Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice & Tall, is UR season still in gear?
Yep. We're in Alternative Season (ML and handgun) until the 30th, and then we continue on with Archery until the season closes on the 15th of January. I put down a corn pile just to snap some pics and see what was running around out there, otherwise I'd sneak out and put one in the freezer with the .44 while it's in season.

Since we moved in to the house in May and I knew I'd have to get quite a bit of wood cut before winter hit, I didn't bother with hunting this year. I'll get after them next year though.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my fellow woodboogers.

Another day with no sun and I gots lots of wood to split.
No, I didn't get another saw for Christmas, can't find time to use what I have.

FREDM, Oxford, CT
Same here, I've been sharpening all my chains, cleaning up my shop,stacking between rain showers, I need to split a few more cords before I bring anymore home! My place is a mud pit now, can't use the tractor until the ground freezes.

I actually got a saw for Christmas. I stopped in at my local stihl dealer before I headed up north. Really to just say hi and merry christmas. I bought a litre of oil mix and we talked for a good 1/2 hour. I asked if he had any project saws laying around and he mentioned some older jonsered pro models....he went and looked but said they are buried. Brought out a P oulan 2050 and said merry christmas. So I was thrilled I really needed a saw in this class as most my saws are quite a bit larger. Usually I pay 50-100 for a pro parts saw from him. Great guy and friend I'd say.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my fellow woodboogers.

Another day with no sun and I gots lots of wood to split.
No, I didn't get another saw for Christmas, can't find time to use what I have.

FREDM, Oxford, CT

Ha! No new saw stuff here either..don't care, got plenty. Oh wait..got two new round chain files the other day! hahaha! I am pre stacking wood to be split today, get it out of the mud. Mud season hit hard this week....that cool dry spell was a good run though.

Hey ZOG:
What happened to the other ten ? I usually get mine in a dozen pack, not that I get to use them, I have "friends".
I get my AA bateries in the twenty pack, I'm lucky if I get to use half, different "friends".

My BIL & SIL live in Cleaveland, GA. up north near the Tenn, border. Doubt I'll ever get to visit them.
Merry Christmas, Bud.

The sun came out at 10:30 AM, But I have a dinner date at 2 PM, no time to split wood.

Hey ZOG:
What happened to the other ten ? I usually get mine in a dozen pack, not that I get to use them, I have "friends".
I get my AA bateries in the twenty pack, I'm lucky if I get to use half, different "friends".

My BIL & SIL live in Cleaveland, GA. up north near the Tenn, border. Doubt I'll ever get to visit them.
Merry Christmas, Bud.

The sun came out at 10:30 AM, But I have a dinner date at 2 PM, no time to split wood.

I just buy them one at a time at my local dealer I support. I pay a bit more than buying them online by the dozen, but..they give me great deals on used stuff, so, it works out.

My two children came in from being scattered around the state and will be here a few days. That's all I need for it to be a good Christmas . We exchanged gifts with my folks last night. I try to cherish these times and think of just how fortunate we are.

I put a butt on the smoker at 2 AM. It's got about 2 hours left to cook. A feast will soon follow.

I hope all of you and your families are well. Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Was out getting ready to make the 250 mile journey up to my folks and was thinking how to put sides on the trailer to haul more firewood. I remembered seeing someone using the cages from liquid totes like these:

bb29e1cf0b04b40646bd3bea8fea3c6a.jpg

The way my trailer sits now, I'm at 60cf or around 5/8 of a cord. If I used two of those totes, I'm at 90cf or almost 3/4 of a cord. I have two of those totes in my possession.

Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work? Center of gravity would be higher, maybe draw the eye of the local law enforcement?

Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work? Center of gravity would be higher, maybe draw the eye of the local law enforcement?
Strap it down and you should be just fine. We used to haul two of those on a car trailer filled with water when we were redoing my first house before the new well was drilled.

Back