Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a stand still. Tractor battery isn't taking a charge. Date is 7/09 so 10 years added water a couple times. Checked again all cells covered. Had charger on overnight not much hope its coming back. It started several times yesterday but had to jump it the last time.

Battery was $125 in 09 at John Deere. I know of cheaper but 10 years is hard to beat if they are the same quality today. Gonna give it another hour or so then maybe jump it. I just want to get the big end if that oak up the hill before it rains and shuts me down. But if it dies pulling hard there it will sit so... Murphy's Law and all we all know how this can go.

@Dahmer are you near cochranton PA? It's out above Pittsburgh theres a shop there called Warren diesel shop that has a good reputation for building upgraded 4r100s. Going to talk to them about a trans. If I go with them figure I'll just drive out and pick it up and maybe stop by if your close.
I know where it’s at, about 2 1/2 hours nne of me.

@Dahmer are you near cochranton PA? It's out above Pittsburgh theres a shop there called Warren diesel shop that has a good reputation for building upgraded 4r100s. Going to talk to them about a trans. If I go with them figure I'll just drive out and pick it up and maybe stop by if your close.
You up?

Got wings? Down to last sharp 3/8th 72dl 20" chain and it does. Never used this one before. Got it from a guy in a "sharpened bundle deal" should get me by.

IMO those chains work pretty darn well for safety chains. I hear they are very temperamental if the depth gauges aren't done properly though.

Perfect day yesterday, took 4 saws to work up a big willow, MS193T, MS362, MS441, Husky T435. Came home early with every one on the disabled list:

New 193 would not idle and runnin rich (I should have adjusted it myself bus since I was headed for dealer...), MS362 pinched badly and bar smoked hot enough I could smell chips smoke when I tried to use it after rescue, Husky top handle shut off switch died so had to choke to shut it off...which resulted in a flooded condition...which required 4-5 pulls to restart. That got old when doing it every minute or two . MS441 threw chain, my fault, resulting in destroying the rim sprocket and a bearing.

100 mile roundtrip to the dealer came home with a 100$ and a bit bill, new 20" chain, new 20" bar and the fixins' on the 362. Husky still needs to go to that dealer for the part (on order),

Other than the loss of a day, not all that bad though, I didn't get to unload the truck ...but then I'll have to do that tomorrow

Perfect day yesterday, took 4 saws to work up a big willow, MS193T, MS362, MS441, Husky T435. Came home early with every one on the disabled list:

New 193 would not idle and runnin rich (I should have adjusted it myself bus since I was headed for dealer...), MS362 pinched badly and bar smoked hot enough I could smell chips smoke when I tried to use it after rescue, Husky top handle shut off switch died so had to choke to shut it off...which resulted in a flooded condition...which required 4-5 pulls to restart. That got old when doing it every minute or two . MS441 threw chain, my fault, resulting in destroying the rim sprocket and a bearing.

100 mile roundtrip to the dealer came home with a 100$ and a bit bill, new 20" chain, new 20" bar and the fixins' on the 362. Husky still needs to go to that dealer for the part (on order),

Other than the loss of a day, not all that bad though, I didn't get to unload the truck ...but then I'll have to do that tomorrow
Just be glad that wasn’t a “good” day.

There's a funnel web spider in there. I think I'll just put it straight in the heater.

View attachment 745628

Isn't that a deadly spider? Saw some kid on a nature show in the ER room in some hospital due to a bite.

Got bit a few days ago by unseen spider. Woke 1am sat with uncontrollable shakes, by 5am felt like been run over by a bus. Didn't connect it to the bite BC no swelling or redness...until Sunday arvo. If not better in another day it's off to doc again. Never any probs like skin infections and now twice in three months.

Yikes hope you get better.

View attachment 745708 View attachment 745709 Got another half cord of the red oak stacked and still have this much left to stack so I’m happy, this from the power outage scrounge down the road that the guy pulled the trunk out with his backhoe and I gave him half the trunk. That white oak I’m working on will be way more.

Can't help but notice your chicken coop. Looks like there is still grass in there. Is it portable? Mine devour any greens and leave bare ground.

Had a new one today, baby voles that were nesting in a log. It had a soft core full of wet wood chips, couldn't decide why it was chips and not dust like ants leave. When it was split my wife saw the tiny baby voles. I had to " relocate" them to the woods.
I weighed up one of our processed meat chickens and it was 11 lbs. Still have 4 more to process later, might get a 13 lb bird out of them.

Kinda done with wood for a couple days. Wife and I are heading to the Ark Encounter in Kentucky for a few days. It took 3,300,000 board feet to build it and all the exterior wood came from New Zealand, you have a hand in this @KiwiBro? Its’s Radiata Pine.
Well I never thought I'd see the day someone built a full scale Noah's Ark out of our pine. I wonder how traditional the building techniques are. I mean that pine would need to be treated for starters.

However, it's typical of the clueless, short-sighted morons selling out future generations here to export most of our logs and lumber thus the majority of the value and jobs offshore. Their breathtakingly insouciant disregard for NZ's future lead many of them to plunge a further step down the value chain by selling the forests to foreigners too. Future generations have every right to spit on the graves of many in my generation of kiwis.

Tried the new winch out yesterday View attachment 745540it’s a handy little tool but I’m definitely going to need something bigger. Also going to need bigger batteries, one battery wouldn’t even last a full 30’ pull, and first battery only reached about 1/2 charge by the time second battery died. So went looking for something I didn’t have to winch. Found a nice red fir blow down few miles further up the roadView attachment 745541Most of it was on the up hill side of the road:). Sure nice to have ported saws here, still have good power at this elevation (7000’) View attachment 745542Starting to get warm here now (80*) thankful the humidity is low. Was loaded up by about noon so wasn’t too awful hot yetView attachment 745543Found a nice shady spot to take a nap afterwards and stay away from all the weekend traffic, noise, and people as long as possible.
I think you just confirmed what I already suspected. The drill winch might be a handy tool to have around, but battery life isnt going to get the job done if you have a lot of work to do.

IMO those chains work pretty darn well for safety chains. I hear they are very temperamental if the depth gauges aren't done properly though.
svk your spot on in this super dirty hardwood it did great.

Still have the big fuglys left to cut up.

closest bbva compass bank

Here is the wedges I saved from a big twisty oak last fall. I like it when nature provides!

If anyone was wondering yeah I stalled the old girl... Trying to pull the main trunk up. Made it part way! So I cut that Y and grabbed a side terminal battery and a couple bolts and vise grips! Made it work to finish the day pulled the last out!! Now it can rain all it wants!

Kinda done with wood for a couple days. Wife and I are heading to the Ark Encounter in Kentucky for a few days. It took 3,300,000 board feet to build it and all the exterior wood came from New Zealand, you have a hand in this @KiwiBro? Its’s Radiata Pine.

It’s an epic site! Close to me as I live in KY. That is a very good venture for the family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svk your spot on in this super dirty hardwood it did great.

Still have the big fuglys left to cut up.

closest bbva compass bank

Here is the wedges I saved from a big twisty oak last fall. I like it when nature provides!

If anyone was wondering yeah I stalled the old girl... Trying to pull the main trunk up. Made it part way! So I cut that Y and grabbed a side terminal battery and a couple bolts and vise grips! Made it work to finish the day pulled the last out!! Now it can rain all it wants!

Vise grips FTW :numberone:.

Latest posts

Back