Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from the movies. Wife even liked it, we saw Midway. Very accurate factually, fantastic movie. No wonder we call them the Last Great Generation. Most of that age in today’s world, my grandkids ages, are generally a bunch of candy azz snowflakes. Wife even said on the way home that if we had to depend on them in the same way we better figure out what language we want to learn to speak.

I find the Stihl teeth are worse. If you don’t have a brand new file you aren’t even grabbing.
Never had trouble with the cutters, have to give Stihl credit on their cutter files. Those rakers blew me away. They were ground previously, plus there was up to .074” difference in the cutter length. After I ground all the teeth the same and set the rakers they cut great.

Thought I might be done scrounging for the year but when the call comes... especially from less than half a mile away. Ironwood down where I can drive right to it. Not sure how big but free BTUs are free BTUs.. supposed to get cold as heck overnight so maybe I won't work up a sweat.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Keep them grinders away from chains!:laugh:
@James Miller brought one by last week someone butchered. Took a few swipes with the file but it should be good to go.
Its very easy to do, I've messed up a few, but that was so last month :dancing:.
Many times after I hit the wood with them I'll take a couple passes of with file, especially this time of year if I grab one set up for summer in green wood, they will cut great for a couple rounds and then they are toast. Better to take a little of the hook out before starting or to take the cutters back a little than trashing them in less than a tank :eek:.

Best shot ever with a handgun for me was 150 yards. TC Encore in .308 Win., 15” barrel and Burris 2x7.
That’s really good! Great guns, I had a TC contender in 30-30 and one in 45-70, wish I still had the 30-30, super accurate for a handgun.

Just got back from the movies. Wife even liked it, we saw Midway. Very accurate factually, fantastic movie. No wonder we call them the Last Great Generation. Most of that age in today’s world, my grandkids ages, are generally a bunch of candy azz snowflakes. Wife even said on the way home that if we had to depend on them in the same way we better figure out what language we want to learn to speak.
I’ve been wanting to see Midway but deer season has gotten in the way.

That’s really good! Great guns, I had a TC contender in 30-30 and one in 45-70, wish I still had the 30-30, super accurate for a handgun.
It was the most accurate .308 I ever owned including rifles. With handloads off the bench it was sub 1”. That 15” barrel was rough to hold, definitely needed to be braced to shoot it accurately hunting. Most surprising was how mild the recoil was with grip design.

I decided to buy a Log Splitter!

https://www.bbta.com.au/products/Log-Splitter-16T.html

I've also been out cutting more of the Peppermint Tree and still have around 5m or so to go (it's around 40" round) so plenty of good wood in it still.

And this some of the types of wood we have to deal with here - hence the decision to get a log splitter!

I decided to buy a Log Splitter!

https://www.bbta.com.au/products/Log-Splitter-16T.html

I've also been out cutting more of the Peppermint Tree and still have around 5m or so to go (it's around 40" round) so plenty of good wood in it still.

And this some of the types of wood we have to deal with here - hence the decision to get a log splitter!

Jeez, it'd help if he could hit the same spot twice! That wasn't you, was it BFS?

I haven't lost the spirit to tangle with difficult splitting wood yet, but I'll admit I do pick my battles a bit more carefully than I did a few years ago. Back then, if it didn't split, you just weren't hitting it hard enough.

Jeez, it'd help if he could hit the same spot twice! That wasn't you, was it BFS?

I haven't lost the spirit to tangle with difficult splitting wood yet, but I'll admit I do pick my battles a bit more carefully than I did a few years ago. Back then, if it didn't split, you just weren't hitting it hard enough.
Steve taught me a valuable lesson awhile back. "If it doesn't split in 3 hits it gets noodled or left for the hydro".

I decided to buy a Log Splitter! https://www.bbta.com.au/products/Log-Splitter-16T.html I've also been out cutting more of the Peppermint Tree and still have around 5m or so to go (it's around 40" round) so plenty of good wood in it still. And this some of the types of wood we have to deal with here - hence the decision to get a log splitter!

looks good. should split well... 16T's! :D

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4A8AA6ECD27DA59917284A8AA6ECD27DA59&FORM=VIRE

Steve taught me a valuable lesson awhile back. "If it doesn't split in 3 hits it gets noodled or left for the hydro".

no doubt! ~ some won't go! stix a'flyin.... then one won't go! for me... I get out the 80-wt gear oil... paint on some on the chunk's end... and wedge... they go then! :yes:

and usually with ease... :chop:

... until they send in the US Marines! they [we] always... get the job done! one way or another... teen Marines and such. tuff crew! ;)

:yes:

Thought I might be done scrounging for the year but when the call comes... especially from less than half a mile away. Ironwood down where I can drive right to it. Not sure how big but free BTUs are free BTUs.. supposed to get cold as heck overnight so maybe I won't work up a sweat. Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

"hear, hear! for free BTU's!P4210045.JPG " ... free BTU's scrounged off curb doing its thing in MBR 'log cabin' fireplace other night... free BTU's to free radicals! lol

;)

Back