Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went back to the bush yesterday just for a drive around. Lots of small ash laying half down or all the way down. A big poplar is still wedged in a couple of trees, I was hoping it would fall or knock over the ones holding it up. I would cut it down but I think that will end up with a harder job as it still won't fall completely to the ground. And this clump finally fell over after years of me driving around it. I'm going to have to dump some dirt in the stump hole or it will just fill full of water and ruin the trail anyway. I'm trying to plan some major tree killing during the holidays but my wife has other plans. I want to spend a couple of days on the sawmill making dust too but that always seems to be postponed. And 3 more sales until Christmas. Built a little extension for the Steiner. This one is 7' wide now for the light snow falls. I keep one of my Steiners on the job site so I can move snow and dirt around and this site has a 600' driveway so the extra 2' makes it go a little quicker. I also have a 4' and another 5' blade at the site for larger snow falls. We set the house 2 weeks ago. Lower level walls were built on site and the upper units were built in our factory and craned in place.
From what I saw bucking downed henge, that root wad has a good chance of dropping back into the hole it left. At the same time, when the stump was going to be short, a loader kept a grip on the root wad. Guaranteed the wad wasn't coming the sawyer's way.

I always end up at the isle of man TT videos for some reason.
Happens!
IOM TT is nuts. The riders are wired differently to most of us.

Have you watched 'closer to the edge'. ? The film follows guy Martin through the TT about 5 years ago, also hutchy. . Both are in a state in hospital beds by the end.
Gotta be to do that :surprised3:. I'd still like to buzz around the course, might be able to do it in half the time they do it in lol.

Chipper, thought you might like to see this one. Bought a few items at an online sale on Wednesday. Saw is brand new but been sitting in a warehouse in the original wrapping plastic and shipping crate for 10 years. 16", The Origional Saw and included the optional 16' of roller bench and alum sure stop measuring fence. Built in Iowa. Pictures is from the US site so US dollars. I paid $450 before premium and taxes, I was hoping to get it for under $2000 so I should do alright selling it. I figured I might as well get a load while I was going so got a 20x30' greenhouse fabric building ( for my sawmill shed), a plate compactor and 40 sheets of 18' roofing steel ( in case I decide to build a sawmill shed). Darn pic of price didn't show up well US$6845 for the saw alone.
Dang, that's quite the score :numberone:.
Sell the greenhouse building to pay for a bunch of that hoard, then build the shed, you'll never be happy with the greenhouse.
I did see the price on there :envy::envy::envy::envy:.

Scrounged a little red oak a few weeks ago

View attachment 780299
What's up bud.
Nice scrounge.
I like the heavy duty mesh on the trailer. I've considered putting something on the sides of mine, but I wanted to be able to put straps through it and plywood or aluminum wouldn't work well. I think that mesh will, need to start watching for some.

Happens!

Gotta be to do that :surprised3:. I'd still like to buzz around the course, might be able to do it in half the time they do it in lol.
Brett if you can " do it in half the time" you'll be the winner because others wood take twice as long.but only if grammar school taught me correct math terms Lol:laughing:

Brett if you can " do it in half the time" you'll be the winner because others wood take twice as long.but only if grammar school taught me correct math terms Lol:laughing:
Whoops, would it help if I said it's been a long day :laughing:.
You're right for sure, so maybe if I said I could do a 1/4 of the course in half the time it takes them to do the whole thing:lol:.

SeMoTony, This cedar one has 6 or 7 stems on it and the root ball is flat and shallow due to being a wet area so I doubt it's going to move much. I'll likely cut a few small stems off first just to make sure nothing is moving. These cedars don't worry me near as much as the 80 to 100' tall dying poplars all over the place. They look decent but can be rooted all to heck and a whisper makes them fall.

Chipper1, was just thinking of the greenhouse as a winter cover instead of a crappy tarp. I considered a Shelterlogic building but it's not big enough for sawmill, the processor and a couple of splitters. I'm running out of time though so everything will likely just get tarped for this year. Too many "side jobs" this year and have way behind on getting stuff done that I want done. I'm planning on a 16'x 50' lean too where this firewood is next year. Sawmill would go at one end and firewood 4 crates deep on the other half. Thinking open on the sides as the snow never comes from that way. I leave the crates out in an open field to air dry them and move them to the side of the barn in the fall when ground is frozen.

Attachments

• 20181125_120647 (1).jpg
    20181125_120647 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
SeMoTony, This cedar one has 6 or 7 stems on it and the root ball is flat and shallow due to being a wet area so I doubt it's going to move much. I'll likely cut a few small stems off first just to make sure nothing is moving. These cedars don't worry me near as much as the 80 to 100' tall dying poplars all over the place. They look decent but can be rooted all to heck and a whisper makes them fall.
That is the nature of the henge root sw Missouri. Kinda flat palm, chance for multiple stems looking like one more than 30" across with a roughly round shallow roots 9 or more feet in diameter. Had one held by loader jaws while trunk was cut. Log fell, we backed away root ball released and fell in 2 pieces either could have laid the hurt on a cutter. Act cautiously

Yes, my neighbours brother was killed when he took a short cut thru a root ball hole and the tree sprung back up and crushed him. No 2nd chances with big trees. Was also talking to another neighbour last night and last week he was cutting a dead ash down and stumbled while backing away from the tree as it fell. Chain was still spinning and got his kneecap. Bunch of stiches so he was lucky.

Matt, your puppy seems to have the same color markings on the fur as the English Mastiff next door … he is 250 lbs!!!
You are the third to tell me Mastiff.... He has BIG paws so we will see. I’m just praying for smarts, ya can train good temperament, but it’s hard to make a dumb dog smart.

Oh, ran two tanks through the 262 today, I swear that thing is still getting stronger! Only have about 15 tanks through it as I still mainly use the 362/372 saw. But man did that 262xp do a number on the dead ash tree!

Chipper1, was just thinking of the greenhouse as a winter cover instead of a crappy tarp. I considered a Shelterlogic building but it's not big enough for sawmill, the processor and a couple of splitters. I'm running out of time though so everything will likely just get tarped for this year. Too many "side jobs" this year and have way behind on getting stuff done that I want done. I'm planning on a 16'x 50' lean too where this firewood is next year. Sawmill would go at one end and firewood 4 crates deep on the other half. Thinking open on the sides as the snow never comes from that way. I leave the crates out in an open field to air dry them and move them to the side of the barn in the fall when ground is frozen.
You still won't be happy with it. I have a 10x30 I never even set up, planned on using it for firewood, but I wanted my woodshed. I'm trying to come with terms about utilizing my basement until I can build my pole barn, I know as soon as I do that things will work out to where I can build it lol. I started building shelves down there to organize things more, unfortunately my suburban is down right now so I haven't gotten more lumber to build them. Once my wife is off for Christmas I'll get more 2x4's, it's just been too busy, tis the season :).
I loaded up another bin of odds, I've already burned two up this yr, it's been colder than average here.

You are the third to tell me Mastiff.... He has BIG paws so we will see. I’m just praying for smarts, ya can train good temperament, but it’s hard to make a dumb dog smart.

Oh, ran two tanks through the 262 today, I swear that thing is still getting stronger! Only have about 15 tanks through it as I still mainly use the 362/372 saw. But man did that 262xp do a number on the dead ash tree!
Is the 262 stock, what's been done if not.
If you're running 40:1 it will take a long time for the rings to seat in.
The last one I did I used a 254 base gasket as it's only 1 mm instead of the 2mm. You can't them tighter using a beer can or pop can gasket, but I didn't want to spend the time making one :baba:.

I always wanted a mastiff, sweet dogs, don't see one in my future.
Great looking mutt you got there.

Happens!

I'd be happy to make a lap and not bin it in spectacular fashion like Guy Martin.

A bit long but realy shows to what level that guy is wired differently from the rest of us.

Is the 262 stock, what's been done if not.
If you're running 40:1 it will take a long time for the rings to seat in.
The last one I did I used a 254 base gasket as it's only 1 mm instead of the 2mm. You can't them tighter using a beer can or pop can gasket, but I didn't want to spend the time making one :baba:.

I always wanted a mastiff, sweet dogs, don't see one in my future.
Great looking mutt you got there.

my uncles Doctor ported it. When I got it back I did a compression test, over 215psi cold. Always run 40:1. I have broken the starter rope twice on it, she’s stout.
Thanks, my nephews grew up with a Mastiff, great dog... just HUGE!

my uncles Doctor ported it. When I got it back I did a compression test, over 215psi cold. Always run 40:1. I have broken the starter rope twice on it, she’s stout.
Thanks, my nephews grew up with a Mastiff, great dog... just HUGE!
Oh snap, pun intended lol.
She'll take a while to really wake up, it's probably just starting to get good now:chainsaw:.
I had a chance at a mastiff, I just couldn't see getting a dog and then leaving it at home alone for long periods of time when I was driving truck, now we are busy with the kids :dizzy:. They are big, but gentle giants.

Latest posts

Back