Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately the state has Ben cutting all the trees down within 50 feet of the highways. They bring in this huge chipper pulled behind a peterbuilt and just chip it in the woods. I try and get a truck load every few days. Sometimes a cop will tell me to leave, sometimes not. Can't believe they just shoot it into dust.

They bring in this huge chipper pulled behind a peterbuilt and just chip it in the woods.

Depressing isn't it - it's all about legal liability and a tidy bowl world run by and for corporate interests. Chip it to avoid anyone hurting themselves and suing the county/state/province/whoever, and make sure everyone is beholden to the gas and electric grid so they can all be taxed, * monitored *, and enjoy their android Apps. o_O

No Free Sun for You! Why Arizona Wants to ‘Tax’ Solar Power
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/19/solar-energy-arizona-net-metering

Depressing isn't it - it's all about legal liability and a tidy bowl world run by and for corporate interests. Chip it to avoid anyone hurting themselves and suing the county/state/province/whoever, and make sure everyone is beholden to the gas and electric grid so they can all be taxed, * monitored *, and enjoy their android Apps. o_O

No Free Sun for You! Why Arizona Wants to ‘Tax’ Solar Power
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/19/solar-energy-arizona-net-metering

Yep that just about sums it up. I've been talked to twice by the same cop so I think I'm done with it for now. Even though there's about 300 cord felled just sitting there :confused:

Up by me there is lots of public and timber company owned land so anything laying on the ground is fair game. I could easily scavenge 20 cords plus per year within my normal driving with the pickup or a couple cords a day with an ATV and trailer. Granted most of that would be aspen but this is technically a "gift horse" situation. ;)

Within a quarter mile of my cabin there is easily 5 cords of blow down aspen that has been drying for three years now. If I didnt have a nice supply of "real" wood I would be all over that.

If I was to scavenge in a city area I would put up a craigslist add (or two with different wording) and be choosy in what jobs I would take.

You know Clint, if I had a Moose like yours, i would not complain about my age!!!! Honestly, My Uncle (since departed) purchased an old Saw Mill from and old guy (since departed) in the Catskills, to use as a hunting cabin. My Uncle asked him how he was able to run the sawmill by himself. He describe how he would cut down a tree, attach it to his horse, and on command the horse would drag the log to the sawmill, back up to unhook himself, and return to the guy to drag the next log. Now that was a horse!

The old guy was also a Water Witcher. The local well companies would hire him, but not on the books. My brother and I did not believe it really worked, so he put his forked stick in our hands, told us how to hold it, and when you went past were he said there was water, you knew it. There are things we just don't understand.

I believe in water witching, but I'd say the art is more or less dead as the people who learned the trade are either gone or very old now. Old women used to do something similar to predict the sex of a baby by watching the revolutions of a paperclip on a string over a woman's stomach.

I've also heard of the self-unhooking horse and have every reason to believe that as well.

So I finally get done with my last tax client tonight, and momentarily feel like a free man. Then I go to let the dog out, and can you believe it is Snowing!!! I've been wearing T-Shirts for a week, and now it is Snowing!

Will someone please contact Al Gore and ask him again how we can create a little more of that Global Warming!

Here's what I'm up against...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And we "almost" have the road cut back open, to the "next" woodlot, as of yesterdays cutting!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

YEAAA!!! lol

SR

I have managed to scrounge a little more than a cord this week so far , a little over half was allready cut , split and seasoned ; found it on CL and less than a mile from home the rest was from tree work in town.

Trying to stock up now since the plan is to install a wood furnace this summer to get ready for next season and certainly will need a bigger supply to keep it going than just the wood stove , I might even have a warm basement by doing so.

Back