Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting used to the new splitter, Black Diamond 25T. Old one was Troybilt 27T. The new one does everything the old one did, including shearing through knots but is twice the speed of the old.

Finished cord 11 and started on #12. Age is sure starting to show. 2 hours split/stack and I couldn't take any more. I had to quit leaving a small pile still to stack. Have another 4 or a bit more to go.

I here you. I hadn't been in the woods for a month. I decided to cut some wood today instead of going ice fishing. About 3 hours worth of snow/rain and I was soaked clean through.. At 28, I wouldn't have noticed. At 38, I would have toughed it out. At 48, I'm smart enough to call it a day.

Well,

Today is the first day in 3 years that i have caught up to my pile of rounds and have nothing to split. Good feeling. Probably have around 3-4 cord split ready to stack.

This is the 2nd week in the past month and a half that my wife and son have been gone for a full week. Getting a LOT done in their absence.

My ass has not touched the couch or recliner in the house for 5 days. Work/sleep/work/sleep

Im also really liking my 2166/72 around the wood pile. Noodling/ cutting up limbs/ squaring off ends (wood that other people cut....i swear i swear [emoji16]) Great saw.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I hope that silo is reinforced, ever seen guys knock one down with a hammer? I imagine a 300win Mag hits like a hammer....
If I was going to hold up in a silo, I'd make sure I had my buddy with his 1919 Browning, belt fed 30-06. By the time that guy got off 3 rounds at my silo, we would have 100 at his muzzle flash. His uncle used to do transfers for me, before I got my FFL. One time he was showing me something in one of his safe's. I said, "Ed what's that big square thing in the back?" He said, "it's my 1919 Browning, I keep the barrel in another safe. I used to shoot it in the berm in the back yard, can't do that any more!". He lived in Lansdown, which is just over the line of Baltimore city. Can you imagine shooting a machine gun in Baltimore. Oh, the good old days.

That's the beauty of owning a splitter, you can pick away at it whenever you want. Glad it's working good for you.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
That is real nice, much better than renting one, but sometimes a little forced motivation goes a long way.

AWSOME saw picture. Love them high top huskys

Thanks man.
What's funny is I like the look of the low top, the high tops don't get in the way, so I'm not sure why o_O.
There are a LOT LOT of those things on in Europe on farms. Very cool.

Id love one.

I'd like to find another one, the price of them has gotten way out of reach, I'd need to find another one that needed work done on it. When I get my barn built I'll probably build something like a Suzuki samurai. It's a titled vehicle so it can be used on the rd and you know you can do what you want with the chassis and you could easily mount the same box on the back if the frame was slightly extended.

I managed to split another 11th of my wood for next yr, good to get some more done. Hopefully I can get another done tomorrow and another 11th done on Monday, then I'd only need a couple more rows in the shed for next yr. I'd like to get this yrs finished up and then have two yrs out done as soon as we finish burning. It should be pretty easy to do if I stay on it.
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 5.23.13 PM.png

Any of you bicycle riders do things like RAGBRAI? Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. This year it ends in Clinton, Iowa, just a hop, skip and a jump as the crow flies from where I grew up.

https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/ragbrai-2020-route-announced/

It starts in Le Mars, Ice cream capital of the world.
RAGBRAI’s staff all quit & started another ride across Iowa, they said it had become to commercial & was getting away from its roots in small towns, mom & pop stands. I would agree whole heartedly. I have done it twice & really don’t care to do it again. I watched them shut down at least two water stands that kids where running because they didn’t have permits. It has overnighted our town of 1500 twice & it costs the town more to have an overnight than the community ever gets back. Several communities refuse to let them overnight. There were several articles in the Des Moines Register & other papers about it.

James.

This is funny, holds his line.

I have hit 59 MPH on my bike on the downhill.

One time we were going on some downhill twisties and 3 crotch rocket bikes started to pass us. One of our crazy guys just let it all hang out and stayed right with them. They ended up stopping at the next stop sign, removing their helmets, and they praised the heck out of our guy for what he did, they just couldn't believe it.

That guy was F en Crazy, we all thought he was going to die (on many occasions).

Had a couple of hours to myself this afternoon so ,,,

20200201_132243.jpg 20200201_140844.jpg
I went out and cut some dead standing spruce and fir to replace what we burnt this week .
I only grabbed stuff that was close to the road .
I spotted this nice blowdown , thot it was dead ,,,

20200201_154734_HDR.jpg
Daum Juniper , still green .
I'm happy with this quick load :)

20200201_155056_HDR.jpg 20200201_161156.jpg

Got the length of white pine in the right of way cleaned up and hauled home. Dinged the 130’s chain on something in the snow but was able to finish the bucking cuts.

Noodled the Norway pine rounds up with the 5020. Full chisel in pine sure makes you feel like your saw is unstoppable lol.

64C68029-BC8B-4062-8638-3547796366BC.jpeg A11C951C-3C1C-436F-9E22-4DFDFD62D85C.jpeg

The white pine
1365A390-227B-4EB0-8BFB-18657202FB4D.jpeg

I have hit 59 MPH on my bike on the downhill.

One time we were going on some downhill twisties and 3 crotch rocket bikes started to pass us. One of our crazy guys just let it all hang out and stayed right with them. They ended up stopping at the next stop sign, removing their helmets, and the praised the heck out of our guy for what he did, they just couldn't believe it.

That guy was F en Crazy, we all thought he was going to die (on many occasions).

Ya not to hard breaking the speed limit on a good bike. Done it a few times on the ride in lake George . One of our guys is like that rides 100 k like it's just another day. Hes actually got sponsors from bike and sport drinks

11pm here laying on the couch with the AC on and it’s still 97f outside. I think may spend the night here :angry:

I hear you. Played cricket in 40°C (104°F) yesterday, ran around in the field for 2 hours then batted for two hours. We got home, took out the top team, but I looked like a dehydrated beetroot at the end. Took a lot of beer to rehydrate afterwards. :cheers: :numberone:

Getting used to the new splitter, Black Diamond 25T. Old one was Troybilt 27T. The new one does everything the old one did, including shearing through knots but is twice the speed of the old.

Finished cord 11 and started on #12. Age is sure starting to show. 2 hours split/stack and I couldn't take any more. I had to quit leaving a small pile still to stack. Have another 4 or a bit more to go.

You're doing awesomely. Sure, you can slow down a little with age, but you're not allowed to stop. Whatever happens, don't stop. Anyway, you could stihl kick the ass of most millennials when it comes to the wooding.

The Lord giveth some scrounge last night. High winds blew up a couple spruce out back.
View attachment 794311 View attachment 794316 View attachment 794318 View attachment 794320

SPRUUUUUUUCE!!

Is there anything it can't do?

A picture from today while splitting, the puppy came to say hi.

And then the little one asked if I could make a Swiss candle. Showed me a YouTube video..... of course I obliged!

I kept waiting for her to burn herself, warned her a few times.... then decided that sometimes, pain is the best teacher! If she isn’t gonna listen to me, maybe learning the hard way will help, but luckily we had fun with no injuries. She reminds me so much of me, it’s FRUSTRATING!!!!

Attachments

• C18E253D-0A53-4ED7-AE9F-6419166F49C4.jpeg
    C18E253D-0A53-4ED7-AE9F-6419166F49C4.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 33
  • B24E4FF9-BCDF-45C9-9621-A7BA2D7B4F78.jpeg
    B24E4FF9-BCDF-45C9-9621-A7BA2D7B4F78.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 9AFBBB2F-24E2-4289-B3DB-8D74A5F3D514.jpeg
    9AFBBB2F-24E2-4289-B3DB-8D74A5F3D514.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 95CF2D85-385C-43F8-AFEE-B4C9E9110095.jpeg
    95CF2D85-385C-43F8-AFEE-B4C9E9110095.jpeg