Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went over to moms to cut a aspen that fell over this winter from the heavy snow and went across the fence. My brother found it when he was checking fence and told me it was an aspen so I figured the husky 550 should be plenty, when I got there I started thinking I should have brought a bigger saw2A0AB104-755D-4E6A-8E51-A0AD3950CE88.jpegPretty big aspen for this area, the 550 managed to get it done though90BDA957-3A3B-46B3-85C9-2A0073EEA55F.jpegB2CD432B-9731-4375-8FA1-E433C39C7510.jpeg One of the stems landed on a 6’ post and pushed it in the ground DE015939-3D92-4E78-AD52-E37B2855143F.jpegAfter that was able to get some of her wood split from last year1A64939B-8CFA-4AB2-AB88-40C5D90BA86C.jpeg

Went over to moms to cut a aspen that fell over this winter from the heavy snow and went across the fence. My brother found it when he was checking fence and told me it was an aspen so I figured the husky 550 should be plenty, when I got there I started thinking I should have brought a bigger sawView attachment 738487Pretty big aspen for this area, the 550 managed to get it done thoughView attachment 738488View attachment 738489 One of the stems landed on a 6’ post and pushed it in the ground View attachment 738493After that was able to get some of her wood split from last yearView attachment 738494
What's up Nate.
I was just thinking of that big aspen at Steves today when I saw a huge one that was part dead, looked just about like that one, huge :surprised3:.
Dang that's one bad husky :numberone:.
By the way what's that green stuff all over the ground :laugh:.

Scrounged up a little Pine today, for the outdoor fire pit.
e587591f1c0c33dd0eb37eebe36256bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's up Nate.
I was just thinking of that big aspen at Steves today when I saw a huge one that was part dead, looked just about like that one, huge :surprised3:.
Dang that's one bad husky :numberone:.
By the way what's that green stuff all over the ground :laugh:.
Hey Brett, yeah I was kinda bummed when I saw it, biggest one around here, kinda neat old tree.
Lol, little husky does pretty good, did a mild muffler mod, seemed to gain a little and off idle hesitation is almost gone, I really should get firm wear updated, I’ve heard that helps too. Nearest dealer is about 80 miles away though.
Nice to see some green, was white not too long ago.
What you been up to?

Hey Brett, yeah I was kinda bummed when I saw it, biggest one around here, kinda neat old tree.
Lol, little husky does pretty good, did a mild muffler mod, seemed to gain a little and off idle hesitation is almost gone, I really should get firm wear updated, I’ve heard that helps too. Nearest dealer is about 80 miles away though.
Nice to see some green, was white not too long ago.
What you been up to?
I'm not 100% on doing the updates, if my autotunes run well I leave them alone. I only had two that didn't run well, one was an early 550 that had a slight bog off idle, little blip of the throttle and it was fine; the other I adjusted the air purge and it was fine. Muffler mod makes a big difference on the 550/562, unfortunately if you over do it they get real loud :eek:.
It's been green here for a while now, the last tree to get its leaves are the locust, they are getting leaves right now.
Been working on the woodshed, should be getting the east side sided soon, I'm determined to have the shed done before my 60th birthday :laugh:.
The floors in the bays and an apron were poured last week and I got the grade on the front done yesterday(looks different than the pictures below), and I have most the skirt boards on it, just missing one section and then I will backfill it all a little more.
Shouldn't be long and it will be filled with scrounged wood :clap:.
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.07.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.07.41 PM.png

I'm not 100% on doing the updates, if my autotunes run well I leave them alone. I only had two that didn't run well, one was an early 550 that had a slight bog off idle, little blip of the throttle and it was fine; the other I adjusted the air purge and it was fine. Muffler mod makes a big difference on the 550/562, unfortunately if you over do it they get real loud :eek:.
It's been green here for a while now, the last tree to get its leaves are the locust, they are getting leaves right now.
Been working on the woodshed, should be getting the east side sided soon, I'm determined to have the shed done before my 60th birthday :laugh:.
The floors in the bays and an apron were poured last week and I got the grade on the front done yesterday(looks different than the pictures below), and I have most the skirt boards on it, just missing one section and then I will backfill it all a little more.
View attachment 738503 View attachment 738504
Yeah part of the reason I haven’t had it updated yet is my older 550 ran better than this one (and I don’t like going to the city:surprised3:) .
Been like Alaska around here this year, white one day green the next, happened pretty fast.
That’s a very nice woodshed! Should work well. Now you just gotta fill it:)

Went over to moms to cut a aspen that fell over this winter from the heavy snow and went across the fence. My brother found it when he was checking fence and told me it was an aspen so I figured the husky 550 should be plenty, when I got there I started thinking I should have brought a bigger sawView attachment 738487Pretty big aspen for this area, the 550 managed to get it done thoughView attachment 738488View attachment 738489 One of the stems landed on a 6’ post and pushed it in the ground View attachment 738493After that was able to get some of her wood split from last yearView attachment 738494
My 550XP is very light on the juice but when you get into big stuff it gets pretty thirsty.

View attachment 738503 View attachment 738504
That is a work of art Brett, very nice!

Yeah part of the reason I haven’t had it updated yet is my older 550 ran better than this one (and I don’t like going to the city:surprised3:) .
Been like Alaska around here this year, white one day green the next, happened pretty fast.
That’s a very nice woodshed! Should work well. Now you just gotta fill it:)
That stinks the other ran better. The 2016 I have now is a great runner, but I still enjoy my 346's even though with similar mods the 550 wins all categories except personal preference.
I don't blame you, if I can avoid the city I do too.
It changed quick here too and there was almost no mud season which is very odd, we've been making up for missing the rain the last week or so.
Swing by and you can help me fill it :cheers:.
My 550XP is very light on the juice but when you get into big stuff it gets pretty thirsty.
I haven't noticed that too much, they sip fuel compared to a standard carbed 50cc saw though in big or small wood.
That is a work of art Brett, very nice!
Thanks Steve, I like it a lot.
Would have been nice to pour the center bay too, but I want to keep saving for my big pole building and even if the cost of doing the center bay is a mere 1% of the big pole building I had to be wise and wait. The cost of materials needs to go down a bit, then I plan to pull the permit and start on it; some would say that will never happen, how close you think we are to it.

Latest posts

Back