ares well over 700 once or twice that's a bit concerning.

Looks like burn season will never end here. Ran out of dry wood again and am hauling from the outside stacks. Wet, full of chips, bark, etc. Very messy to handle. Hauled oen load this morning, unloaded in the porch by standing each chunk on end and then opening the end door for the 24' long porch, somewhat of a weak wind tunnel in there now. Raining, drizzling going on all day with showers for the remainder of the week.

I TOLD myself to move some in there a few days ago when the weather had been dry for a few days!

nothing worrying there, good to do that every few days and clear any moisture out the flue properly.
We just got home from the inlaws in Ohio, I let it burn a little longer than I normally would have because the cap has some buildup on it(flakes from the pipe get stuck in there), I didn't think it would get that hot when it was warm outside with less draw and with less because of the cap, lots of surface area with small pieces though. I was still a bit surprised to see it get that hot an hr into the burn cycle, but your right, nothing to worry about.
Seen ours well over 700 once or twice that's a bit concerning.
I've forgot to shut it down or fallen asleep in front of it waiting for it to warm up so I could shut it down, when I looked at the temp I was a little concerned to see it at 750 :crazy2:.
If I have a round that's close to the house and green I'll grab that and toss it in quickly to help get the temp back down, it's not as scary as it was when I first got the stove, but it's not something I want to do on a normal basis.

Well,,,,
Big sky here today so best take advantage of it !!!

ZxGVELx.jpg

Went to the pit today to block up some of the scrounged up hardwood that we had been hauling there to get that stuff ready for next winter and the winter after that .
Looks like we've got 7" to 10" of snow on the way Monday night into Tuesday so I drug a load of spruce and tamarack for the week .

mP7vYdg.jpg

FRe9Jqw.jpg

Scrounge on my friends !!!

Well,,,,
Big sky here today so best take advantage of it !!!

ZxGVELx.jpg

Went to the pit today to block up some of the scrounged up hardwood that we had been hauling there to get that stuff ready for next winter and the winter after that .
Looks like we've got 7" to 10" of snow on the way Monday night into Tuesday so I drug a load of spruce and tamarack for the week .

mP7vYdg.jpg

FRe9Jqw.jpg

Scrounge on my friends !!!
Aw man it’s so nice there! Still looks like middle of Feb here.

Well , I did bring the tractor home this evening, I did mount the the plow blade, I have it pointed in the right direction ...
It's calling for 7" to 10" Monday night into Tuesday :(
But I was at the pit all afternoon in a T-shirt today :)
Nice haul.
Had to turn the AC on in the car when we got out of our church meeting, we hit 68 today, I left the house in a t-shirt.

Super photos as always Dan!

So who has quit burning for the season? Someone is out of dry wood and running he furnace...can't remember who....not sure but i guess that counts, anyone else stopped?

at 51.5 North, spring is being reluctant here in london so stove still going. Single stoving as I cracked the glass in the 2nd and haven't got round to fixing it quite yet as its just warm enough that one stove copes. I expect to be having more and more burn free days though now and probably stop completely in about 4 weeks.

Super photos as always Dan!

So who has quit burning for the season? Someone is out of dry wood and running he furnace...can't remember who....not sure but i guess that counts, anyone else stopped?

at 51.5 North, spring is being reluctant here in london so stove still going. Single stoving as I cracked the glass in the 2nd and haven't got round to fixing it quite yet as its just warm enough that one stove copes. I expect to be having more and more burn free days though now and probably stop completely in about 4 weeks.
Found out it actually hit 70 here today, no-one is saying anything about the house being cold yet so I'm not planning on a fire until real late or real early so it's nice in the morning. Low 30's Tues and wed so I'll be burning a bit more. I also have 2.5 bags of pellets left of the 5 we bought when we went to Canada for the sitter to use, that ended up being a warm weekend and my kids kept the fire going so they didn't use many. The pellet stove is nice to use in the shoulder because I can bring the house up to temp and shut it off without it continuing to put off heat, unlike the wood stove which has cast iron side covers that hold quite a bit of heat for a while and make it harder not to overheat it in here.
I'll probably make up a small batch of splits from my dry splits in the next couple days to make sure I'm ready either this spring or next fall, either way I figure it's a good idea to be prepared :yes:.

Back