Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The electric vehicles are coming. What I'm predicting is that electrical tax will go up one enough people are using them because of the lost revenue of road tax from fuel. And those who have solar and charge from home will have higher property tax. As far as electric chainsaws...it's just a matter of time. My son came home with a 60 volt reciprocating saw the other night. That thing is badazz!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The road freight lobby here is strong. A few years ago they were biartching about paying road user charges on diesel when the private EV fleet got to use the roads almost for nix. I have found it quite hilarious that the screaming banshees in that lobby are quiet these days...with 'lecky freight trucks just around the corner.

Whilst I agree that EV users need to pay their fair share, various road taxes applied to fuel over the decades here were only ever done so ostensibly for the exclusive use of our national roading costs. Over the years however, and this will be further exposed as they wrangle with how to tax EV's fairly, successive govts have raided the fuel taxes for far more than national roads. That genie has to come out of the bottle in the next few years and hopefully there's no putting it back.

I'd also like to see some heavy scrutiny on the road freight industry's contribution compared to how much the public fork out to build or maintain roads for the commercial road freight users. I have a suspicion the road freight industry here have never paid their fair share and if they were hit with the true direct costs of their use of the national road network, suddenly we'd have a collective epiphany that maybe we shouldn't have run our coastal network into the ground (or should that be sunk it) as it is, as it has always been, not just cheaper but greener as a freight backbone in our Island nation.

Well sorry to derail the electric thread but I didn’t have time to post this last weekend so I’ll try today :)
Went up to scrounge the rest of the red fir blow down, nice sun rise on the way out2581B9F1-8B93-4F42-A6F6-064653053986.jpeg What was left was only about 1/3 of a load. I knew where some more dead standing stuff was but it’s quite a ways from the road, at least it’s down hill to the road 101AB6A5-7ECE-4AD4-A4CD-4C709FE11C69.jpegI usually take my saw and gas jug and couple wedges up and cut what I think I’ll need for a load then shuttle everything down as I roll the blocks down to the road, usually comes out pretty close surprisingly, couple times I’ve had to go back up and cut a few more blocks, came out pretty close this time 468CD948-D254-4970-93F5-864A7093B593.jpegStill more left for laterAE2E9551-ED33-45F7-9499-2BBFD0FB0494.jpegDon't have to worry about anyone else cutting them that far from the road, lol.

Well sorry to derail the electric thread but I didn’t have time to post this last weekend so I’ll try today :)
Went up to scrounge the rest of the red fir blow down, nice sun rise on the way outView attachment 749136 What was left was only about 1/3 of a load. I knew where some more dead standing stuff was but it’s quite a ways from the road, at least it’s down hill to the road View attachment 749139I usually take my saw and gas jug and couple wedges up and cut what I think I’ll need for a load then shuttle everything down as I roll the blocks down to the road, usually comes out pretty close surprisingly, couple times I’ve had to go back up and cut a few more blocks, came out pretty close this time View attachment 749137Still more left for laterView attachment 749138Don't have to worry about anyone else cutting them that far from the road, lol.

Valley County seems to be a really beautiful place. Nice pics

Went up to scrounge the rest of the red fir blow down, nice sun rise on the way outView attachment 749136 What was left was only about 1/3 of a load. I knew where some more dead standing stuff was but it’s quite a ways from the road, at least it’s down hill to the road View attachment 749139I usually take my saw and gas jug and couple wedges up and cut what I think I’ll need for a load then shuttle everything down as I roll the blocks down to the road, usually comes out pretty close surprisingly, couple times I’ve had to go back up and cut a few more blocks, came out pretty close this time View attachment 749137Still more left for laterView attachment 749138Don't have to worry about anyone else cutting them that far from the road, lol.
Nate your pictures always make me homesick, keep em coming I always show them to the wife in hopes of stirring her interest in someday moving back to retire.

Great photos as always Nate.
Thanks Neil, stay cool over there, hope you have ac and something cool to drink.

Valley County seems to be a really beautiful place. Nice pics
Ssshhhh.. don’t say that out loud:surprised3:, already getting way too crowded here.
It is, I’m very thankful to be able to live here.

Nate your pictures always make me homesick, keep em coming I always show them to the wife in hopes of stirring her interest in someday moving back to retire.
I was hoping you guys weren’t getting tired of my pictures. I like for other people to see the things I do, I sure like seeing it. Maybe I shouldn’t keep posting pictures so people won’t want to move here:reading:... lol.
Your always welcome here.

Thanks Neil, stay cool over there, hope you have ac and something cool to drink.

Ssshhhh.. don’t say that out loud:surprised3:, already getting way too crowded here.
It is, I’m very thankful to be able to live here.

I was hoping you guys weren’t getting tired of my pictures. I like for other people to see the things I do, I sure like seeing it. Maybe I shouldn’t keep posting pictures so people won’t want to move here:reading:... lol.
Your always welcome here.
Your pics are beautiful. Country some of us will never see. Besides, someone has to actually scrounge some wood while the rest of us debate electric vs gas, favorite hunting rounds, fishing trips, maple syrup and craft beers.....

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Well sorry to derail the electric thread
Don't worry Nate, you got the power lines in the first picture, nice transition:laughing:.
Everyone likes your pictures, but how many would survive the snow :surprised3::lol:. I'd like it, I'm ready for it even though it's been pretty nice out here, 50's in the morning the last couple days :happy:.
The dolmar is looking good :rock:.
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.33.06 AM.png

I have one like that directly across the street they have asked me to take care of!
Easy peasy, just cut her down right :lol:.
Buddy had me look at one at his place the other day, it's a large maple, actually 5 that have grown together and 2 split away but still standing. He wants me to just cut off the one that's leaning away the most, it's a cut about 12' off the ground and it's about 16" across, no problem lol. Basically it needs to be dismantled and topped out, he thinks differently but I won't do it any other way unless he agrees to take out another tree it will hang up in pushing it back towards me when I cut it, the other tree is on its way out also. I'm hoping he will decide to take the second tree out, then I can drop the whole thing without climbing it, we'll see.
Here's some easy stuff, too bad it's down towards Detroit.
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.59.53 AM.png

@Logger nate If you are rolling the rounds down to the road, how do you stop the rounds from continuing down the hill?

@Logger nate If you are rolling the rounds down to the road, how do you stop the rounds from continuing down the hill?
That happens some times. This area there’s enough trees and dead fall they usually stop before the road. When I get them to the bank right before the road I try to roll (flop) them end ways then they stop on the road, unless they turn and start rolling then I usually never see them again :surprised3:. This area the road has a small berm on outside edge and road slopes to inside so that helps.

Don't worry Nate, you got the power lines in the first picture, nice transition:laughing:.
Everyone likes your pictures, but how many would survive the snow :surprised3::lol:. I'd like it, I'm ready for it even though it's been pretty nice out here, 50's in the morning the last couple days :happy:.
The dolmar is looking good :rock:.
View attachment 749230
Lol, didn’t think about that, guess I’m still on topic then;).
Thanks buddy

Latest posts

Back